WW1 Dennis truck find

Great War truck

Yes, thats right. When we started the project we had no dif and no leads to one or in fact little hope of finding one. But then one fell into our lap so to speak. The L to B really sped things up. A deadline really focusses the mind. If you go through the whole thread you will find different references to our anticipated finish date. I think we were supposed to finish three years ago. This is the longest running restoration we have done and the hardest - until the next one of course

I spoke to Steve a short while ago and he was still working outside under flood lights. I will go down and join him tomorrow.

"No sleep till Brighton" (with apologies)

Tim

May you have a safe journey and a successful Run.

This is probably the most outstanding piece of restoration I've ever seen[1].

(What does the Dennis company think of it? (I believe one of you works there?))

Chris.

[1] From rust and wreckage to something that looks like it's just rolled out of the factory gate.

Thanks Chris!

Yes, there are now two Dennis companies and I have worked for both. Currently, I build dust-carts at Dennis-Eagle in Warwick. There is some interest from my colleagues and I was intrigued to find that our MD has been on the forum having a look. I am under orders from our sales office manager to come up with some photos and a story for the company newsletter next month. Once that happens, everybody will know!

Steve :)

Down to the wire! Tony and Steve eventually called it a day at 10.40p.m. Thank goodness for fine weather and no rain! The first job today was to finish off the toolbox and hang it on the lorry.

Then it was the 2 Gallon Tank Rack to be finished and hung. All the components were made and painted earlier and it was just the case then of bolting it to the lorry.

DSCN4454.jpg

DSCN4459.jpg

The final job completed was the installing and fixing of the Driver's side panel - again all previously made and painted but fixing brackets had to be made today. Quite dark when they shut the shed for the night.

DSCN4455.jpg

DSCN4457.jpg

DSCN4458.jpg

DSCN4462.jpg

DSCN4464.jpg

DSCN4465.jpg

The Low-loader arrives this morning and will set off for the first part of the journey to Crystal Palace. It will stop off over night but timing it so that it arrives by 6 a.m. on Sunday morning. It will be a long day for everybody, but it is the one that we have been looking forward to. The Dennis is still quite unproven so we just hope that it behaves!

The Dennis has been loaded up. We are on our way:

Picture001.jpg

Picture002.jpg

Picture003.jpg

We look forwards to seeing as many of you as we can. If you see us give us a wave. We look forwards to an ice cold Carlsberg in Brighton. "Line them up Joe"

Tim

Edited by Minesweeper
I dont know my beer.

Just seen the start of the run and was very pleased to see you and your magnificent restoration heading off into the sunshine ! Good luck and hope all goes to plan ! :D It was wonderfull to see so many first class vehicles in attendance full credit to all of the owners ! :D

DSC00040.jpg

DSC00039.jpg

DSC00038.jpg

Seems you have done an abolutely Cracking good job of it ! What with all the working and fabricating right down to the last minute ! I am looking foreward to the past ride report and all the details, since the last photo shows it going along under its own power and no signs of any thing leaking from the rad. that all is good in the world.

How do you post vidieo clips here?

Hi Tony , Upload them to youtube and you cut and paste all of the youtube link for your video after the = sign between two youtube emblems that are just below the fonts options ! It sounds bad but once you've done it once you'll be fine ! I went to the Palace this morning and managed only to video the Dennis unload as I got distracted by a lovely R100 Scammell Pioneer gun tractor ! Sorry chaps its an addiction you know ! :D

.... I went to the Palace this morning and managed only to video the Dennis unload as I got distracted by a lovely R100 Scammell Pioneer gun tractor ! Sorry chaps its an addiction you know ! :D

More like a way of life for you, Andy :whistle:

That first picture of yours is great!

Had a late night text from Tim last not saying all was ready to go - was a bit concerned as it had the sentence in there 'I love you'. Not too sure if a) he was talking to me b) someone had caught his eye c) was talking to his lorry :coffee:

But got a call from Tim at lunch time saying that they and the lorry had got there and it had run perfectly. He went on to say that he now needed a pee and a pint - I asked in what order what the be and he said 'both at the same time'. Knowing the Gosling family - he would of done that to perfect too :wow:

Congratulations to all of you involved. You should be very proud of your achievements and for safe guarding history.

- not sure what took you so long thou....

NOW whats the next project?!

Huge congratulations to all concerned - I found this thread fairly late on and reading up on the early work and seeing the proper use of real engineering skills both modern & traditional has been inspirational, especially when allied to the great commitment to originality. Wonderful stuff, and very well done in hitting your self imposed deadline in style!

A bit late now after all the other posts: but what a perfect day day for the London to Brighton.

Video clip at:

South of Redhill at about 09:00hrs.....and sounding great.

Congratulations again,

John

A bit late now after all the other posts: but what a perfect day day for the London to Brighton.

Video clip at:

South of Redhill at about 09:00hrs.....and sounding great.

Congratulations again,

John

Never to late