Recovery and Towing

Tony B

I have a foden drops but i would like the wreaker,,, 8x6 foden
Why not have best of both . One of our next projects is we have a civilian 8 wheeler hook loader we are mounting a set of stiff legs big winch and recovery crane on a flat rack so the truck can take scrap in bins away and double up for recovery when needed

• Replies 996
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have not put a post on here lately about actual recovery and towing but where i left of was towing on a staight pole talking abouut going downhill on a straight pole. Hows about going up hill on a straight pole well heres a short vidio that made me laugh and it is exactly the same effect

Some very useful equipment in use in this video ! Sorry to see the Scania wrecked , someones pride and joy (and livelyhood of course) wrecked ! Something went wrong...

You will notice the stabilizer legs are still stowed on the truck. Foolish error number two. Foolish error number one was attempting the job in an area where it's impossible to extend the outriggers. I have turned down many many craning jobs because i cant fully rig the crane. Even though our crane can down rate and run free on rubber it must only be done with the outriggers extended just clear of the ground...

very impressive recovery in first vid - looks like a really awkward spot - the boat gave the impression of a walk in the park whilst lifting the truck - good bit of teamwork with the guys on land

never grow tired of observing professionals at work - going to enjoy wading thru earlier posts in this thread in time

second vid sounded like a cheating death clank as the hitch hit the truck

guessing next time the guy might think about connecting to something else or standing further away!

Close shave ! Something went wrong...

My post 518 ?

A bit more on why I wont use standard towing eyes for heavy pulls. Originally the majority of towing eyes were the screw in type. These were actually lifting eyes the same fitted to electric motors machinery etc if you look them up they have a SWL 2 tons direct pull they could stand virtually no side loading. Next came the centrally mounted xmember type if fitted with correct pin these could stand 5 ton non standard pin smaller than original fitted and they pulled the top flange out around about 3 ton . Next came the type fitted Bedford TK cargos these were good for about 3 ton per side straight pull. Ok for a moderate pull if used in tandem Modern day commercials are fitted with quick connect towing eyes either side front on chassis ends these are good for about 4.5 tons. Only one towing eye is supplied per vehicle. These towing eyes are very substantial so why such a low rating. Because there is a great danger of lozenging the chassis above these ratings. Believe me I have seen it done. Also if subjected to side loadings they can easily bend the chassis ends. With out exception and it usually says in vehicle handbook definitely no lift forces are to be applied to them. Which to me leaves only manufacturer supplied trailer attachments eg drawbar units. These will stand as much as the chassis can so are ok to use but have the problem of being difficult to fasten to. As for cars they have flimsy pressed steel towing eyes or more modern ones have screw in eyes. Personally I wont use these to winch a vehicle on to a slide bed never mind out of mud or up an embankment. Which is why I said fasten to axles

I think this truck will be fitted with hook type towing eyes as fitted on US army vehicles fitted with the open part upwards because the wrecker is supplying a lifting as well as pulling force the towing eye has all the force directed to the open side of the hook causing it to straighten out

Edited by cosrec

..... Originally the majority of towing eyes were the screw in type. These were actually lifting eyes the same fitted to electric motors machinery etc if you look them up they have a SWL 2 tons direct pull they could stand virtually no side loading. .....

I always knew these as "dynamo rings" and have always regarded them as being of very limited use for precisely that reason. OK for a direct lift axial with the thread, but nothing else. It has always scared me the number of 4x4 owners you see now who have bought their cheapo electric winch and think that using it with a dynamo ring as a strong point is good practice. Accidents waiting to happen. I suppose to an extent it is evolution in action!

Interesting in the clip (post #629)how slow the operator's reactions seem to be - by the time he has reacted it is all over! Another salutory lesson for those who think they'll have time to get out of the way.

Interesting in the clip (post #629)how slow the operator's reactions seem to be - by the time he has reacted it is all over! Another salutory lesson for those who think they'll have time to get out of the way.

i guess he didnt know what had happened untill the hook clattered on the end of the boom waking him up and making him jump. but if you read previous posts he was safe enough winch wires only attack metal inanimate objects not humans

i guess he didnt know what had happened untill the hook clattered on the end of the boom waking him up and making him jump. but if you read previous posts he was safe enough winch wires only attack metal inanimate objects not humans From what i saw the winch wire did'nt attack anybody in that video. looked to be well within its rating as the winch was still pulling and not on the relief valve. Now then.....the ****ty rigging that fastened the winch wire to the truck. that could kill someone, but not the winch wire or the winching opperation. If he had fastened to the axle with an overspec chain or round sling he could pull till the winch stalled then sit on the cable and think about his next move...

It was all the revving that got me...And the many attempts to pull ot over with even more revving. Pure showboating, it would have pulled it the first time, All he was doing was putting on a show. And to be honest it was a good show. I bet he felt really silly after, looking down at his super fantastc king of a tow truck that can pull anything. i wonder how he's going to earn a living now...

Could it have been one of these ????? Shame if its survived 70+ years Still looks like their a resource full lot soon have it knocked back into shape that is if they ever get it it back out

The body looked like a CMP, but the cab could have been an old Merc, or Tata, (it looked like it could have been in India or thereabouts).

• 2 weeks later...
i guess he didnt know what had happened untill the hook clattered on the end of the boom waking him up and making him jump. but if you read previous posts he was safe enough winch wires only attack metal inanimate objects not humans
From what i saw the winch wire did'nt attack anybody in that video. looked to be well within its rating as the winch was still pulling and not on the relief valve. Now then.....the ****ty rigging that fastened the winch wire to the truck. that could kill someone, but not the winch wire or the winching opperation. If he had fastened to the axle with an overspec chain or round sling he could pull till the winch stalled then sit on the cable and think about his next move...

Fraid not with that W35/45 wrecking gear no safty relief on them three possible out comes if used to max

(a)wrecker rears up or slides

(b) engine stalls (not with him reving it)

© something breaks

Edited by cosrec