Reporting Live from W&P 2012

Marmite!!

• Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Andy is correct - I referred in a separate post to the problem of an issue of a peronality clash between the webmaster and another W&P team member which led to him leaving the site. Shame. I have only just begun to sort out my photos. I had technical and other problems to surmount, but got some decent stuff.

Hi there folks,I appreciate what you are saying and in my role of being in charge of the Arena its good to hear constructive criticism ! Its a balancing act most of the time, some events you get plenty of vehicles and some you get damn all - we never knoew until you arrive. In fact one of the jeep events on sunday produced only 8 vehicles , it seems a shame when there were hundreds on site and the weather was good !

Also we have to work to a timetable and keeping to it often means we have to shorten or try to extend things to fit, its a balancing act all the time, plus fitting in reenactors sorting themsleves out with pyro and ensuring safety factors etc. it all gets very complicated on occasions.

We have to try and keep the paying public happy too, with at least something happening most of the time and if owners dont bring vehicles in it makes it that much harder, but going back to what you were saying we will try and do a bit more like that next year if time allows.

Oh and thank you too all the owners who did manage to come into the arena with their vehicles - our toys are best shown off when they are moving as you say !

Andy Mitchell

Hi Andy , Thanks for the reply and thanks for all the hard work you and your team put in . don't envy your job mate, especially in the dusty years ! Looking forward to next year already ! :D

Hi there folks,I appreciate what you are saying and in my role of being in charge of the Arena its good to hear constructive criticism ! Its a balancing act most of the time, some events you get plenty of vehicles and some you get damn all - we never knoew until you arrive. In fact one of the jeep events on sunday produced only 8 vehicles , it seems a shame when there were hundreds on site and the weather was good !

Also we have to work to a timetable and keeping to it often means we have to shorten or try to extend things to fit, its a balancing act all the time, plus fitting in reenactors sorting themsleves out with pyro and ensuring safety factors etc. it all gets very complicated on occasions.

We have to try and keep the paying public happy too, with at least something happening most of the time and if owners dont bring vehicles in it makes it that much harder, but going back to what you were saying we will try and do a bit more like that next year if time allows.

Oh and thank you too all the owners who did manage to come into the arena with their vehicles - our toys are best shown off when they are moving as you say !

Andy Mitchell

I dont know if it was you or not. But on a few occasions i made it to the arena i heard the same commentator during the times i was there,and during the battle with the Russians and Afgans and referrred to the afgan village as "Frenchganistan"?????. If it was you,then i can only commend you on a job well done. A natural ability to commentate and never dried up once and was able to keep the info flowing. Well done chap.

IMG_0387.jpg

the opel blitz we pulled out of the mud on the first day. a 1962 s2a in low box did the job and i am not worried about my welding skills anymore as the rear cross member did hold.

IMG_0411.jpg

the lovely interior of that Opel (called it a vauxhall blitz one night, ww3 nearly happened...)

IMG_0427.jpg

how much is the puppy in the window?

IMG_0391.jpg

i love them and is high on the list of vehicles i want but never be able to have.

IMG_0421.jpg

IMG_0422.jpg

IMG_0423.jpg

would be fun next year to have a roman battle too?

IMG_0396.jpg

an example of how my 88lw should look.mine is going to be fitted with a harvey frost crane, as i need to work with it.

IMG_0361.jpg

a hook i picked up for a nice price, might use it on my sankey, or is it war time and someone needs it for their vehicle?

cheers,

Arjan

Not sure if the Barmy Army mud wrestling actually happened though, as I got Elvised out and had to leave...still quite noisy but IT'S BELTRING!!

As they used to say "Be there or be square!"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

well Bernard just for you....

HMVF mud.jpg

Great news! There will be a three page special on The War and Peace Show in this Saturday's Independent magazine! Look out for a copy and read all about the biggest and best military vehicle show in the world!!

I just had a thumb-trough a copy in Tescos but couldn't see anything - did I miss it?

Great news! There will be a three page special on The War and Peace Show in this Saturday's Independent magazine! Look out for a copy and read all about the biggest and best military vehicle show in the world!!

I just had a thumb-trough a copy in Tescos but couldn't see anything - did I miss it?

Nope, I have a copy here and can't find it either, and there's some comments on facebook saying the same.

This is our first little teamvideo, not that much vehicles (though it has a bit of Neil's OT :))

Something went wrong...

For maximum quality please watch on Youtube at 1080p.

Next video (Arena battle) is being edited now..

Mod Edit: Youtube tags added. Please use YouTube Tags when posting vids. Thank You.

Edited by Marmite!!
Youtube tags added

This is our first little teamvideo, not that much vehicles (though it has a bit of Neil's OT :))

does anyone know how the OT was running after the slovak had a fiddel with the fuels system ?

I'm sure Neil will be over soon but he said it was running a lot better now.. And the times he went out with it after that the marshalls in the arena had to keep telling him to slow down :-D

The arena at W&P needs to be a bit bigger.. maybe a mud oval? :-D

I'm sure Neil will be over soon but he said it was running a lot better now.. And the times he went out with it after that the marshalls in the arena had to keep telling him to slow down :-D

The arena at W&P needs to be a bit bigger.. maybe a mud oval? :-D

Glad to hear its better, I will tell Kamil when I See him next week, maybe Mud and Rust needs an arena like the slovaks have at there show...

I got a couple of picture from Kamil's road test in the arena, so will post them asap...

http://www.slovenskepiesky.sk/en/uvod.html

heres a couple of photos I took of the OT under Slovak testing...

<snipped>

It's running a lot better!! Throttle pick-up is much better and top end in each fer is much improved - I can now do the 360 pivot in 2nd without losing power. I still have to replace the diesel bug infected filter - I think with all the ethanol sh*t in fuel these days this will have to be a yearly process.

It also gave the MoP something different to see in the Living History area - responses were so positive both sides of the rope that I might take the servicing kit with me next year and have the work done on site!! :-)

Please give Kamil my biggest thanks for all his help and if you have his e-mail address could you PM it to me please - he said he could hep put with oddball parts like the canvas deck covers and the torn side skirt.

Lee - arena crew have been saying they like the runs as it demonstrates the speed and agility of a vehicle most think of as a lumber monster (ala KV-1) - if we had a longer straight section on front of the crowds I could have run rings around the 432's that were following me on Wends morning!! :) One day I'll get into 5th gear!! :)

The slow down calls were on the back corners - I think the sight of 13 tons of armour drifting get the marshals there worried!!

my misses did the talk about her 109 ex RAF in the arena with the adaptions made so she can drive it.

the sunday it was just one lap while we drove in, and the story about the series 2a grill as being used as a bbq sounded like porkies, i would have loved to comment that the zinc gasses that would escape from heating it up is quite toxic.

i would also have done a lap with a bit of 4x4 just to play. had a guinness just after to calm my shakes as i don't like to be in the centre of attention

cheers,

Arjan

Hi there, yes you are right and quite wrong all at the same time, being the commentator you mention sounding like telling porkies, i feel i should answer you,

yes zinc is deadly when heated, indeed anything galvanised should never be heated but this didn't stop them using them as grill plates, they were outdoors and after repeated use, the zinc etc will have off gassed the poisons so they were just grills, not something i would like to try, not porkies as you assume, just a hole in your knowledge of landrover history and it's anecdotal stories.

as for laps round the arena, there are pros and cons, more laps means less chat with drivers, in which case the crowds could have missed your "missus" talking to me about her converted machine, which i personally think would have been a missed opportunity to encourage others to do the same, and show her determination and courage....

sometimes the seemingly most simple things that go on in the arena are more complex than you can imagine . plus you cant please everybody, some like to talk some like to drive, some just don't show up at all, and we are left with an empty arena, which pleases no one!

I dont know if it was you or not. But on a few occasions i made it to the arena i heard the same commentator during the times i was there,and during the battle with the Russians and Afgans and referrred to the afgan village as "Frenchganistan"?????. If it was you,then i can only commend you on a job well done. A natural ability to commentate and never dried up once and was able to keep the info flowing. Well done chap.

I am sure Andy Mitchell will answer this, but in the mean time, i thank you for your comments on the (my) commentary, during the russian /afgan punch up, there is no script to follow, so it is all off the top of my head, and i try to let the crowd know what the re-enactors are doing and why, sometimes it's not clear what with distance and army tactics etc, frenchganistan came from the fact that they were supposed to be in afganistan but all the street signs were in french, just a bit of fun to lighten the mood, commentating is more than talking about stuff, knowledge helps a lot, but the biggest fear is being boring!!! in that each commentator is on his own! hehehe cheers Woody,

I know grills where often replaces by plain steel wire ones to be used as grilles.

more the case with the series 3 as the plastic ones where poor as grill plates.

they made maltese crosses to replace them.

there are few myths round land-rovers and not all of them are true. like the salisbury rear axle is indestructible. i know better ;)

as for grilles, they might burned them clean before use, made their own or used them as is, i was not there and stories change during the years.

it's fair to say i never intended to offended you.

It's running a lot better!! Throttle pick-up is much better and top end in each fer is much improved - I can now do the 360 pivot in 2nd without losing power. I still have to replace the diesel bug infected filter - I think with all the ethanol sh*t in fuel these days this will have to be a yearly process.

Neil, you will have to do a lot more than just replace the filter, the whole system will need treating. Its not an ethanol issue, diesel bug has been around a long, long time (its the Supher in diesel that used to keep it at bay, ethanol is an issue in petrol). Its just more prevelent nowadays. Best get a stock of filters in, and drain the water from your fuel tanks regularly. There are threads on here about how best to treat it. My company has spent vast ammounts of money on plant that treats fuel as it is delivered from road tankers to our storage tanks.

BTW I believe Soviet fuel stockpiled for years and then released onto the market after the cold war had all sorts of nasties in it, having been stored for so long.