Recovery and Towing

Tony B

crikey rather him than me, I know these things can do all sorts of tricks but I have also seen how easy they can go over...it does not take much...intriguing why he was on top of the silage heap and how he got up there...

Like this perhaps?

http://www.youtube.com/embed/Q1CMSV81_ws

This is neat too:-

http://www.youtube.com/embed/VRfBJIzNrYw

• Replies 996
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

auto1.jpg

easy job. just had to educate how it works to the dutch AA guy, and then the recovery man that i cant steer.

the main steeringbox went with a bust after picking up some 101 parts, now we have put in a series3 column, with a late 2a style steeringwheel. chassis is patched now and hope to restore more wits when the new chassis can be afforded.

cheers,

Arjan

However when we get it wrong....it's quite spectacular.....I like the way the whole chassis cab falls of the unit at the end.... ouch... boom broke too, Cable ok though...... Something went wrong...

Thought this would interest you Rob ! It amazes me how many crane disaster videos there are on Youtube ! A very dangerous job if not thought through properly it would seem ! Something went wrong...

Hope the lads are ok, now for me the annoying thing is the fact the MoD still continue to pay out for a recovery contract when we have the tools to do this ourselves ie MAN SVR and the manpower available who are more than capable. What a waste of cash and resources.

Hope the lads are ok, now for me the annoying thing is the fact the MoD still continue to pay out for a recovery contract when we have the tools to do this ourselves ie MAN SVR and the manpower available who are more than capable. What a waste of cash and resources.

I will agree there, i know of one case a certain LSR had a mmlc recovered by civilian contract, well it got back to their yard and the LSR forgot about it. untill a fair few months later the company kindly posted a rather large bill for collection and storage fee's.

And they wonder where all the taxes go eh.

One Hundred percent agree although the private contractors dont get fat out of it i bet the AA do thats who handle all these call outs

• 1 month later...

looks like i have wasted my money on good kit and training courses.

£1.99 shackle cheap kenetic rope and ingnorance seems to be the answer to recovery problems.

Did laugh at the sage advise from well meaning spectator "Stand back it'll take yer head head off" while moving in closer for a better shot.

yeah i agree and how so easy they could have been laughing all the way to A&E.

But it is a good video in that gives anybody with an ounce of intelligence some insight of the forces involved moreso when moving on to bigger vehicles that multiply those forces by tens of times.

Lets face it it had the lot people stood over the top of flaying winch ropes.

People stood within gob smacking distance of breaking nylon straps

Know all spectators encouraging TOMMY with his disco to give it it some.

No damage done apart from TOMMYS towbar being bent and a load of cheap easily replacable kit getting trashed.

I laughed all the way through

if i see that in real life, i am out of there.

recovery aint a game and can kill, mutilate when gear fails.

i been thought that the first rule of safety is knowing what your doing..

time for military recovery field day?

i like to learn new tricks and skills from people who know.

yeah i agree and how so easy they could have been laughing all the way to A&E.

But it is a good video in that gives anybody with an ounce of intelligence some insight of the forces involved moreso when moving on to bigger vehicles that multiply those forces by tens of times.

Lets face it it had the lot people stood over the top of flaying winch ropes.

People stood within gob smacking distance of breaking nylon straps

Know all spectators encouraging TOMMY with his disco to give it it some.

No damage done apart from TOMMYS towbar being bent and a load of cheap easily replacable kit getting trashed.

I laughed all the way through

yes we see it all the time, when i take my big trucks out to play the most fun is had removing landys stuck in the deep doggy doo doo. But I am using heavier duty equipment and it moves these things easily...however I once used a 12 ton rope, on a landy stuck in the mud it broke instantly.... good quality strops are unbelievabley strong at times...and have only seen a few of those really cheap ones fail...