Reporting Live from W&P 2012

Marmite!!

• Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only one thing really took the shine off the day. THE TOILETS!!! :shocking: I see most at the site made their own arrangements....but those provided for the public were disgusting..... I'm surprised the organisers get away with it!!! providing in some parts of the field basically an open bucket in a small box... I really don't want to SEE and SMELL what previous depositors left... I was sorely tempted to use the nearby hedge!!

If other events like Evesham war in the vale event can provide basic, but reasonable toilets ( of the flip flop type) and clean them out regularly, why cann't they.... especially having having paid £20 on the door. (sorry.... end of rant)

I have to say we stayed in the Medway field, and the cleaners did a sterling job considering the amount of people, alcohol, burgers and hotdogs (never a great combination for the "constitution") and previous muddy conditions.

They were cleaning them several times per day, and added extra blocks of toilets at the weekend.

I do however agree that some could have been better, but they WERE better than previous years.

Just got back, great day at war and peace didnt seem as many vehicles as last year ;)

I beg to differ, the usually underused vast Medway field was where the majority of MV's were, and the driest field, pity probably a lot of spectators were probably unaware of it as its quite hidden behind the trees, and a long walk,.. definately, more in total there this year

Edited by Nick Johns

I beg to differ, the usually underused vast Medway field was where the majority of MV's were, and the driest field, pity probably a lot of spectators were probably unaware of it as its quite hidden behind the trees, and a long walk,.. definately, more in total there this year

There were some real gems in there. We completely missed that the field existed last time, and this year we just happenned to spot the sign when we stopped to admire some unusual trucks at the pathway through by the river.

Yes, I camped out with the 101 club, and last year it was almost empty...this year it was rammed full...even included the Berlin Wall....like you say many folk would not have known it was there.

IMG_1022 (Medium).JPG

Not quite "LIVE" but some photos of Mark and "SHREK" taken in arena from turret of T34.

IMG_1023 (Medium).JPG

No, she is not running away in panic, but wants to get some more photos for the family album as Mark goes up to collect one of his awards:

IMG_1101 (Medium).JPG

Well done Mark!

IMG_1024 (Medium).JPG

The website was well under way until towards the weekend. I was not present and cannot comment, but there was an exchange of views between the man whose job it was to upload the pictures and another member of the show team. He then left the site with all his equipment. This left the Photography team in the soup. We had been working like trojans to cover a lot more things this year and sadly it came to nought in terms of the images being immediately available to view by the public. We have been asked to provide our images for the site to be rebuilt after the event, but no details on a time frame or numbers has been discussed. I will happily upload as much of my stuff on here as soon as I can sort it out.

Best wishes,

Mark

I have just looked at the W&P website and no photos from the 2012 show there yet. They always were done very quickly. Anyone know what is happening?

providing toilets and wash facilities to a place as big as w&p is a large task with as many people as there is that attend ! they dont do a bad job really and the toilets on hop farm itself are really clean if you are prepared to walk and use them i dont mind where i go. think of the guys that drive the tankers and suck out your - - - - and take it away i know i used to do it and go down the drains scraping the fat off the walls in pumping stations ect not nice but someone has to do it ! and do you know i actually enjoyed my job :)

Sorry not to have seen you this time round, Martin.

Entirely mutual Mark.:D

Unfortunately my employers have banned all leave over the Olympic period so I got there the Saturday before it opened and had to go home again on Tuesday. Two Earlies and three Night shifts later I was back Sunday for the night and brought the truck home today!:cry:

The Chev was there all week though!

The winner of the Dale Prior Memorial Prize for Best Humber 1-Ton based on originality AND servicing. I have watched this vehicle in its up & downs & various guises for about 25 years. It is so nice to see it in this lovely state. The whole of the rear body was reconstructed with great skill & precision. Well done Roger!

DSC02753.jpg

DSC02751.jpg

Had a good time at Beltring this year. The toilets in Medway were actually ok, though the showers got a bit cold. The damp conditions made walking about difficult earlier in the week, though Medway really dried up on the Tuesday. We were a tad loud on Thursday night so if anyone was woken up, i apologise. Apart from that it was another great week. Roll on next year!.

Ps Watching the Stalwart go into the river was brilliant.

home, with a small breakdown.

it was a good show, did not make it to the beertent but had fun anyway.

engine failure of the 101fc and the old 109 2a landie who had to work without preparation did fine.

a few mishaps on the camp ground like a grease fire in out tent kitchen and two dogs who got a lot of attention

on the trade stands, fun.

the arena i thought was scary, first with the missus in her 109 ex raf, sunday i dared to drive in the 109 2a.

on the way back we visited a friend who supports free radio.

anyone made pictures of the land-rover parade both day's it was helt in the arena?

cheers,

Arjan

(i had my forum name on my coat, nobody saw it or meet up with me)

I hate to say it but I much preferred the weather we had last week rather than what we have this week. Apart from keeping the dust down, it kept the pollen levels down. Hay fever is very tiresome, I noticed the levels starting to rise on Sunday & a large part of the journey back was slow & unpleasant. Pulling into a rural layby was no solution, my best hope was to keep going until I hit an area with what I assume had lower levels or at least a different type of pollen.

Sorry but I'm glad it wasn't a scorcher last week. In previous years I have had to resort to wearing a respirator although that certainly helps, it does open oneself to even more ridicule than usual :D

I found myself suffering regardless at times.... I do agree with you, though. As a snapper, I needed more light - not necessarily more baking sunshine and the dust - my lens was broken anyway - (again) - but the grey sky on brown mud = dull snaps thing is really tedious. I blame Seb Coe.

I hate to say it but I much preferred the weather we had last week rather than what we have this week. Apart from keeping the dust down, it kept the pollen levels down. Hay fever is very tiresome, I noticed the levels starting to rise on Sunday & a large part of the journey back was slow & unpleasant. Pulling into a rural layby was no solution, my best hope was to keep going until I hit an area with what I assume had lower levels or at least a different type of pollen.

Sorry but I'm glad it wasn't a scorcher last week. In previous years I have had to resort to wearing a respirator although that certainly helps, it does open oneself to even more ridicule than usual :D

Clive,

On Saturday night, was that gear you were wearing, a way of combating pollen?? :undecided:

Richard yes I think it was pretty effective, so no hay fever on Saturday night. Might have had difficulties driving home with it on Sunday though:D

Many, Many thanks to all you MV owners, Stallholders, Rex & his `team` & the German Bratwurst bloke (yum) who despite difficult conditions hung in there & laid on a Fabulous show.

Having attended for the last 13 years a little bit of mud wasn`t going to put me off. For those who have never been, once in your lifetime you need to go because you won`t believe what is there. Everyone is so friendly & there is a real `buzz` about the place. Heres` a few photo`s of the show:

P1020867 (1024x768).jpg

P1020804 (1024x768).jpg

P1020806 (1024x768).jpg

P1020819 (1024x768).jpg

P1020828 (1024x768).jpg

P1020842 (1024x768).jpg

P1020859 (1024x768).jpg

P1020881 (1024x768).jpg

P1020887 (1024x768).jpg

P1020891 (1024x768).jpg

P1020896 (1024x768).jpg

P1020899 (1024x768).jpg