Recovery and Towing

Tony B

• Replies 996
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you look at the video it is a complimation of various shots that have been put together. In the wrong order. When you look the bit were the towing eye snaps it should have been after the bit it precceds. Also it shows something i have stressed on this thread before only use towing eyes for direct pull never for lifting or sideways pulls. It states this in manfacturers hand book. This may seem like a told you so comment but the people stood close came away very lucky. Also they desrve an A*** kicking for hanging the hook directly into the toweye lifting on the top jaw lets hope they learn't something

You can see how the hook is pulling on the top jaw at around 4.28 mark. the whole force being applied will have been held by a tiny sqaure pip on the the bottom of the towing pin that is till it let go. Thankfully as has being said by various people on this forum "before winching is a harmless" occupation nothing to it (tongue in cheek smily here)

Edited by cosrec

seen this one many times...but come on it isnt really recovery its a load of lads having a laugh, and they did get it out...

If it aint a recovery come on what is it?

where do you draw the line ?

Edited by cosrec

Had to pull a couple of motorhomes out of ruts at the local show yesterday , old chap had the oldest chains that i'd ever seen , rust dropping off them and then was arguing with me when i produced a 6 ton strop and shackles Cetified ever year ) to pull him out saying that he lifted 15 tons with them the day before the show , so drove off telling him that when he came to his sence's to give me a wave and i would come back over and pull him out , Left the show and he was still there.

Im not a H&S devoted individual but when im at the other end of a chain (which i wont do) i want to go home alive

Jamie

Dispite what impression i give with the amount of knocking i do on here. I am not a Healh and Saftey freak either. But and this is a real big but i am passionate about using common sense and people using it. After all it is the most essential tool in everybodys tool box wether on on a recovery or getting through life in general. Unfortunatly there seems at the scene of a recovery to be something of an adrenal rush macho thing happen that makes common sense evaporate. I am all for everybody getting stuck in and having a go but take time and think it through. A little thought for you all some of the best most profitable jobs for us have come about because people have tackled jobs will a bullish no thought approach. Like last poster if i see something thats not safe happening i am retreating to a safe place.

When I was at college I found an old (1960s?) book on recovery. On the first page was a flow diagram and the first box said "Engage brain before mouth or other equipment".

this reminds me of a winch truck at Dhekelia

When I was at college I found an old (1960s?) book on recovery. On the first page was a flow diagram and the first box said "Engage brain before mouth or other equipment".

I had the same book for my 15th birth day read it over and over till it dropped to bits. I cant remember who wrote it or what it was called. Can anyone one else remember its name i would like to find a copy. Seem to think it was wrote by someone with milatry back ground as he discribed snatch blocks set ups as gun tackle

I had the same book for my 15th birth day read it over and over till it dropped to bits. I cant remember who wrote it or what it was called. Can anyone one else remember its name i would like to find a copy. Seem to think it was wrote by someone with milatry back ground as he discribed snatch blocks set ups as gun tackle

I am sure it is called "the recovery handbook" or something like that. I used to have a copy, but lent it to someone!!!!

I tried to buy another copy a few years ago, but it seems to be VERY hard to get and commands a very high price if you can find one. It is a very good read.

I am sure it is called "the recovery handbook" or something like that. I used to have a copy, but lent it to someone!!!!

I tried to buy another copy a few years ago, but it seems to be VERY hard to get and commands a very high price if you can find one. It is a very good read.

Somebody has just told me it was called Vehicle Recovery, Ron Grice, last reprint 1977 Newnes Butterworths Ltd.

It was the only book about at the time and was the civillian industries bible. Now i have heard the name again i believe the author worked for Bill jackson at Dial Holmes

Somebody has just told me it was called Vehicle Recovery, Ron Grice, last reprint 1977 Newnes Butterworths Ltd.

It was the only book about at the time and was the civillian industries bible. Now i have heard the name again i believe the author worked for Bill jackson at Dial Holmes

I was about to ask if it was Grice. Orange cover IIRC. I have a (mint) copy somewhere and had no idea it was either scarce or (allegedly) valuable. Good book though, an excellent source of reference for the Donaldson Reactor.

I think this vidio clip is ideal to have a friendly competition with. Hows about ideas if the job could have been done with what was available on the video. Plus how it would have been used. It would all be theory of course as none of us where there and could not have the full picture. I think it was possible and post my ideas if any body else has a go.

I think this vidio clip is ideal to have a friendly competition with. Hows about ideas if the job could have been done with what was available on the video. Plus how it would have been used. It would all be theory of course as none of us where there and could not have the full picture. I think it was possible and post my ideas if any body else has a go.

OK I'll start. I wouldn't have used that 240V extension lead he was unraveling to use as a tow rope - I'm amazed it stuck the load and I certainly wouldn't trust plugging it into the mains afterwards.