Recovery and Towing

Tony B

• Replies 996
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a track at 90 degrees to the tractor unit - it might be tempting to pull the unit across the road but the chances are that the pivot of the 5th wheel plate would then allow the trailer to lean further over as the angle of the unit to trailer increased to 90 degrees - it is only the rigidity of the 5th wheel laterally that is preventing the trailer from toppling as it is.

No, I think for the sake of an hour or so of hard graft I'd pull most of the load off and do it the same way :sweat::sweat::sweat:

There is a track at 90 degrees to the tractor unit - it might be tempting to pull the unit across the road but the chances are that the pivot of the 5th wheel plate would then allow the trailer to lean further over as the angle of the unit to trailer increased to 90 degrees - it is only the rigidity of the 5th wheel laterally that is preventing the trailer from toppling as it is.

No, I think for the sake of an hour or so of hard graft I'd pull most of the load off and do it the same way :sweat::sweat::sweat:

Getting close to what i am thinking

Take the trailer off the the towing truck and turn it round, connect a girt big kinetic rope, back up, wheel spin away in a high gear...the casualty should pop out leaving it's load suspended in the air Road Runner style....what could possibly go wrong..:trustme:

I think this vidio clip is ideal to have a friendly competition with. Hows about ideas if the job could have been done with what was available on the video. Plus how it would have been used. It would all be theory of course as none of us where there and could not have the full picture. I think it was possible and post my ideas if any body else has a go.
I wonder if attaching the knicker elastic to the rear of the tractor unit under the fifth wheel and then pulling the whole lot backwards and sideways at 45 degrees would do the job....Not sure if there would be sufficent traction or strength in the knicker elastic to drag the the rear wheels of the tractor unit sideways back on to the road though...

• 3 weeks later...

Lucky man when the rope went you see the rear beam of the trailer hanging off if that had of gone through his screen it would have been over. Not sure why they were letting stuff drive through the hole couldnt the cat have pulled the truck and trailer onto its wheels?

Interesting, but not surprising, to see that the overturned tractor unit was a 6x6. Any idea why it should have fallen over in the first place? Good point re the hole. Why didn't the Cat just fill it in?

John.

Couldn't really fill that in. It looks to me like that is tundra - type stuff, frozen solid in the winter to quite a depth, but basically mud with a solid crust. When you go though that crust you are into saturated mud and all the filling in the world won't really help. Standard practice is to build it up by layering on top of it with branches and so on.

In that position you'd really need to spread all the weights out over a huge flotation area before you could achieve much. Or since it's in Russia you could wait five days till it was winter and then chisel it out of the frozen surface.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...