Reporting Live from W&P 2012

Marmite!!

have been back again droping of move vehicles, drying out in places if people use the brains and dont take cars and vans in in the muddy bits then get stuck and churn it up evern more ,theres a lot of people who will help tranport your kit with 4x4 its war and peace its all about mud dust and sun most of us go to meet and take the mickey out of each other relax and enjoy and yes we put the world to right there our lots of other hobbys you can take up ,,if you dont like dont go for the rest we will have a great time come what may the photos of the morris and 17pdr i drove thursday to where it parked in two wheel drive as four wheel drive not working we put a landrover on the front as not to churn the ground up and as the photos show its not churn up just needs thought

• Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its war and peace its all about mud dust and sun[/color]]

it does seem that way...when it rains it gets boggy real quick, but it only needs a clear day and it all seems to dry out pretty quick.

There is no such thing as bad weather, just a bad choice of clothing....and like you say, there will never be a shortage of peeps wanting to tow others out :)

Hi All

Arrived on the 8th as we crossed Munktons the 6x6 explorer got stuck towed out by my Foden drops a friend came Tuesday Bedford mk got stuck ,, the place is a mudbath with the oddm pond some very good pics in the sun to help keep spirit up but in the real world mud and rain with the odd sun patch. taking everything into account i would stay away till it does dry up even if it is Wednesday nextweek The more vehicle movements the worse it gets, Weather aas noon today Sat showers,, seen 50min of sub so far, But we are hear and its the 30th aniv,, so hope to see you all when its a little dryer maybe tuesday??? i hope,, or bribg a tow rope. winch with alot of cable.

Just heard on the news that the Kent county show at Detling, just up the road from W&P, is still on but the car park is closed due to flooding. They are turning cars away and only allowing in pedestrians.

I am arriving at W&P on Monday afternoon. I heard that Sunday is fine weather but showers during the week.

just got back from setting up tents bit wet there but not too bad if it looks really muddy and wet dont try and navigate it ,have a chat with a marshall and take some advice, sunday monday tuesday weather looking v good cant wait till tomorrow for the duration !!!:D

It's finally stopped raining & the sun is try hard to break through, forcast is good for today..

Anyone travelling on the M20 this morning be aware that it is closed in both directions between J3-4 due to serious accident according to Kent radio..

More photos when I've charged the batteries up..

News

[TABLE=class: contentpaneopen]

[TR]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

An update on our 30th Anniversary Show...

[h=6]Updated 14/7/12 10:00am It was a fantastic day yesterday, ground was drying really well and it was very firm underfoot by the end of the day. Sadly we had more rain overnight which has put us back a little, but it just shows that with a break in the weather The Hop Farm drains really well and firms up very quickly. The weather forecast is positive, so if you're arriving please be patient with the marshals if they ask you to wait or re-site you. Speaking to people yesterday it is all about the atmosphere and seeing friends old and new. Yes it's wet at the moment, but everyone is happy, positive and friendly - which is what The War and Peace Show is about![/h]

My take on the current situation.

It's been very nice today, and, yes it is very slowly drying out, but it is still a mudbath.

I had a wander around the stalls today and thier field is a quagmire, very very muddy.

Some parts are ok, but they are the parts with nobody/no vehciles on them.

The routes around the site are very very muddy, and you will need a 4 wheel drive to get about.

TBH, we are going to need at least 2-3 days of hot sunny weather to make the site acceptable, it will take alot longer to dry out completley. The river behind the site is very high and running very fast.

I must admit, I have never seen w+p this muddy.

I have yold the rest of my group not to bother comming.

However, the marshalls are working hard to keep things moving, but, they need about 20 tonnes of gravel/woodchips to make a difference.

Booking in can be a nightmare, you have to queue on the approach track and this has been leading to traffic tailbacks on the main road. When I arrived sat morning, there were only 2 people booking us in, which caused delays.

It's a hard one to call overall, if you don't mind slurping around in the mud, come to the show.

I like to troll the stalls and drive around the site looking at the vehciles and seeing what people are selling outside thier tents, this is almost immpossible at the moment.

However, i'm sure I will still have a good time!

I'm going to stay till tuesday, if it has not improved, then i'll be heading home.

IMO, the w+p facebook page is making the site sound better than it is.

Just my opinion, and i'm not saying that i'm right.

My take on the current situation.

It's been very nice today, and, yes it is very slowly drying out, but it is still a mudbath.

I had a wander around the stalls today and thier field is a quagmire, very very muddy.

Some parts are ok, but they are the parts with nobody/no vehciles on them.

The routes around the site are very very muddy, and you will need a 4 wheel drive to get about.

TBH, we are going to need at least 2-3 days of hot sunny weather to make the site acceptable, it will take alot longer to dry out completley. The river behind the site is very high and running very fast.

I must admit, I have never seen w+p this muddy.

I have yold the rest of my group not to bother comming.

However, the marshalls are working hard to keep things moving, but, they need about 20 tonnes of gravel/woodchips to make a difference.

Booking in can be a nightmare, you have to queue on the approach track and this has been leading to traffic tailbacks on the main road. When I arrived sat morning, there were only 2 people booking us in, which caused delays.

It's a hard one to call overall, if you don't mind slurping around in the mud, come to the show.

I like to troll the stalls and drive around the site looking at the vehciles and seeing what people are selling outside thier tents, this is almost immpossible at the moment.

However, i'm sure I will still have a good time!

I'm going to stay till tuesday, if it has not improved, then i'll be heading home.

IMO, the w+p facebook page is making the site sound better than it is.

Just my opinion, and i'm not saying that i'm right.

Thankyou,its nice to hear a straight discription of what its like.

Of course the sun may shine,it might stop raining for more than four hours and Hope Farm MAY dry out.

But at least with your report we can all make a more informed choice.

My personal worry is not our "MV'S" they would almost go anywhere,its more a case of our accomodation.

Gary

According to the Met Office, there will be rain Monday from about 7am to about 4pm, just as I am driving there....... Thursday also looks like another wet day. Other than that, just look out for showers. Not positive about next weekend yet.

We have to much invested not to go. We pack up from two locations and set off

During the night. I am walking in a green orange jacket with my forum name on it. Cheers arjan

WE all have a lot invested,none more so than the organisor of War & Peace,thats why its good to have these reports. Some positive and some less so....but it helps us all to make an informed decision.

As some one said earlier on this thread" it is after all just a .....show", its not a matter of life and death.

Enjoy we will,

Gary

I'm missing out this year due to a holiday elsewhere but by the sounds of it, it may be a good one to miss - ground conditions wise. Thanks for all the continued updates and pictures though as for those of us who can't make the show it certainly makes for interesting reading.

If anyone is down there can you do me a favour and go to Airsoft Worlds Stand opposite jeep books and look for well basically Jesus , 6'6" , beard , goes by the name of Derek (dex ) and ask him if hes got my sight block for a SLR yet for Jamie , he's a really good friend , usually my co driver in the pig , and it would be a hoot .

Jamie

Hi,

Great to see balanced views on the ground conditions.

I have a 2WD military vehicle (VW181) and small trailer for the tent etc. I normally camp on Medway field. Are there any passable routes to that area / have any alternative routes been opened up ?

Any views would be appreciated as I am hoping to come on Tuesday.

Cheers

Steve 82

going to the show proved hard aswell.

as i just got a text from my little brother that the 101fc ambulance blew an engine. bugger.

the have it at a dutch AA road post as they claimed it was unsafe to stay at the motorway.

either they get it running or tow home and reload in the 109s2a with a trailer.

all i thought was bad weather to crack the fun.

cheers,

Arjan

I watched the BBC weather report they do on Countryfile last night and it said Tuesday would be fine and Wednesday would be OK. Thursday would have showers. Then on Friday it would be mostly dry and there were signs that the Gulf Stream was starting to move north to where it should be and that if that is the case it would be dry in the south all weekend.

Rex and Seb Coe know all the right people....so don't worry.

MB

As no-one else has pasted in the latest from the W&P Website. Like Phil's comment below:

"An update on our 30th Anniversary Show...

Update 11pm 15/7/12: Just wanted to confirm and remove any trace of doubt: The War and Peace Show is NOT cancelled!! Please pass this on and help dispel the rumour. There are loads of people here and we're looking forward to a great Show. Bring your wellies and sunnies ;-)

15/7/12 Public camping .. In the main area there are still some dry pitches, but the overflow is into Medway which seems ok. Talk to the Officials when you arrive and they will help find somewhere for you. If you're coming for weekend camping, contact us on Friday for an update before you leave if you'd like.

15/7/12 Stalls... I went round to talk to some of them to give you an impartial view, and here's the comments (unedited in case you're thinking that!!): Susan at Airsoft World Ltd. said they were: "delighted to be here, the conditions are better than when they left and they are really hap...py" The team has driven 450-1000 to be here and wouldn't miss it. On H24, Lester Harrison is selling miitary books. He and his wife were very happy - the Officials were very helpful and they understood the conditions. J9/10 and 24/25 was Tag Airsoft (formerly Airsoft Skirmish): again very happy, especially when I told them bark chippings and straw will be laid on Tuesday! On A3 was Phil Bashall and Dunsfold Landrovers. He said: "no complaints and looking forward to an excellent show as ever. It's a military vehicle show and if we all gave up it would be very boring!" N16 was a tools and craft show. They've been coming every year since 1987 and are: "happy to take it as it is. It's a great show with something for everyone" Contact any of them to check their opinion! Click for photos of trade fields:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.502369309780319.130804.245264938824092&type=1"

Hi All

Thanks for all the updates, it is nice to know what to expect. It will be the first time I have come with a vehicle and I looking forward to it. I will be joining a small convoy near Petersfield tomorrow morning with other Solent Overlord members, looks like we chose a good day to travel. Just checked the route to make sure we dodge the Olympic torch relay

Richard

I watched the BBC weather report they do on Countryfile last night and it said Tuesday would be fine and Wednesday would be OK. Thursday would have showers. Then on Friday it would be mostly dry and there were signs that the Gulf Stream was starting to move north to where it should be and that if that is the case it would be dry in the south all weekend.

Rex and Seb Coe know all the right people....so don't worry.

MB

Tuesday afternoon. Ble*ding wrong wern't they!!

:iamsmiling: