Reporting Live from W&P 2012

Marmite!!

I was up there Saturday to Tuesday and have now had to go back to work, but will be back Sunday. As previously said, it's not that bad, a bit of water and mud probably won't kill you.

Having said that, if people stopped driving around aimlessly there would be a lot less mud about.

I'm sure it makes you look very cool but it's not helping!

Also, just because you own a 4x4 it doesn't mean that you will automatically have the ability to drive off-road and if you've never touched the 4/6 wheel drive lever before there's a chance that you won't be able to engage it - best to check before, not when, you get stuck!

Enjoy, I did (but do it on foot if possible):-D

• Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can never please everyone, no matter what you do.

I would go, but this year due to work commitements I cant make it, (I'm peed off) I would still go, mud or no mud.

You never hear them say "stop the war, it's too muddy" :wow:

But for the ones there, some are having fun, like dave and Linda, pulling stuck people out with thier stolly!

One thing I wish they would do, is make a circuit, I.e. one way from Americas field, then if you want to drive back you have to go through the other field, and back round (obviously they need another bridge) would save some queues.

(just my 2 penneth worth)

Cheers

shaun

me and the other half are planing to turn up saterday first thing ,both of us for the first time so just thinking as we are staying at chatham how long shuold we allow for travel , im thinking are the public ques as bad as getting to gdsf and secondly are we better of useing the advertised shuttle from paddock wood or driving staight to the publis parking thanks andy

I'd be interested to know how busy the traders field is. There was an aerial picture on the War and Peace site which I do not think was from this year as their was a distinct lack of water or mud to be seen.

One of the draws is to see the trade stalls and I'd heard it was pretty wet down there so a lot had not been turning up. If they are coming I would imagine they would be there by now. What state is th traders field ?

im happy with the weather as it is at the moment ! walking the w&p show in the past has been way to hot and gets dusty so cant have it both ways see you all there soon , :-)

One word: thixotropic.

Where it's not been stirred up (much) and has dried out, (most of the fleamarket), it's like walking on hard sponge rubber.

If it's been churned up thoroughly (Americas Field entrance) it's extremely slippery and sticky mud with 3 to 4 inch ruts.

Usual lunatics (who shall remain nameless) have their usual lunatic prices on stuff.

Chris.

(Going back on Friday as people I wanted to meet hadn't arrived yet.)

Had a great day there yesterday as a MOP, conditions are as reported with many of the main routes around the vehicle fields almost impassable to vehicles and have been shut off, you definatly need wellies if visiting. Stall areas are good with just a few boggy areas. Public car is dry. Numbers are down though, there are noticeable gaps in both the display fields and the stalls (I think this is made worse by the no-go areas). Despite all that though the show is as good as ever.

They did open late yesterday, (about 9.35), apparently due to elf and safety and I did feel sorry for the poor security guy who had to stand by the gate fielding questions from 400 pi**ed off punters eager to get in !

Just getting ready for todays visit and the weather is currently dry and the sun is up!

Yesterday was my first visit to W & P. From various friends I had a rough idea of what to expect. Firstly, I drove 200 miles to get there, not best pleased to find opening delayed for `saftey issues`, even a few in the crowd at the gate muttering `cancelled`. Gate was soon opened and in we went. Im glad I purchased a programme otherwise I would have had no idea what was where. I got to the far end of Amercias field around 1200 where I was greeted as the first member of the public who had `got through`. I wore wellies, you would not of got through without them. I saw just about all I wanted to see and then drove home 200 miles in some very heavy rain.

Points to ponder......and I speak from visiting various events in UK and Europe....and having been involved in the running of a few.....Not everyone is a regular.....every year there are first timers.....lets have some more sign posts pointing to the various areas. Conditions......tricky to say the least. Without further research I have no idea what the site is used for during the rest of the year but some hard roads to and through the various fields are a must. Trade field....I would guess there will be some unhappy traders......stock ruined....potential customers unable to reach them, etc

From the programme I noted it was the 30th anniversay.....and imagine that the Hop Farm is the `home` of W & P, so some form of long term plan needs to be looked at regarding making it abit more weather proof for the future. Next year will be dry and sunny, but it might be even wetter!!!!

Yes, I will be going next year, but will have plan B developed

We drove through the fields yesterday, loads of ruts but fun. It's the only way for

me to go out and see the displays there. The driver was testing out her 109 that's adapted

and drove slowly but good. Our dogs enjoy it too as it ain't that bad on public camping

and I hope to be brave enough to appear in the arena with the misses and her 109 ex raf

Sunny & Breezy here at the moment..

They did open late yesterday, (about 9.35), apparently due to elf and safety and I did feel sorry for the poor security guy who had to stand by the gate fielding questions from 400 pi**ed off punters eager to get in !

Announcement on W&P Radio a few minutes ago that the front gates won't be open for another 40 minutes due to them having to clear mud, I presume they mean the gates for the public?

Those that think numbers of vehicles are well down due to the gaps should look in Meadway field, a lot of the vehicles were sent straight into that field. There are people still turning up.. some people only come Friday-Sunday.

Think they need signs for the public pointing them to the different fields, don't suppose many public would even know Meadway Field was there..

Trade stands had plenty of public there yesterday.. not sure how many traders haven't turned up as the back rows that were empty last year are now full with the traders that were relocated due to their pitch being too wet.

Those of us in Outter Monktons never took our vehicles in the arena yesterday due to the roads being blocked off.

Plenty of School kids here yesterday, good to see the conditions improved enough for the School Day to go ahead.

This is my view of the show, others may see it completely differently..

Edited by Marmite!!

Marshalls are stopping the vehicles that are driving about & telling them to return to their camps, absolutley NO vehicle movement today unless going to the arena.. that won't apply to us as Monktons is shut off & we can't get there..

They just stopped one guy who said he was going off site, he was told his choice but it would take ages to get back in & anything coming back in would have to go to Meadway field only..

For us broke people who live way down the bottom of the planet... would just like to say a huge thanks for everyone who is contributing to this thread. All your pics and commentary is as close as we can get to the real thing so it's great to see. One day we will get there but until then.... keep up the good work..

Have a great weekend (despite the mud).

Marshalls are stopping the vehicles that are driving about & telling them to return to their camps, absolutley NO vehicle movement today unless going to the arena.. that won't apply to us as Monktons is shut off & we can't get there..

They just stopped one guy who said he was going off site, he was told his choice but it would take ages to get back in & anything coming back in would have to go to Meadway field only..

Thats what worried me lee, as many of you know, I don't do any cooking when i'm at any show.

I go off site to paddock wood for breakfast, to the local cafe, good food, good prices and a nice comfy cafe to sit in.

I also, normally go off site for dinner, chinese/indian/kebab shop/fish and chip shop.

This year it was turning into a nightmare getting back on site, which was one of the reasons I came home.

At least the weather forecast is for dry weather for the rest of the show.

Hi

I went on Wednesday only my second year but I thought it was great. OK bit of a hold up with not opening up until near 10.00am but once I got in there was plenty to see. The worst mud in the trader areas had 'bridges' and I could walk anywhere I wanted. Also bought some stuff I wanted and still didn't spend up - result. The 'Battle' was fun - didn't understand why the Germans had a USA jeep and crew on their side but it was an excellent show, lots of bangs and a 'grudge match' when one poor chap was attacked by a 'nasty hun' who even tried to pinch his boots - great stuff. Congratulations to all who, under difficult circumstances, put on a great event. Well done.

We have arrived late last night - with a smile

The signing staff were in good spirit - I dropped off a

box of sweets to keep them cheerful.

We put up our tent as the light was closing - so woke up this

mornIng to discover a section of the real Berlin wall and full

height sentry post behind us ...

The field is dry but the area around the stand pipes for water

is very muddy.

Yes some of the roads are really for 4x4 but if movement is

kept down it will get better.

It's been sunny all evening and this morning.

Off to the trade stands.

101FC