WW1 Dennis truck find

Great War truck

Reference the additional magneto: Included in the announcement of the Provisional Subsidy Schemme of September 1911 this included a 'Special Inducement' in the form of an additional £10 to the initial subsidy given to owners for them to carry a second magneto ready for use As usual , according to subsequent correspondence all was not what it seemed and if the £10 was spent on the additional magneto it was considered to be the property of the War Department.

Richard Peskett.

Steve returned to Devon this weekend to work on the wing and mudguard brackets. Prior to his arrival, Tony had cut up all the required steel for them, drilled any necessary holes in these components and profiled them as far as possible at that stage of the preparation.

The first job was to place a bend in the main frame part of the bracket - our usual procedure was followed here where the part was made red-hot and bent around to very roughly the required shape. At this stage, it was really just bent into two straights - the final precise and necessary curve in the bracket would be bent in later in the process. The smaller "branches" of the bracket were then prepared to be welded on to it.

DSCN3840.jpg

DSCN3841.jpg

DSCN3845.jpg

DSCN3846.jpg

DSCN3848.jpg

The rear mudguards are fastened to the bodywork by two brackets on each - front and rear of the mudguard. Each bracket is made up of four components which are welded together. The brackets were temporarily attached to the lorry body prior to the final bending and fitting to the mudguards.

The final curve in the bracket was pressed in, just a little at a time, using the hydraulic press - and then offered up to the mudguard until the curve of the bracket matched the curve of the mudguard. It is very easy to bend this way and should it be over-bent, then it can easily be corrected by reversing the bracket under the press, and pressing it back.

DSCN3851.jpg

DSCN3853.jpg

DSCN3854.jpg

DSCN3855.jpg

Hi,

I've not long been a member of this forum, and have spent most of the last month wading through this thread from the start - very inspiring!

Today, whilst ferreting around in one of my lockups looking for something else I found a small bag (100 or so) of what looked to be 3/8" by 1-1/2" coach bolts, either UNC or Whitworth, hard to tell in the poor light. Most importantly though, they all had square-headed nuts fitted to them.

If they're any use to you I'll gladly let you have them. Not sure how best to get them to you as I'm in Kent and they're heavy enough to be pricy to post, but if you're not in a hurry and are ever heading past Canterbury on the way to the channel ports drop me a line and I'll rendezvous with you en-route.

All the best, Glen.

Thanks Glen

Thats very decent of you. I will have a chat with Tony and get back to you. Thanks.

This series of four pictures shows the final fitting of the mudguard and positioning so that the holes from the brackets can be drilled through. Held together for the moment with temporary nuts and bolts.

DSCN3856.jpg

DSCN3857.jpg

DSCN3858.jpg

DSCN3860.jpg

Here is a short sequence of pictures showing the use of the Press to obtain the required curve in the bracket. They are quite self-explanatory but I would just mention that it is not really possible to get the complete curve in the bracket in one go and that the bracket was moved along under the press so that just a little bit of the length of the bracket was done on each press.

DSCN3861.jpg

DSCN3864.jpg

DSCN3868.jpg

DSCN3870.jpg

DSCN3872.jpg

Here is the final sequence of pictures showing the "eyeing up" and fitting of the other rear mudguard.

Now that we know that these brackets fit, they will be finally profiled and cleaned up before painting - parts of bracket are of a partially rounded section and not just rectangular so there is still considerable work to do on them to complete them and make them look pretty!

The wings and mudguards can now be finish-painted though we did not finish the front mud guard brackets today. Still plenty to do.

DSCN3873.jpg

DSCN3874.jpg

DSCN3876.jpg

DSCN3877.jpg

Edited by Great War truck

Hi,

Today, whilst ferreting around in one of my lockups looking for something else I found a small bag (100 or so) of what looked to be 3/8" by 1-1/2" coach bolts, either UNC or Whitworth, hard to tell in the poor light. Most importantly though, they all had square-headed nuts fitted to them.

If they're any use to you I'll gladly let you have them. All the best, Glen.

Thanks Glen. PM sent.

Tim

Our old lorry friend and great enthusiast, John, dropped in today to signwrite the lorry for us - he did the FWD for us some time ago and was very pleased to do the Dennis. He used the Artwork provided by Andy and the original stencils loaned by Barry - all with great success! The photographs are all sef explanatory - the slight white smudging around the paintwork is from French Chalk - which will all wipe off when the paint is dry.

DSCN3916.jpg

DSCN3920.jpg

DSCN3926.jpg

DSCN3931.jpg

DSCN3937.jpg

DSCN3938.jpg

DSCN3940.jpg

DSCN3941.jpg

DSCN3948.jpg

DSCN3949.jpg

Well guess what I found this week in rural Dorset:

The shape is instantly recognisable, but the question is - is it a pew or a WW1 truck seat?

Width 84", back height 44", front to back 24". There are three lids on the seat top.

Doubtless it turns out to be not what I'd really like it to be :D

DSC02444.JPG

DSC02436.jpg

DSC02437.jpg

DSC02439.JPG

This is absolutely stunning.

:wow:

Thanks Chris. We have been very fortunate in finding such superb craftsmen to help us. I did try signwriting some numberplates once but they looked as if they had been done by a four-year-old. I like to try my hand at most things but sometimes getting an expert really pays.

Steve :-)

Crikey. That looks a very familiar shape. Did it look like it sat on the floor, or were there any brackets or screw holes to bolt it down on to something? Steve, what should the measurements be?

It had a flat base, but some makeshift legs had been screwed on. A very substantially constructed piece of joinery. The shaped top rail looks maybe too elegant for an old wagon? My eye was caught by two old threshing drums in the sheds as we made our way through the yard, lots of very ancient farm equipment too - but whether there was an old WW1 truck chassis amongst the many brambles is anyone's guess!

Yes, I suppose it probably is a pew, maybe next time!!

DSC02438.JPG

Edited by N.O.S.
pic added

I would say that it is/was a Settle! A lot of old farm houses had these in their kitchens - the high back to help protect from a draught - and certainly with storage space under them. As this one is on a farm, my bet would be that it was chucked out of the kitchen when the kitchen was modernised! And it does look now with the seat "up" that it was varnished or polished!

Tony

Just googled settle and found an identical style with the three hinged seat bases, so you have nailed it Tony!!

Apologies for having dragged you so far off topic, but it goes to show how informative and all-encompassing this thread is :-D

Steve has done a few things this week. Firstly, he has made up some replacement ball joints for the throttle linkage. As they are not too critical they were only filed spherical to within a couple of thou which is good enough. Steve was fortunate to find some whitworth sized hex bar for them in his stock.

DSCN2320.jpg

DSCN2322.jpg

DSCN2323.jpg

He has also finshed off the rear wing brackets by filing them to the correct section. They do seem a bit odd as they are rectangular section at the top and almost half round at the bottom. However, when you look at the photographs, that is how they were.

DSCN2331.jpg

Finally, he has also made up the pick and shovel brackets which he will paint this week. These brackets are most peculiar because, whilst we have copied the drawings exactly, it is very difficult to see how they were intended to work! When looking through the photographs, we get the impression that the soldiers couldn't work them out either as they are always either empty or have the tools just tied on. Very odd.

DSCN2326.jpg

DSCN2328.jpg

DSCN2329.jpg

Our good friend Mark, retired submariner, museum conservator and amazing craftsman, has today delivered the leather straps which hold the hood in position and what a beautiful job he has made of them. They truly are a joy to behold. The top ends are wrapped around staples which are screwed to the underside of the cab bow. At the bottom end, they wrap around the radiator protector and are secured with buckles. Now this is the really clever bit. Because of the way they wrap around with the buckle on the top, a single continuous strip of leather would have the underside showing outwards at the bottom end. Mark has very cleverly cut the strap and scarfed a joint at the buckle so the outside of the hide shows all round the lower end and around the rad protector. It really is a super job and we can't thank him enough.

DSCN3995.jpg

DSCN3996.jpg

DSCN3997.jpg

DSCN3999.jpg

Mark is one of those people who can make anything and whatever takes his fancy results in a work of art, whether it is leatherwork, toolmaking, steam engines or old motorcycles (1943 Matchless G3 amongst others). If you can spare a few minutes, his website is well worth a look: http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/remark/index.html

We have a number of friends coming around today. The aim is to get the seat box lifted on and into position. It is going to be a very tricky job. I will let you know how we get on later.

The time had at last arrived to fix the Seat Box assembly onto the body - it was a job that gave us a great deal of thought as the assembly was heavy, awkward and was going to be a very close fit! Some very good ideas on how to do had come from the forum and were a tremendous help to us in deciding the final method! It was obvious that we were going to need some more muscle and a request to various friends resulted in seven of them turning out at 10 a.m. on a Sunday morning!

With so little head room within our shed, the Dennis had to come outside - and this was the first time that it - or at least the front half had seen the light of day!

DSCN4009.jpg

DSCN4011.jpg

DSCN4012.jpg

DSCN4013.jpg

We decided that the easiest way of doing it was to come in from the side - just behind where the seat would go - it was lifted out by four chaps - turned over on to its back with the bottom facing forward so that it could be lowered over the head board into position. Two chaps stayed in the back of the lorry to receive it, then hold and support it from there where it was to be dropped down over the petrol tank. Some old blankets placed across the top of the body to protect the paint work.

DSCN4014.jpg

DSCN4016.jpg

DSCN4017.jpg

DSCN4018.jpg

DSCN4019.jpg

DSCN4020.jpg

I will post some more photos in a moment.

This sequence of pictures are all quite self explanatory - the seat was lowered under full control - clearances were very tight and we estimate that there is only a 1/16" clearance each side of the petrol tank brackets!

DSCN4021.jpg

DSCN4022.jpg

DSCN4023.jpg

Some final adjustments to get it exactly in the correct place!

DSCN4024.jpg

DSCN4025.jpg

Looking OK!

DSCN4026.jpg

DSCN4031.jpg

Putting itaway - and trying it for size!

DSCN4037.jpg

DSCN4041.jpg

DSCN4043.jpg

A tricky job well done with the aid of all our friends. Many thanks. There is still a lot to do yet to get it running, so we are going to be very busy as the deadline is approaching.