Reporting Live from W&P 2012

Marmite!!

I know grills where often replaces by plain steel wire ones to be used as grilles.

more the case with the series 3 as the plastic ones where poor as grill plates.

they made maltese crosses to replace them.

there are few myths round land-rovers and not all of them are true. like the salisbury rear axle is indestructible. i know better ;)

as for grilles, they might burned them clean before use, made their own or used them as is, i was not there and stories change during the years.

it's fair to say i never intended to offended you.

No offence taken, so no worries there, anecdotal stories are always full of vaguearies, and i am sure many dubious add ons to enhance the wonder of them, but luckily having australian relatives did help in verifying the fact that they did (and probably still do in some places) use them as grills, so that story at least i can verify, but like i said personally i would not want my bangers roasting over the fire being infused by the toxins given off by hot galv!! as a firefighter i am all too aware of toxins given off by hot things as i deal with that almost daily,

i had one of the maltese cross grills once on a late 2a, much better than the fragile plastic one, which is fine until you dare to touch the clips that hold it on, plastic grills .....just goes to show progress isnt always forward!! cheers woody

• Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sure Andy Mitchell will answer this, but in the mean time, i thank you for your comments on the (my) commentary, during the russian /afgan punch up, there is no script to follow, so it is all off the top of my head, and i try to let the crowd know what the re-enactors are doing and why, sometimes it's not clear what with distance and army tactics etc, frenchganistan came from the fact that they were supposed to be in afganistan but all the street signs were in french, just a bit of fun to lighten the mood, commentating is more than talking about stuff, knowledge helps a lot, but the biggest fear is being boring!!! in that each commentator is on his own! hehehe cheers Woody,
I did gather that the set was performing two purposes. You did a good job. It's been a long time since I have been to a show be it Military or in the car world that you get an "interesting" commentator. Most are boring or fall flat on there arse. But as I said before. I think you did a cracking job. Look forward to hearing you do the arena events next year.:thumbsup:

I think that commentating is an invidious task. It makes sense that Woody splits the WW2 stuff from the post war with Tony. It can't be easy finding a balance between informing and entertaining - especially when you have an arena full of one type and a gallery of public who want to see things going fast or stuff blowing up. While at this year's show more than one person said to me they were glad to see the back of Pat Ware and his presentations. Poor Pat! I have to say the whole thing is a thankless task. I would always prefer to see things zooming around than stationary, but the casual visitor does need information. Big gatherings of one type are impressive when there are truly a lot in the arena (if we are talking WP). But it isn't easy to martial or commentate. I am biased. I have worked as a snapper at WP for years and have always had a laugh with the Arena team. Sometimes they remember my name... and sometimes I remember theirs, like this year. But nowadays I have an excuse. Is it time for my bath now, auntie?

@Woody.

i got my info 10 years back from a girl who lived at a sheep station.

might be some did not know the dangers, like today with asbestos and lead chromate paint.

i never figured out why the grill and window frame where heavy galvanized and chassis where not exept for the south africa models that where refurbed there and early series 1's.

Neil, you will have to do a lot more than just replace the filter, the whole system will need treating. Its not an ethanol issue, diesel bug has been around a long, long time (its the Supher in diesel that used to keep it at bay, ethanol is an issue in petrol). Its just more prevelent nowadays. Best get a stock of filters in, and drain the water from your fuel tanks regularly. There are threads on here about how best to treat it. My company has spent vast ammounts of money on plant that treats fuel as it is delivered from road tankers to our storage tanks.

BTW I believe Soviet fuel stockpiled for years and then released onto the market after the cold war had all sorts of nasties in it, having been stored for so long.

Fuel system was drained, flushed and all the filters replaced prior to me buying the vehicle. RME got their fingers sort of burnt in 2007 when they exhibited the first one on old diesel - it got 50 yards and cut out!! Luckily crazy Hans and his buddies from the former East Germany were there and they fixed it for them. As a result all the OT-90's they sold had this work done to the fuel system.

Last year two of RME's guys came down and changed the oil and coolant over and replaced all the filters again. Right now the two in the rear of the vehicle are fine, it's just the one in the engine bay that is gunged up. All were due for replacing again next year anyway.

Thanks Neil. You'd struggle to get a more balanced article than that. I love the way it finishes -

"The slogan on one man's T-shirt perhaps sums it up best: "My mother warned me there were people like this. I just wasn't looking in the right place."

For those that are interested - the article in the Independent was held back a week and appeared yesterday.

Thanks Neil. You'd struggle to get a more balanced article than that. I love the way it finishes -

"The slogan on one man's T-shirt perhaps sums it up best: "My mother warned me there were people like this. I just wasn't looking in the right place."

I'm pleasantly surprised how upbeat the article is :-) nough said

It was a bit of colour. I suppose we are all a bit cautious how "the hobby" (too broad a term some of the time methinks) is presented to the outside world because you find yourself on a kind of sliding scale from anorak to weirdo or sometimes worse. While at WP this year I witnessed a few things I am glad the folks from the Independent missed. Exuberance of a sort amongst continental gentlemen reliving the days of the thousand year Reich. Someone told me it was recreating history - thus missing the point by some millions of miles. Nuff said.

Notwithstanding these horrible scenes I think the show continues to hold water (which might be a pun for 2012). I am on the event team and remain firmly unbiased regardless of this fact. It continues to be a monster in many ways. But it is an incredible spectacle...So I guess I'll see some of you there next summer one way or the other.

MB

This is not aimed at any particular member but please lets not go down this road again, it's been done to death. Many of our members are Reenactors & members of Living History groups, some just wear the appropriate uniform to go with their vehicle. If you don't like & prefer seeing people driving tanks in dayglo colours that's fine but please remember we have rules about flamming fellow forum members.

It rather gave the impression that it is all about reenactment though, and I use the term in its loosest possible sense. I feel more and more in the minority at shows in that I have no desire to dress up.

Well that makes two of us ! ;)

Rob..................rnixartillery.

Being in the Inde, a somewhat to the left of centre paper, I'm amazed that they didn't go right overboard on the wearing of "Nazi" uniforms & "Nazi" tanks!

Wittmann's biography has him joining the SS due to the uniform!