Land Rover versus WW2 Jeep

Yep, the 80” with the 1600 cc could give the jeep a good run for its money and I’ll bet a few more miles on a tank of petrol. I do miss my S1. Defender’s ok but it’s a big complicated lump. Never driven a jeep.

Peter

2 hours ago, 7VHU said:

Yep, the 80” with the 1600 cc could give the jeep a good run for its money and I’ll bet a few more miles on a tank of petrol. I do miss my S1. Defender’s ok but it’s a big complicated lump. Never driven a jeep.

Peter

Me neither, though I was an ardent fan of off-roading back in the 'eighties with both short & long WB Land Rovers. Best was, believe it or not, a S3 109 safari with the (now rare) straight 6 .. amazing torque at low revs.

3 hours ago, 7VHU said:

Peter

You sit on a Rover , you sit in a Jeep  (and Champ).

1 hour ago, wally dugan said:

YOU bounce in a jeep and land - rover you glide in a champ

Drove Champs back in the 'sixties when I was on the night shift for a 'well known' security organisation. The petroleum industry customer used to have a couple of these vehicles for site perimeter patrols (8 miles)

I remembered how comfortable they were when I started owning/driving Land Rovers a few years later 😉

The Champs ability to provide a stable gun platform whilst off road was it's undoing, as squadies could abuse the vehicle in a way that wasn't possible with a LR if they wanted to remain in control of it.

6 hours ago, wally dugan said:

YOU bounce in a jeep and land - rover you glide in a champ

And even with the 'torque reaction spring upgrade'  - the Jeep still bounced in the ditch.  Even with the supposed never resolved transmission problems , I still rate the Champ the best of the three - shame about body corrosion , however that seemed not a problem during service life.  Champ - forgetting the £ cost obviously.

21 minutes ago, ruxy said:

And even with the 'torque reaction spring upgrade'  - the Jeep still bounced in the ditch.  Even with the supposed never resolved transmission problems , I still rate the Champ the best of the three - shame about body corrosion , however that seemed not a problem during service life.  Champ - forgetting the £ cost obviously.

The cost of developing the Champ was, I believe, born by the M.O.S & by definition the public purse, unlike the LR that was a private enterprise.

Comparing body corrosion with LR's (pundits used to say ''they are made of alloy, so they don't rust'' .. yeah right) would make an interesting bar-room discussion.

War Booty or 'reparations'  -  there was a difference.

I came actoss something interesting in a book -  The Paperclip Conspiracy  by Tom Bower  1987  (from page 185)  , however this info. needs further research - concerning a new Jeep Plant proposed for County Durham.

QUOTE.  The first delegation of motor engineers , led by H.E. Merritt of the Nuffield Organisation, in the summer of 1946, reported that the VW's machine tools 'contains a nucleus of the greatest value to the British Motor Industry and we strongly recommend that bids ...  be entered on behalf of Great Britain'.  Merritt wanted the machinery to equip a new jeep plant in County Durham, but his plan was blocked by the Commissionwho ordered a four-year freeze, until 1949, on any removals.

----------------------

The Commission was the Control Commision  - who used many thousands of VW Beetles within Germany.  The British Army - a major had got Wolfsburg back into production.    

So the question(s)   -  was this the line for production of the Kublewagen & Schwimmwagen ? that would be shifted to Co. Durham  ?    Or was H.E. Merritt interested in machine tools & presses to start up production in U.K. of a Willys MBV   /  Ford  GPW   ?  after obtaining a build license / sets of tooling  ?

-----------------------

Dr. H.E. Merritt ( originally a designer for David Brown Tractors)  was involved with the Nuffield Universal tractor production -  former Wolseley car factory at B'ham.   This was a post WW2 recovery programme for industry/employment.

It does seem this Jeep project was based on some fact(s) and the author Tom Bower was not mistaken , of course even then Jeep was a  'generic' term for any light 4x4  , so it could have been a totally new Jeep and well prior to the Wilks Bros.  excluse BIG idea  ?

On 5/27/2024 at 1:20 AM, goanna said:

What an interesting couple of videos.  It seems almost sacrilegious to be treating such vehicles in that way - but then, they weren't nearly 80 years old when the film was made!  I thought the Land Rover did well and the Champ's performance in Australia seemed exceptional and certainly the drivers seemed to be enjoying themsleves.  What a shame the Humber was less impressive.

But, what a time you chose to put up a cross-country video of a Land Rover - I've just had to sell mine, much to my dismay, as I can't manage the pedals safely any more due to a dodgy hip!  So first, and last photos of it on this forum by way of farewell!IMG_3368.thumb.JPG.450585fb0e34d55ebebfa2ebcaf4ba7f.JPGIMG_3472.thumb.JPG.41fa8a5cda9fbace3364e0926a594743.JPG

• Like 1

6 hours ago, norseman 02 said:

Sorry to hear that, any hopes that the hip could be helped by surgery?

I've had both knees replaced, but not needed a hip (yet)

Thanks for that.  I've had both hips replaced but one has been playing up - jumped out a few times which made me wince I can tell you!  There are plans to have a look at what's going on with it next month, actually, but, after a year without driving at all, it seemed best to let it go to someone who will use it.  I hope to be able to manage an automatic or something with plenty of leg room, but I can't manage to lift my foot from the acelerator to the brake  on the Land Rover as it's too large a movement and that's not a brilliant situation to be in on the road!  But, I enjoyed it while I had it and the rebuild was probably the best part anyway.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...

The Jeep plant in the UK,

the Kublewaggon was the better performer than the jeep, the Wartime exchange rate being 2 Jeeps for one Kulbel,

and offered a lot more protection.So maybe that was the hold up?

I did some scary things in my Old 1950 SI, great for farm work, could jump in and out of hedges, grind barley, ted a field, I had a lightweight,

it just ploughed into the ground rather than skimming along the top , series II were too wide for the hedge maneuverers

best