WW1 Dennis truck find

Great War truck

The cab floor has been given priority today - we are very aware that it will be only three weeks today that we shall be loading the lorry onto a transporter to get it to the start of the "Brighton"! And it has not been on the road at all yet - utter brinkmanship!

The main part of the floor - forgetting the various supports is in three sections and each one of them is an awkward shape with various cut-outs in them. The sequence of photographs show them adequately and do not need further explanation. The centre part has to be able to be lifted out for access to the various parts that need lubrication. As each part was made, it was continually lifted in and out to make sure that the fit was good.

DSCN4166.jpg

DSCN4167.jpg

DSCN4170.jpg

DSCN4172.jpg

With the continuing good weather, we were again able to use the trailer parked up just out side the shed as an additional bench which was a god-send. As we anticipated doing, we have fitted a piece of 2" angle under part of the floor to brace it up where the wood will have been weakened with so many cut-outs in it.

DSCN4175.jpg

DSCN4177.jpg

Again the sequence of photos is quite self-explanatory. There is a fourth piece of floor to go in, to the right of the driver. There is no door to the cab on the driver's side - that side is permanently closed with a wood panel in where you might think that a door would be. The driver enters through the near-side and slides along the seat. The off-side entrance would be blocked by the gear lever and the brake so it would not be easily possible to get past them.

So the natural sequence now is to fit that wood side to the cab and then shape the fourth segment of the floor to fill the gap between that panel and the section of floor neighbouring it which has now been fitted.

And of course, all of this has to be taken out again to be painted!

DSCN4179.jpg

DSCN4181.jpg

DSCN4183.jpg

DSCN4184.jpg

DSCN4187.jpg

And whilst all of the floor-making is going on, more of the never-ending painting!

DSCN4171.jpg

DSCN4176.jpg

Steve - who is still in Devon but returns home today - with Tony, went over to Mark (our Carpenter friend) this morning to collect the timber which Mark had again prepared for us, for the side panel to go next to the Driver - and also for the Toolbox and Rack for the three 2 gallon tins. Mark had said that he would make the Toolbox and Rack for us to save some time - and this he had done - a super job.

DSCN4190.jpg

DSCN4191.jpg

DSCN4192.jpg

DSCN4193.jpg

We are now very much thinking of all the remaining important jobs that have to be completed - and the footstep falls into this category. Steve had made the actual step sometime ago but the actual supports for it which bolt to the chassis were still outstanding. These consist of two lengths of 2" x 1/2" steel but they have to be bent roughly into a "Z" shape to bolt to the chassis and take the step. Usual procedure here - get the steel red hot and then lean on it until it looks about right!

DSCN4196.jpg

DSCN4198.jpg

DSCN4199.jpg

DSCN4200.jpg

But there are two of these so the same procedure has to be followed for the second one - and checked every so often during the bending process to ensure that it is identical to the first one!

DSCN4203.jpg

DSCN4207.jpg

DSCN4208.jpg

DSCN4210.jpg

DSCN4214.jpg

Drill some fixing holes in the lengths of steel - bolt them up to the chassis - the holes are still there from the original brackets - and try them! Some minor adjustment required - one is over-bent so straighten it out a lttle under control with the hydraulic press - and "Bob's your uncle" - job done!

DSCN4216.jpg

DSCN4218.jpg

DSCN4219.jpg

DSCN4220.jpg

DSCN4221.jpg

Mark had completed the donkey work for the Driver's side panel - it was case of screwing the planks together and fitting them. Looks good!

All of this work today has left another pile of work for the Paint Shop crew! Steve is returning to Axminster again next weekend with so much still to do and the intention is that all of the painting should be completed by then so final fixing and installation can take place!

DSCN4222.jpg

DSCN4225.jpg

DSCN4227.jpg

I have just finished off the two gallon petrol tins for the Dennis. The colour may raise a few eyebrows, but looking at an ASC memo dated 11 June 1915 which states "all tins that are used for oil, paraffin and water must be painted black, with a white W, P or O as the case may be marked on both sides". "Tins that are used for petrol are to be left their original colour", i think the result is right. Many of the photos show the tins being battered and of unidentifiable colour although i have several where everything is obviously black.

I have found one original 1918 WD petrol tin (which is black) and too nice to use, so i have selected three WW2 plain tins and painted them accordingly. As you can see one has the WD arrow on the handle which is the same marking location used during WW1.

IMG_5420.jpg

IMG_5422.jpg

IMG_5421.jpg

I did the letters using stencils from Axholme and they were very easy to use, so thanks guys. I have the correct plain type lids which just need a good polish.

A couple of years ago, we were very fortunate to find this horn on Ebay. It had been picked up by a Dutchman from somewhere near Ypres so the provenance was good. It was also painted green and marked WD so it was a very good find indeed.

DSCN2300.jpg

DSCN2301.jpg

Unfortunately, the mounting tube was missing, the reed was broken and the front gauze punched through so Steve has had to do some work to it. First job was a nice bit of brass turning and screw cutting to make up the tube and nut.

DSCN2332.jpg

DSCN2334.jpg

Then he managed to dismantle the remains of the reed and replace the vibrating part which proved easier than anticipated.

DSCN2335.jpg

DSCN2337.jpg

The final part was the gauze. The brass ring was bent and the gauze had been torn out so Steve firstly annealed it and then carefully opened up the crimp around the edge.

DSCN2338.jpg

DSCN2339.jpg

Then, after cleaning, he cut some more gauze and crimped it back in.

DSCN2342.jpg

The final part is painting and reassembling. So far, the horn has been primed. Father will apply the final green coats in Devon.

DSCN2344.jpg

The new reed has been tried and, much to Steve's surprise, worked first time although only very quietly. This was improved once the newspaper had been extracted from the bell where it had been placed to keep the paint out!

Two weeks to go!

This weekend, the "team" re-assembled in Devon with the aim of finishing off as many of the outstanding items that we could for final completion and fitting. Many bits had been previously made and finished and were just awaiting final attachment or fitting to the lorry. The front wings had been completed earlier and trial-fitted, but now that everything had been fully painted, they were ready for permanent attachment to the lorry. This was completed during the day and are looking good.

DSCN4254.jpg

DSCN4256.jpg

DSCN4258.jpg

DSCN4261.jpg

DSCN4262.jpg

The brackets to hold the shovel and pick were fitted to the side, The brackets to hold the seat box to the chassis were bolted on - this was not an easy job as most of the bolts that hold the seat box are obscured by the body tub. We guess that when the lorry was first made, all of these fittings were completed before the main body tub was fitted as they would have been much easier to get at then.

Steve turned his attention to the throttle linkage - still not completed but perhaps tomorrow - and the final thing attached was the footstep up into the driving position.

We still await the canvas and this is now expected next Thursday!

DSCN4265.jpg

DSCN4267.jpg

DSCN4269.jpg

DSCN4273.jpg

DSCN4276.jpg

Getting near the end of the job and a busy day on the final items. The main thing today was the linkage from the driver's controls to the Magneto and the Carburetor which Steve has worked on. We had a "mish-mash" of bits from different sources for that and Steve has made other bits to complete the job. However, not finished assembling that one today so the aim now is to finish that early next weekend as we plan to take the lorry out for the first time.

Tim has been filling up all the Greasers and amongst other final jobs, the tail board hinge pin has been crossed-drilled at the ends and pinned.

DSCN4278.jpg

DSCN4279.jpg

DSCN4280.jpg

DSCN4277.jpg

Please tell me more about your split pins. I have always associated this type of pin (with the large oval head) as being American.

Barry.

Well, I can't really tell you any more about them as I always assumed that a Split Pin was a Split Pin. We usually buy things like that when we see them and put them on the shelf as part of standard stock so that they are there when we need them. I guess these must have come from an Autojumble or somewhere like that but I cannot remember - perhaps Steve will when he picks this up in due course, almost certainly later today. We always refer to them as "Split Pins" but they are also known as "Cotter Pins".

Tony

Barry,

I have come across this kind of split pin in both the UK and France. It's more a question of manufacturer than anything else. I liked the small eyed ones, which were un-plated mild steel and relatively long that I used a lot in another life a a heavy vehicle mechanic.

Regards, Matthew

Please tell me more about your split pins. I have always associated this type of pin (with the large oval head) as being American.

Barry.

QUOTE Isn't it awful! You spend 10 years restoring a pile of rust to a magnificent Dennis and then someone 'nitpicks' about a split pin that you have used...

No! I take that as a sign of an enquiring and discerning eye of someone, like us, who wants to get things right!

Tony

Isn't it awful! You spend 10 years restoring a pile of rust to a magnificent Dennis and then someone 'nitpicks' about a split pin that you have used...

Barry.

As Dad says, it is great to pick up snippets of information, offered in a positive manner. We are always pleased to learn! After all, the only way a big job can be right is if all of the little bits are right and one can't know everything, although we do try!

Steve :D

One of the few things preventing us from running now is the throttle control. We have a variety of bits from various sources and a picture from the parts book. We also have a couple of assembly drawings and the detail drawing of the scuttle but everything seems to contradict each other! I have been puzzling over this for some time and decided, after making a few bits and pieces, that the time was ripe to have a go at putting it together.

The photos above show how far I managed to get before realising that I didn't have a drop arm on the pedal shaft. A rummage in the bits box found this original item but as you can see, it is a bit poorly! I also found the remains of a drop arm where the arm had been sawn off leaving only the boss. I first turned a shoulder on the boss and roughed out a plate to be the arm. This, I silver soldered onto the boss after which it was just a case of filing it up which I have done this evening. One more piece down.

Now I have realised that I am also short of rod-end ball-joints so I must make four before I return to Devon on Friday. The first outing is planned for Sunday so I really must finish them. The pressure is on!

Steve

DSCN2348c.JPG

DSCN2349c.JPG

DSCN2346c.JPG

DSCN2351c.JPG

Isn't it awful! You spend 10 years restoring a pile of rust to a magnificent Dennis and then someone 'nitpicks' about a split pin that you have used...

Barry.

My nit pick was one dot on a regiment marking on the front of my haflinger the chap went on and on and on ..................... Jealous pratt!! It`s JEALOUSY ! SO THERE !!

Called on Martin and Jim of "Allied Forces" today to pick up the canvas for the Dennis. They were still working on the Cab Roof when we got there, just putting in the final touches - and what a superb job has been made again. As well as the cab roof, they have made the cushions for the front seat, the side "door" on the passenger side and the main canvas sheet to go over the main body.

The "roof" has been put together on a jig which Steve made up, designed to hold the bows in their correct erect positions. The initial slackness in the canvas will quickly disappear as it weathers. The cab will go on over the coming weekend.

We speak only as customers but they have made a superb job of it and have been really interested in the whole project as it has progressed. We would recommend them to anybody.

DSCN4292.jpg

DSCN4294.jpg

DSCN4295.jpg

DSCN4297.jpg

DSCN4298.jpg

We are now working towards the big start-up on Sunday. To that end, I have been making up some more ball joints for the throttle linkage. I thought that only ten were required but there are actually fourteen of the things! There must be an easier way. Anyway, I turned up five balls (one replacement for a worn original), the four housings and the end plugs. The housings have slots in them to trap a split pin and there are slots and a cross-hole in the plugs as well so they are not just simple turning jobs. These four joints represent about eight hours this week. You can tell that I have not been spending my time gardening or dusting! Down to Devon tomorrow to install them ready for Sunday.

Steve :cheesy:

DSCN2353c.JPG

DSCN2356c.JPG

DSCN2357c.JPG

DSCN2352c.JPG

Thanks Fayjo. That's pretty!

We have been working on tidying the last odds and ends up ready for the first run but we are still not quite there. With eight joints between the throttle pedal and carburettor, the backlash is terrible! We hope to be on the road by lunchtime. Will keep you posted!

Steve

A superb day! This was the day that our first road-run was scheduled and we all were a little apprehensive on how it would go! We were joined by our good friends Barry W and Graham S from Bedford and Roley M and Timmy from Bridport together with our neighbour Chris R – all wanting to see the fun and help wherever and whenever we needed it.

We have never fully seen the lorry from outside the close confines of the Shed and that was something else that we were looking forward to - to be able to stand back and see it as a whole.

As before, more than one pair of hands on the starting handle rope to get it going as it is really hard to turn over but again it fired up fairly quickly and with Steve behind the driving wheel, it came out into the sunlight. We were surprised with the fairly tight turning circle for such a lorry, but it came out into the drive and was turned to face the gate for the road run.

Its first journey and the first journey for any of the lorries that we have previously completed is the difficult one as we have to come out through a narrow gateway and immediately turn through 90 degrees to go down a narrow steep lane to join the main road. The National Trust Property is situated right at the foot of our hill. No problem! We stopped at the foot of the hill after descending beautifully in first gear under full control – this was the first journey! At the foot of the hill, we were joined by all of those that wanted a ride to drive through the village and then back again. A trouble-free journey although the fan was touching the back of the radiator and making a “tinging” noise which calls for an adjustment.

So it was back up the hill, reverse into the driveway and stand back to savour the moment.

DSCN4305.jpg

DSCN4310.jpg

DSCN4338.jpg

DSCN4346.jpg

DSCN4350.jpg

DSCN4351.jpg

DSCN4353.jpg

DSCN4354.jpg

DSCN4355.jpg

DSCN4356.jpg

More in a moment