WW1 Dennis truck find

Great War truck

Congratulations.

I've really enjoyed watching the progress of your inspirational restoration of this Dennis over the past few years, and great to see her out in the sunshine.

Looking forward to seeing her en-route to Brighton next Sunday.

Cheers,

John

Thanks for all of your kind comments chaps. It was quite an exciting day! Still a lot to do though.

Must have been the brand new state of the clutch , but its speed suprised me with the lurch it first gave !!

Actually, we are still on the original 90 year old clutch lining. As the engine drove a fire pump originally, it has suffered very little wear. The clutch is, however, sticking in the flywheel and needs a mighty kick to get it to let go which is why I stalled it pulling out of the shed. I really wanted not to drive onto Mother's lawn! The clutch has three coil springs pressurised with a nut and locknut. Barry and Graham went underneath and removed the locknuts to allow the springs to relax by another half an inch and that made it a lot easier although it is still sticking. A long run will do it a lot of good giving the flywheel and linings a good polish and making it easier to let go. Well, at least I hope so!

I see this morning that there is a patch on the driveway underneath the fuel tap. Something else to look at.

It Works!!!!!

Steve :-D

From the HCVS press release: http://www.hcvs.co.uk/page1-events_results/page1-events_results.htm

The run starts from Crystal Palace Park, Anerley Hill, SE19 between 7:00am and 9:00am and the vehicles can be seen as they progress along the route, which passes through Streatham Common and follows the A23 through Purley, Redhill, Crawley (half-way halt at Broadfield Stadium off the Crawley by-pass). There is a diversion from the A23 at Pease Pottage via Handcross Village, Watermans Green, Staplefield, Cuckfield, Ansty, Burgess Hill to Pyecombe, where the route rejoins the A23. Have a great day out in Brighton seeing the vehicles arrive and on display along Madeira Drive from 10:30am with the Concours d’Elegance Awards Presentation at 4:00pm.

Thanks for all of your kind comments chaps. Here are a few more photos and images. I am trying photo bucket instead of Youtube for the video. Please let me know if you have trouble with it and i will rethink how to do this. Please click on the images to start playing.

This clip is of it being started. A real group effort:

th_MVI_5610.jpg

As you will see the clutch is a bit fierce, but after we stalled it a few times we readjusted it and it is much better:

th_MVI_5612.jpg

As before, the engine does run remarkably well:

th_MVI_5620.jpg

Here we go, down the steep lane test track just to make sure the brakes work. Graham is carrying a big lump of wood in case it starts running away:

th_MVI_5629.jpg

As we approached the turn around point on our road run there was a horrible dinging noise from under the bonnet. As we had turned hard, one of the fan blades had come in to contact with a radiator bolt causing it to bend and which then smacked the back of the rad.

IMG_5634.jpg

IMG_5635.jpg

Not too much damage but a bit of an annoyance and some extra work.

The trip back and up the hill was quite straight forward, but the gate really is too narrow and we may have to do something about that:

IMG_5637.jpg

All the low speed manouvering caused one of the front tires to creep off the edge of the wheel:

IMG_5646.jpg

This was simply pushed back on with a hammer and block of metal. To stop it coming off again though we made some new metal staples and tapped out the remains of the old ones which we had cut off to get the tire off and puched the new ones in. About 30 minutes work to get all four done:

IMG_5647.jpg

IMG_5648.jpg

IMG_5649.jpg

There was quite a bit of smoke as we started off. it appeared that all the heat resistant paint on the exhaust had burned off:

IMG_5640.jpg

All the problems we had were very quickly overcome with the assistance of our great group of friends. Thanks guys. I hope you enjoyed the beer:

IMG_5645.jpg

Fantastic!

What museum would go to such lengths to get such a "mundane" machine into display condition?,let alone running from such an unpromising base!

The bit about the tyres coming away from the rims, shows that there's always a reason for what appear to be un-needed bits!