Reporting Live from W&P 2012

Marmite!!

We arrived on the 14th with the jeep, halftrack and dodge and after walking the route to our pitch on Monktons we had a bit of a squelchy time driving on to the pitch but no dramas, we were camped up by the arena marshalls and it seems we were surrounded by some of the worst roads on the site. We set up our tents but by monday we were wondering if it was worth calling the low loader to pick us up on wed due to all the roads being nearly impassable to most MV's due to idiots forcing their way through ticker tapes and barriers and acting surprised when they got bottomed out. Glad we held on as spent more time in the arena than ever before and picked up runner up in the prize giving for the ambluance. Congratulations to Mark for his prize with Shrek.

Here's our halftrack finished at 2am before loading to the show.

Now that looks really nice, well worth the effort !:cool2:

• Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome!

Olaf must be over the moon.

I am packing my bags, i am on my way. Someone save me a patch of mud before Olaf uses it all up.

Tim

Because of the traffic ban there asn't much chance to surf.

However we had our own private swamp which we kept wet when the sun finally appeard.

Still things were going on in the swamp...

First a pair of inverted boots appeared foloowed by a "help me" signe, later a bomb was discovered in it and at last a green kids pushbike was found in between the boots....

Strange things go on at W&P...

Did that missing man got found in the end? Sounds like fun to camp in the military section next year. Civvy tents welcome?

I was walking through the Living History section and the Paramedics were dealing with a German re-enactor who had collapsed. Can't remember which day it was - could have been Wednesday. Is he OK?

Cheers Snort, here's some more piccies now I've figures out how to resize them.

272-IMG_0858.jpg

There are more pictures of vehicles stuck but after running up to stop people getting stuck after they had driven through warning tape to many times, I just pulled out a beer and watched, wasn't so funny at 2:30 am when a load of drunk french men got two jeeps beached and were using a dodge and its winch to pull them out while parked up between peoples tents, amazed no-one got hurt. Still was a good week with lots of stories and interesting people we met.

034-IMG_0825.jpg

040-IMG_0832.jpg

046-P1010026.jpg

047-P1010027.jpg

056-P1010032.jpg

059-P1010035.jpg

070-P1010046.jpg

079-P1010055.jpg

084-P1010060.jpg

149-P1010125.jpg

156-P1010132.jpg

190-P1010165.jpg

255-IMG_0841.jpg

We arrived on the 14th with the jeep, halftrack and dodge and after walking the route to our pitch on Monktons we had a bit of a squelchy time driving on to the pitch but no dramas, we were camped up by the arena marshalls and it seems we were surrounded by some of the worst roads on the site. We set up our tents but by monday we were wondering if it was worth calling the low loader to pick us up on wed due to all the roads being nearly impassable to most MV's due to idiots forcing their way through ticker tapes and barriers and acting surprised when they got bottomed out. Glad we held on as spent more time in the arena than ever before and picked up runner up in the prize giving for the ambluance. Congratulations to Mark for his prize with Shrek.

Here's our halftrack finished at 2am before loading to the show.

No doubt that is one tasty looking Halftrack :-)

They are unimog 411

The first mog, basically built for agriculture, then used for military.

my friend has the same, (not military version) it will go anywhere, but don't expect to break any sound barriers! :-\

Cheers

shaun

Edited by Amphibi boy
Spelling

Two special MVs:

This Nuffield Mechanisations conversion of a Jeep into a special airborne version didn't get past experimental stage. I saw it on the far side of Medway, so not sure how many will have seen it:

IMG_1008 (Medium).JPG

The Canadian OTTER won several awards and was restored form a hulk:

IMG_1014 (Medium).JPG

IMG_1017 (Medium).JPG

IMG_1016 (Medium).JPG

IMG_1015 (Medium).JPG

IMG_1007 (Medium).JPG

IMG_1006 (Medium).JPG

IMG_1005 (Medium).JPG

IMG_1004 (Medium).JPG

IMG_1104 (Medium).JPG

Helicopter video of the Beltring site

[video=youtube_share;kiaOTvOCUxM]

Thats brilliant, I did it about 10 yrs ago and it scared the sh*t out of me!, the pilot we had must of thought he was is 'nam........

Shows how packed the medway field was to.

Just my opinion but I would like to see the vehicles in the arena doing more circuits and maybe pull one out at a time to give details to the audience ! On several occasions I was rather bored as they had all lined up for ages after one circuit and then after a lengthy chat about each vehicle it was one more lap then out ! The vehicles get very few opportunities to show their paces during the week and can easily be seen at rest any other time ! Having said that I wouldn't miss the show for the world ! Warts and all ! :-D

Just my opinion but I would like to see the vehicles in the arena doing more circuits and maybe pull one out at a time to give details to the audience ! On several occasions I was rather bored as they had all lined up for ages after one circuit and then after a lengthy chat about each vehicle it was one more lap then out ! The vehicles get very few opportunities to show their paces during the week and can easily be seen at rest any other time ! Having said that I wouldn't miss the show for the world ! Warts and all ! :-D

Suspect that the drivers of the vehicles would like more time as well, sitting and waiting isn't much fun either.

my misses did the talk about her 109 ex RAF in the arena with the adaptions made so she can drive it.

the sunday it was just one lap while we drove in, and the story about the series 2a grill as being used as a bbq sounded like porkies, i would have loved to comment that the zinc gasses that would escape from heating it up is quite toxic.

i would also have done a lap with a bit of 4x4 just to play. had a guinness just after to calm my shakes as i don't like to be in the centre of attention

cheers,

Arjan

Hi there folks,I appreciate what you are saying and in my role of being in charge of the Arena its good to hear constructive criticism ! Its a balancing act most of the time, some events you get plenty of vehicles and some you get damn all - we never knoew until you arrive. In fact one of the jeep events on sunday produced only 8 vehicles , it seems a shame when there were hundreds on site and the weather was good !

Also we have to work to a timetable and keeping to it often means we have to shorten or try to extend things to fit, its a balancing act all the time, plus fitting in reenactors sorting themsleves out with pyro and ensuring safety factors etc. it all gets very complicated on occasions.

We have to try and keep the paying public happy too, with at least something happening most of the time and if owners dont bring vehicles in it makes it that much harder, but going back to what you were saying we will try and do a bit more like that next year if time allows.

Oh and thank you too all the owners who did manage to come into the arena with their vehicles - our toys are best shown off when they are moving as you say !

Andy Mitchell

with the land-rover line up last sunday i think it was a single lap cos it where that many.

my misses drive up front, followed by me, and after the first lap we got parked as there where still vehicles comming in the arena.

for next year, can we park our 101fc ambulance with the rear to the crowd so we can open the doors and show off the internals? if the engine won't blow a conrod through..

did the war and peace crew make some pictures of the arena too? would like to see them ;)