Snow Joke

Markheliops

Hi all.

Okay - lets have your pic's as we are currently under a slightly unusual weather spell!!!

I ventured out on foot - too many morons out in their cars trying to drive. I'm sure they all didn't need to make the car journey!!!

SP_A0203.jpg

SP_A0200.jpg

I took the dog for a walk - he obviously hadn't seen the snow before.

SP_A0199.jpg

SP_A0201.jpg

This is the road leading to the main road. A couple of abandoned cars parked up.

SP_A0202.jpg

You can see how much snow has fallen by measuring the snow on the garden table.

SP_A0204.jpg

What's happening everywhere else.

Markheliops

Edited by Markheliops

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

About half an inch at the moment here in Herefordshire but light snow falling. If the forecast can be believed te worst is to come later.

Believe it - there is much worst to come. It's STILL snowing here. They recon about another 6 inches tonight.

Glad I'm on my 4 days off.

MARK I'm in FIFE between Dundee and St Andrews on a hill overlooking RAF Leuchars; Its been sunny most of the morning the wind is variable between a breeze and some real gusts. No snow on the ground just some very short but heavy bursts of snow , sleet or hail. The young Gentlemen from the Big Flying club have been up this morning and the first wave has just returned.

I spent 8 years in Germany and a year in Labrador all I can say is we have become a nation of absolute whimps. In Labrador we obviously used a lot of 4x4s as well as 4x2 vehicles but winter tyres not 4WD were the key thing your street scene would greet us every morning for at least 2 months of the year sweep the top of the vehicle , bonnet and windows clean, (a legal requirement in many countries but of course not in the UK as that would infringe human rights!!) while the engine is warming up. let the clutch out slowly with just a tiny touch of throttle and away you go --no problem !! In automatics into drive tiny touch of the gas no problem, I recall our runway only closed in total whiteout conditions when the snow was so bad it actually affected the radar. But once the intensity died down it would soon be open again.

The revenue lost each weather event here could be more than saved if we invested in just a few more items of snow/ice removal gear, gritters etc end of rant enjoy your day with the dog, mine also loves the snow.

On the bright side, we have a kid down the road who rides up & down on one of those motorised scooter things, I've had a run in with his old man a few times but he doesn't give a toss... well the lad has just come of the thing & crashed into his old man's new motor... made my day:-D

Proves God has a sense of humour. As for me got phoned up yesterday 'Do you want to do overtime?' Me 'NO!' guess what? All London buses off the road by order, so I'd be getting overtime rate for Doing **** ALL! :argh:

PS Lovley greyhound , my favourite breed.

Ok we are trying to work out who's missing from the forum today... A couple of members had a bit to much last night & were being a bit silly, they got caught out by the snow... we expect them to defrost by Friday... my money was on Rick W. being one of them but we've found him:confused:

I have a suspicion the one with the keg could be Mark the Mod....

EDIT ..opps only just spotted the carrot :sweat: must be Heliops in that one:coffee:

snowman.jpg

snoman1.jpg

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

snow2009013.jpg

snow2009012.jpg

snow2009008.jpg

snow2009002.jpg

We made into work a very difficult 2 miles :rofl:No salt on rds no grit,no buses.No deliveries .mot station shut.bank shut,Lots of calls cancelling jobs.Kids went off to the park with the sledges couldnt get in,closed ,health and safety.:argh:once again you couldnt make it up.

Dont the councill have a duty of care,what happened to the salt on rds.

I was the only one to clear the path and entrance,years ago everyone did it.Another sad reflection of todays authorities ,and population.

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

Sounds about right,as it is a legal crossover maybe i should of slipped and sued them before i started,They probably know from the weather man it wont last for long so its cheaper to pay compensation than have equipment standing idle all year,doesnt stop them hiring it though.Its called the Bo--ng Theory,Pay compo on a crash,its cheaper than research and development.Come to think of it we never did hear why the last one crash landed at heathrow.

Lying on the ground we've got maybe 6" to 8" but in places it's drifted up to 14" - most amusing. I've had company all day which was quite nice as the wife was told her school (500 yards away) is closed till further notice.

The dog has had a field day playing in the snow - was hilarious this morning as it's the first really deep stuff he's seen - we opened the front door , he shot out, jumped off the top step as usual - and landed with the snow halfway up his sides. The look was priceless!! :rofl::rofl:

DSCF0871.jpg

DSCF0869.jpg

Lee - nice one with the oik on the mini-bike - talk about poetic justice!!! :rofl::rofl:

Wow - seems everybody else has had loads more than here in my corner of rural Essex . Was about half an inch on the ground last night when I put the truck away & loaded up my gear for today & another inch maybe , on top , when I went out & opened up the yard around half six this morning . Been working here all day but there's not been much more . My brother & one of the boys ventured into Suffolk where they are presently working & the roads were fine . Had to laugh when they got there as the customer was huddled up indoors saying ' How did you get here ? We're cut off ' . Answer - ' Well , the last hundred yards up to your door was a bit snowy but the other twenty miles or so was fine ' :-D

Brilliant... that looks a good day, well spent!

Isn't it a great feeling blasting through the snow in one of the oldest vehicles on the road watching all the bits of plastic clattering into each other?

Cant resist whizzing around in the snow in the dodge... marvellous!

I had a bit of difficulty getting to work this morning. (Uckfield to Lewes road).

I left home at 2:15am and had to dodge several vans and cars that wouldn't go up the hills on the way. I managed to get there without stopping. There was about five inches of snow at our yard and one of our artic tankers had already left. He was panicking as he thought He might get stuck on Handcross Hill on the A23 heading for Theale. Mind you he had already negotiated Coldean Lane on the A27. He never did get to Theale, and it was just as well because had he got there he wouldn't have got back.

I had an empty run to do to Coryton in Essex with the other artic tanker so I decided to go via Brighton town centre as this route is fairly flat. Brighton was a real Bu**er to get through due to snow, ice and some over enthusiastic so**ing traffic lights.

Once I got on the A23 north of Patcham the roads were pretty clear and I had a good run up the M25 too. Got two more loads from Essex tomorrow just to keep me out of mischief. :yawn: