Reporting Live from W&P 2012

Marmite!!

• Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi All

Today me, my brother and father went to War and peace on the hunt for Diamond t parts and weasel parts. We where all fearing the worst with the mud, but around all the stalls, mostly dry( alot of people where wearing white trainers and staying clean). We met alot of nice dealers and come away with some good parts. Dont let others put you off because the show is top knotch like usual.:-)

Had a wander today - I reckon probably the same number of traders as somebody else mentionned, though a bit more spread out. All seemed in good spirits when we nattered.

I don't think there's as many vehicle related traders though - as with other shows this year there seems to be a move towards the reenactor/relic market. That said there are some gems in amongst it all that you wouldn't find anywhere else :)

Hi All

I went down on Tuesday and came back today ( these are the only days I could make it). Although I have been a visitor several times before this is the first time I have taken my Land Rover and camped. Yes it was muddy and I got to our spot in the Americas field with no problem. There were places that would be very difficult to get to in some of the other fields. Traffic movements are restricted, and this is a very good idea, the ruts and mud in roadway outside our pitch the a good 6-8” deeper in a couple of days , and in a dip it was about a foot. If there was no restriction on movements, the vast majority would soon become impassable to all bar ‘heavy’ vehicles. Parts of the traders area are unused due to flooding, but still plenty of traders and many bargains (well I thought so). It was a amazing what a day of sunshine does, all the soil firming up, if it stays sunny , we have people complaining about dust ! As pointed out in an earlier post, a bit more sign posting would be useful. So quick summary

Was it muddy – Yes (no drying out)

Was it worth going – definitely

Will I be camping again – Sure will (by the way it is a good idea to hire a portaloo, saves your legs!)

Sign Posting - could do better

Staff helpful and doing what they could – certainly were

Will the organisers learn some lessons – hope so

Richard

PS the searchlight at night is awesome (I want one), would be fun to put a bat symbol onto the clouds

If I had to sum it up in a couple of pictures -

DSC03747.JPG

Must have taken ages to get this diorama looking just right!

DSC03749.JPG

This is a normally sensible person who has been 'Beltringed'. Just goes to show you're never too old to be a big kid.

The .50cal has a fascinating story behind it (I so believed the owner - you always can at Beltring :whistle:)

If you are tracked at W&P you have no problem getting around... :cool2:

[video=youtube_share;i5-k93xxvmU]

I'll add photos to this post a little later.

That's me and my kids hidden away in the back there.

I had a cracking time all told, stayed with the ever welcoming TT Mike, Grasshopper, Chris G and various other lovely people. Thanks to all them.

It's been summed up before but, yes muddy but certainly manageable.

I think if had continued to rain as it had the previous week it might have made camping more 'challenging' but as it was it just got better & better.

Roll on next year :-D

I don't think there's as many vehicle related traders though - as with other shows this year there seems to be a move towards the reenactor/relic market.

That was very noticeable last year too, methinks.

Andy

Just got back, great day at war and peace didnt seem as many vehicles as last year cant wait till 2013, bring it on, :cool2: ;)

We came back yesterday after two days, it was nowhere near as bad as people made out!! The marshalls were helpful and the atmosphere was good and positive. We are so pleased we made the effort and gave our support it was worth it.

Just got back from day spent up there. The ground in a few areas required "paying attention to" but appart from that, where ever we went, it was o.k.

Still a superb show, great talking to vehicle owners, always picking up advice on vehicle maintenance, traders friendly (and prepared to do deals!!!).

Her who must be obeyed(sometimes) says i can go back tomorrow.Don`t need to told twice.:tup::

We spent yesterday there looking around the main show and had a great time. The place had a really good atmosphere. Compliments to the organisers for keeping it going.

The mud was really bad in some places but the show seemed to have evolved around them.

....The mud was really bad in some places but the show seemed to have evolved around them.

I think the mud evolved around a character by the name of Mr. Angry - it was a pleasure to have met you, sir :D

Next year if it is wet again I believe there are plans for a 24hr Winchathon :whistle:

Well. Just got back. And it turned out alright in the end. With todays weather being like Beltring of old. Highlights for me were friends and family coming down and creating a great atmosphere. Meeting Forum members Griff 66,Celstar,Grasshopper,TooTall,Chris G. Nick Johns, and Eddie Dohun. Even met a fella i last saw at the show 23 years ago.

Downside,s were digging myself out of the mud at 11.30 at night. Well it was fun till the following day when returning back to the site a half shaft broke. Typical LR trait. Managed to buy two from Dunsfold and have it repaired on site. And like anything with Beltring. You wait all year for it come around and then it goes so quick that you wished it would come around again a bit sooner. Well next show for me is Combined Ops. And then a complete change of track.Out to Spa Francochamps for the Spa 6 heures classic. While i am out there i will take in some sites around the Ardennes.

We heard all the doom and gloom,,, but we still went on saturday!! as MOPs:-) and we aare glad we did..... fantastic day..... arena events were good, excellent displays.

Didn't see too many puddles in the dugouts....!.... one or two areas were bad around the site but no were near as bad as we expected... we didn't even need our wellies... The ground really dried out with just a couple of days sun.

We are hoping to take our vehicles next year.so at least we know what to expect.....

Only one thing really took the shine off the day. THE TOILETS!!! :shocking: I see most at the site made their own arrangements....but those provided for the public were disgusting..... I'm surprised the organisers get away with it!!! providing in some parts of the field basically an open bucket in a small box... I really don't want to SEE and SMELL what previous depositors left... I was sorely tempted to use the nearby hedge!!

If other events like Evesham war in the vale event can provide basic, but reasonable toilets ( of the flip flop type) and clean them out regularly, why cann't they.... especially having having paid £20 on the door. (sorry.... end of rant)

Doug

We heard all the doom and gloom,,, but we still went on saturday!! as MOPs:-) and we aare glad we did..... fantastic day..... arena events were good, excellent displays.

Didn't see too many puddles in the dugouts....!.... one or two areas were bad around the site but no were near as bad as we expected... we didn't even need our wellies... The ground really dried out with just a couple of days sun.

We are hoping to take our vehicles next year.so at least we know what to expect.....

Only one thing really took the shine off the day. THE TOILETS!!! :shocking: I see most at the site made their own arrangements....but those provided for the public were disgusting..... I'm surprised the organisers get away with it!!! providing in some parts of the field basically an open bucket in a small box... I really don't want to SEE and SMELL what previous depositors left... I was sorely tempted to use the nearby hedge!!

If other events like Evesham war in the vale event can provide basic, but reasonable toilets ( of the flip flop type) and clean them out regularly, why cann't they.... especially having having paid £20 on the door. (sorry.... end of rant)

Doug

Been saying the same thing for years.

How do you think mv owners feel when they have to pay to get into the show and then have to use those crappy toilets.

They are an utter disgrace.

The next day I got back from w+p, I went and bought a toilet tent and a portable toilet.

Been saying the same thing for years.

How do you think mv owners feel when they have to pay to get into the show and then have to use those crappy toilets.

They are an utter disgrace.

The next day I got back from w+p, I went and bought a toilet tent and a portable toilet.

So why do they get away with it? :confused:

I have just looked at the W&P website and no photos from the 2012 show there yet. They always were done very quickly. Anyone know what is happening?

Have you seen the pictures from Forum memebers? Funny enough the event listed next on the Hop Farm site says'Bring your wellies'.