Jump to content

Richard Farrant

Moderators
  • Content Count

    11,096
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    29

Everything posted by Richard Farrant

  1. Hi, I have not found the book with details of modified carb yet, but will have another search for my book. If it was a modified carb there will be a long number stamped on the flange of the throttle body ( it meets the manifold), on the long side of the flange. The number started with the letter M. I somehow doubt that many Fox vehicles were fitted with them as the carb became available very close to them going out of service, and would only have been fitted if a replacement was needed. I have fitted these carbs to several Fox and CVR(T) vehicles and modified one carb with a kit supplied
  2. I will send the details when I get home tonight, it is identified by the base of the carb
  3. Steve, This is a normal Military Junior filter I take it? Never seen an o-ring seal used there, all filters I have used have a gasket ring supplied and they seal well, no need to user a sealer either.
  4. Lesson learnt! You never use a torque wrench to undo something. It nearly always needs more torque to undo. I have had to undo flange nuts on earthmover axles and you have to use a torque multiplier on them.
  5. Here is a photo of a combined one, yours appear to be separate ones,
  6. From what I see they are the ones used for MK/MJ, TK, RL, QL. Not TM as they had different axles.
  7. Bedford hub spanners by looks of it, normally they are double ended.
  8. I am pretty sure these burners were still in use in the 70's and 80's as the REME workshops still had an overhaul programme running during that time, if not later.
  9. From recollection of the Eager Beaver parts book, the power steering unit was under a Coventry Climax NSN, I can see it is a Danfoss, but likely a unit fitted to a Climax forklift in military service. The Eager Beaver was a 'parts bin' vehicle made up of parts from a number of different make vehicles.
  10. This link below shows what could be the production model of the ground power unit, the first two or three adverts alongside a Valiant. https://www.aviationancestry.co.uk/?searchQuery=Houchin&startYear=1909&endYear=1980
  11. The one shown above was less than half the height of the trailer in question so they could get close up to the aircraft, I saw a lot of these as the makers used the loading ramp at our workshop to transport them away. I did notice on the contract plate that it was 'prototype' some likely it was a one off
  12. To narrow this down a bit, I see that the equipment was made by Houchin. Their factory was opposite where I worked at Ashford and knew a lot of people who worked there. Their speciality was ground power and engine starter units for aircraft and these units could be seen at civil and military airports around the world. As they moved to a large purpose built factory at Ashford in the late 50's I would date it in a period roughly 1955-59. The company went through take overs and the factory is no longer there.
  13. There is a better Champ than that for sale in South Australia
  14. Hi Rob, The Mk5 Coles had a 760 engine and a bit more poke than the Militant Mk1, as you say, a lot of weight up top!
  15. It say Vulcan on the description. That was a British make of lorry.
  16. Ha, ha, I know those wretched lights at that junction! Wish I had seen you come through Ashford. I bet it goes a bit faster the the Militant with the Coles bridging crane, they weighed about 25 tons. Richard
  17. Thanks Lex, The original wire wound pistons for the Commer were made by BHB as were those for the c.1950 Matchless. It was a Matchless owner in the Workshops who realised the difference in pistons and the clearance differences!
  18. Hi Ron, I have been rebuilding engines of all shapes and sizes for over 50 years. I think that each make of piston should be considered independently. The manual would refer to using factory supplied pistons. As years go on different manufacturers will be making pistons for replacement. Usually there is a leaflet in the package giving clearance per inch, I know Hepolite and Wellworthy did this. Things can go wrong though and I will give an example, not a motorcycle, but was related to military vehicles. I was working in a MoD Workshop rebuilding engines for vehicles and was given a small
  19. Don’t forget in those days speed limit for over 3 ton vehicles was 20mph, so understandable that abnormal would be lower speed limit.
  20. The wording you can see is Radicon, they were well known for worm drive gear units and part of David Brown gear company. The winch is definitely not from a QL as they used Turner and Wild winches and very unlikely to be original equipment on a Canadian vehicle.
  21. Hi all, Just seen these wheels on a Aussie forum, looks like the diff is missing from the axle. Does anyone recognise them? Apparently they are in Brisbane
  22. A lot of the British military vehicles did not have electrical fuel gauges in WW2 period, there were vehicles with mechanical gauges in the tanks but most were supplied with graduated dipsticks, the Bedfords had a pressed metal one about 2 inches wide and marked off in gallons. I believe in the army it was a chargeable offense to run out of fuel, so no excuse that the gauge must have been wrong!
  23. Hi, Forgive me for asking, but you say you cracked the injectors pipes open, but did not mention about bleeding the injection pump. This video might give you some tips, first part the guy is changing the fuel hoses due to "diesel bug" but his bleeding procedure may be useful to you.
  24. Ah, caught out there as I was going by the original bonnet, thank!
×
×
  • Create New...