Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won


Everything posted by sirhc

  1. Go when the website says your vehicle exempt. https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-exempt-from-vehicle-tax You may need to wait until April.
  2. It doesn’t have to be a main post office. I have done it at a few different ones. You just need to find one with helpful and competent staff. Where I used to live the little village post office were very helpful and less of a queue than a main post office.
  3. I’ve changed tax class to historic on 4 vehicles so far. It is very easy. Take the V5 to the post office, tell them what you want to do and walk out 5 mins later with it all sorted. A new V5 appears in the post, the next year you can renew the tax online for free.
  4. Yes Normandy last year... Looks like you’re all good now 👍🏻
  5. Seems to work for me? Posted from my phone.
  6. I've been using Prestone from Costco for years.
  7. It’s all here. https://www.gov.uk/historic-vehicles
  8. You won’t find new 6.50 tyres, but there are plenty of clones in the 7.50 size. I got Deestones but I believe there are also some branded as Security & Flamingo.
  9. No. Works fine on both iPhone & PC for me.
  10. You could try this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221381003339
  11. Oil type and capacity is in here: https://www.greenmachinesurplus.com/cvrx28tx29x28dx29maintenance-schedule-1247-p.asp Filter number is either on the tag on the unit or in the parts book: https://www.greenmachinesurplus.com/cvrx28tx29x28dx29common-itemsillustrated-parts-list-2896-p.asp https://www.thexmod.com/item_detail.asp?id=3076&t=Filter_Hydrallic_Gearbox__270L123_/_AS061926
  12. Hi Graham, I have some parts, but not the ring or mantlet. Chris
  13. There was one at Tanks, Trucks & Firepower last month.
  14. Maybe https://www.hamptonsuk.co.uk Or https://www.crouchmilitarysales.co.uk
  15. Hi, In your Spartan the intercom and radio are powered separately, but both should be powered from the second set of batteries by the back door. There is a separate master switch for this. Do you have the manuals? Chris
  16. ISO 10 hydraulic oil. If it’s losing fluid that’s not good and needs investigating.
  17. When I was looking for someone to rebuild a starter Barry Ring suggested using a Denso high torque starter. We fitted one and have had no issues. https://www.amp-starters.co.uk/Automotive-Equipment/WOSP-Reduction-Gear-Starter-Motors/Willys-Jeep-Starters/WOSP-LMS250---New-Willys-Jeep-97-tooth-flywheel-Reduction-Gear-Starter-Motor__p-5435-599-3460-34217.aspx
  18. £270/year https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax-rate-tables/rates-for-cars-and-light-goods-vehicles-registered-before-1-march-2001
  19. Hi Andy, I suspect Cornwall might be a bit far for TheAmericanPatriot to send his wheels! Chris
  20. Welcome to CVRTs... the rubber will fall off your best looking wheels, and stay on the scabby horrible ones forever. Age, manufacturer and how they have been stored all play a part, but you can never tell when the rubber is going to come off. I once had the rubber come off on a bend, I turned and it went straight on. The solution to your problem is to keep plenty of spares in stock and buy the newest ones you can find. Chris
  21. Clive, this is the sight: https://www.milweb.net/classifieds/large_image.php?ad=78520&cat=8 Chris
  22. You may think that buying a complete Jeep will save you a lot of money, but bear in mind nearly everything will be worn out or need work in some way. Engine, gearbox, axles, steering box etc parts are not cheap, NOS may not be available and reproduction parts vary a lot in quality. Whatever you think it may cost to do a restoration... it will cost more! Chris
  23. I did mine in my Sabre. Booked the test online, examiner came to the house. He was an ex-army driving instructor. He stood and watched while I did a few circuits round the houses. A couple of manoeuvres, Highway Code questions and it was done. It might have changed now. I think it cost around £65. https://www.gov.uk/learning-to-drive-a-tractor-or-specialist-vehicle/driving-tests-for-tractors-and-specialist-vehicles Chris
  24. Hi Lance, The issue with the Fox is that it has 4 wheels but is not a goods vehicle, which is what confuses the DVLA. The Department for Transport have advised people on several occasions to classify it as a Motor Tractor which is what we did with ours, as John suggests. Registering a CVRT as a crawler is not an issue as it’s obviously got tracks so the DVLA staff can easily compute that! Chris
  • Create New...