Reporting Live from W&P 2012

Marmite!!

• Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just drop some more vehicles of w,p yes still muddy but for the people there there is that dunkirk attitude cannot change the weather so lets get on with it you will get muddy and wet but you still will have a good time but if you dont like those conditions i would stay away but for the rest the staff our working very hard to make it work talk to them they dont bite except mr dunlop but his heart is in the right place

any recent pictures Lee ?, i`ve had reports its like thick custard and i probably would`nt be able to get in with the OY without a tow :)

regards

Given up for now.. first I was accussed of misleading people & making the place look to muddy & wet, now people are having a pop as my last lot of photos showing the site in sunshine & again is misleading people... :yawn:

Seen quite a few HMVF Members today & during the week... there are still people arriving all the time.. there are the odd vehicle getting stuck but they are soon moving again..

Given up for now.. first I was accussed of misleading people & making the place look to muddy & wet, now people are having a pop as my last lot of photos showing the site in sunshine & again is misleading people... :yawn:

Seen quite a few HMVF Members today & during the week... there are still people arriving all the time.. there are the odd vehicle getting stuck but they are soon moving again..

Can't please all of 'em all the time mate.:banghead:

Have fun

Sorry to be....shall we say a little suspicious,but Lee was doing a great job...welldone.

BUT was this censorship from the W&P organisor's.......lots of money invested here.Dont want to scare too many people away too early on,but noticed the small comment about weekend campesr invited to ring if they wanted to. Come friday lunch how manywill be advised to stay away.

I'm not knocking I'm sure that everyone is working VERY had......Keep calm and Carry on !!!!!

Lee don't stop (thats an order from God) you have made all the difference with your updates and important from those going or not going so please keep us all up to date.

I am leaving at 06:00 tomorrow for Jims - Allied Forces - then jumping in his Range Rover as I will be driving that over (was blamed for blowing it up the last time I drove it across Belgium and France - Jim decided he wanted to sleep, which is fine, but not whilst doing 80mph) and I will be joining Team Allied Forces for the week (have been promoted to No 1 slave). So I will see you Wednesday sometime. Keep smiling mate and we all thank you for the updates.

Dorset.

Out.

Hi all,

After reading the conflicting reports on the show, I decided to visit today without my MV and see for myself. Here are my main observations:

1.Most of the area is a flat alluvial plain and prone to ponding – although the`pools` seem to be gradually soaking into the ground. The river level does not appear to be affecting ground water levels of the main site (it being belowground level today at least)

2.The only tracks passable for 2-wheel drive vehicles (military or otherwise) are (a) the track leading from the farm to Americas field and (b) the exit trackleading directly from Medway field, through Monktons and out. Both tracks seem to have a substantial granular base content remaining below the slop and should be traversable. Virtually all other interconnecting tracks are extremely challenging – even for 4WD (many have actually been blocked-off as impassable). In the case of Monktons, the track deteriorates quite a bit once passed the only tree along the track. Getting to individual locations within Americas requires 4WD.

3.Provided you can get your vehicle to them, most areas are ok for tents although, the ground will of course is very damp

4.Once at your camp spot, vehicle movements are being discouraged – which limits trips to Paddock Wood !

5.The organizers – at least in Americas were assisting with location of vehicles today(to their final resting place…..). In Monktons however, if you get stuck, you may have a long wait.

6.The stalls are setting up, with several of the usual suspect up and running. Some good bargains to be had – as I found out today !

So in summary, the ground has chewed-up badly, limiting traffic to mostly the two main routes through the site noted above. Camping is possible but, once at your spot it may not be possible to get out until the show finishes (and with help from an appropriate vehicle – especially if you drive a 2WD). The arena is looking very promising and, many displays are under construction. Several stalls are already there but clearly, the ground conditions are rendering some locations un-usable. The weather is what it is, and we must live with it.

A stirling job on the part of the organisers under the circumstances.

Wellies and ponchos are the order of the day and, I will certainly be there over the weekend.

Pics to follow.

Cheers

Steve 82

Edited by Steve 82

For what it is worth - the press team will start snapping from tomorrow - so you will be able to see a good range of images from the event on the show website. I will be there with Simon Thomson, John Blackman, Stuart Gould and Phil Royal plus a lady named Sarah who snaps a lot of the special event stuff.

Please do continue to post. Personally I would rather be forewarned with as much info as possible, good or bad - I'd rather come fearing the worst and be pleasantly surprised if it dries out! You have all my sympathy like anyone else running an outside event this summer - keep up the good work.

-9Stone