Jump to content

Old Bill

Members
  • Content Count

    1,349
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    16

Old Bill last won the day on October 11

Old Bill had the most liked content!

Community Reputation

31 Excellent

About Old Bill

  • Rank
    Lieutenant-Colonel
  • Birthday 01/18/1965

Personal Information

  • Location
    Leicestershire
  • Interests
    Military Vehicles, miniature steam locomotives, ships, aeroplanes, anything mechanical.
  • Occupation
    Refuse Collection Vehicle Designer

Recent Profile Visitors

10,151 profile views
  1. Thanks Alastair. That is a nice project. Don't worry about thread hijacking. I think of this forum as a bunch of mates in the pub sitting around a table talking about a common interest. It is always nice to see what everyone else is up to. My Peerless activities have been severely hampered by this Covid busines. I need to spend much more time in Devon but have curtailed my travelling. It is such a pain being 200 miles from one's project! Steve
  2. That's what friends are for and why I like this forum so much! We need a picture of the vehicle now! Steve 😀
  3. Think I might struggle with that one and would probably end up making a tap instead! Nice job! Steve
  4. You are too kind, Ed. We only do it for the fun of it and the friends we make around the world. Steve
  5. Can't leave Dad to have all the fun! Now that the front wheels are on along with the track rod, king pins and stub axles, the king pins need some greasers. We are fortunate to have the remains of three but, of course, we will eventually need four. They screw into the top of the king pin and , when the knob is turned, a piston is driven downwards expelling the grease and pushing it down the hole in the king pin. I took them apart for a clean and to assess what parts were missing. This was the most complete example having both the knob and locking clip. We have two
  6. I have just had a nice weekend in Devon where we did a little more. The 1 3/16" x 12 tpi tap and die had turned up so I set to on tidying up the track rod. The die is a metric diameter for an imperial thread and we don't have a die stock that size. Fortunately, the thread wasn't too garbled and I managed to pull it around by hand and strap wrench to clean it up. The die isn't of the split pattern so it took that treatment. A good greasing this time with the thickest grease I could find (Rated ' Consistency 2' on the tin). I screwed it into roughly the right positi
  7. Hi Ian. I think there has been a software glitch with the provider. Jack and Co have sorted it, fortunately! Steve
  8. Thanks Ed. Nice to hear from you again! Yes, I did think that 2" toe-in would be a bit excessive. It is always nice to have the voice of experience so we can get it right first time. Steve
  9. Thanks Bernard and Andy for your kind offer and suggestions. I think Father has tracked a tap and die down so, with a bit of luck, we will be sorted shortly. Just have to pay the bill! It is amazing what you can find when you start looking. 3/8" UNS nuts still elude us, however. We may have to resort to making the things. Oh well. Steve
  10. Well, I am back in Leicestershire again and, having managed to dodge the bank holiday traffic, had a couple of hours this afternoon to take a look at the track rod. It was a bit of a puzzle to work out how it went together. There is a screw thread inside which must provide the adjustment but how does that nut work? A closer look revealed a slot cut in the clevis. I decided that rather than being a simple lock-nut, the nut must have a tapered bore which squeezes the clevis onto the thread. Only thing to do was to try to take it apart. Clamp it to the bench and get
  11. We took the track rod off again to see if it could be adjusted. Now onto the back axle. The U-bolts at the rear are OK but access to the nuts is very difficult. I managed to find a deep 29mm impact socket which would do the job except that it was still too big in diameter to fit without fouling the axle. I put it up in the lathe and, running it slowly with a tipped tool, managed to turn 1/8" off the diameter which was just enough. Back axle now secured to the limit of my strength with a 3/4" drive socket wrench! The back axle is mounted on swinging links at both ends a
  12. Father had previously rescued and cleaned up some lock washers. Wheels next! I fitted the inner race after greasing it up and then screwed in the locking ring. This has a grub screw in the joint to stop it unscrewing. The two of us can just lift a front wheel so we put that on the stub whilst father fitted the other race. The securing nut and some shim washers to set the end float and the wheel was on! Dad had already cleaned and painted a hub cap spo that was fitted. Coming on now! Track rod next with Father's brand new pins.
  13. Time to fit the front axle! We lifted it into position and balanced it on a stool while we fitted the U-bolts. The other end was trickier of courseas the holes did not line up but with a little help from a bottle jack to push the springs apart, they went in. We fitted them with ordinary plain 5/8" UNF nuts, just nipped up for the time being until we can fit the overload springs. New balls were fitted to the king-pin thrust races. I fed the king pin through whilst Tim held the stub axle. The king pin screws into the lower part of the axle and a
  14. The U-bolts were supplied with 5/8" UNF Nylocs. We won't be using them! Steve
×
×
  • Create New...