British & Canadian Army use of Dodge Weapons Carriers in NW Europe in WW2?

LarryH57

I know that many Dodge Weapons Carriers (with and without winch) were issued to the British & Commonwealth Forces in the Far East and in SW Pacific area and Australia , as my Dad used one in Borneo in 1945, (and the recreation of his Dodge would probably be disbelieved at MV shows today, as it would be painted in US Olive Drab and with Allied star as delivered, with Australian Army additions of the Australian 7th Division, and driven by dad in RAF Uniform (a mix of Jungle Greens and Australian version, with Australian Brown boots, and with a few trusted Japanese POWS in the back!)

But were Dodge Weapons Carriers ever used by the British Army or Canadian Army in NW Europe?

I think the Canadians made their own version of the Dodge WC at their Chrysler factory as the D3 but I guess that was too late to see action in NW Europe?

16 hours ago, LarryH57 said:

I know that many Dodge Weapons Carriers (with and without winch) were issued to the British & Commonwealth Forces in the Far East and in SW Pacific area and Australia , as my Dad used one in Borneo in 1945, (and the recreation of his Dodge would probably be disbelieved at MV shows today, as it would be painted in US Olive Drab and with Allied star as delivered, with Australian Army additions of the Australian 7th Division, and driven by dad in RAF Uniform (a mix of Jungle Greens and Australian version, with Australian Brown boots, and with a few trusted Japanese POWS in the back!)

But were Dodge Weapons Carriers ever used by the British Army or Canadian Army in NW Europe?

I think the Canadians made their own version of the Dodge WC at their Chrysler factory as the D3 but I guess that was too late to see action in NW Europe?

Just going by photographic evidence:  in the SW Pacific Area , the RAAF ( Air Force) were issued with some WC 3/4 Weapons Carriers and some Command Cars.... whereas the army were using mostly CMP trucks and MCP trucks. Seems to be a good number of surviving  3/4  Weapons Carriers here in Australia but some were post-war imports by Surplus dealers..... 

These are Scenes at Finschhafen P.N.G. with US soldiers. 

Strafing damage by Japanese aircraft in the Northern Territory Australia

advert: Surplus dealer in Sydney . 

Finc-PNG1.jpg

finc-PNG2.jpg

SLV14.jpg

WCEurope.jpg

Edited by goanna
  • Like 1