Recovery and Towing

Tony B

• Replies 996
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok the Acmat has a nice winch on it and unladen at 4500kg and loaded 6500kg

What rating snatch block should I be looking for?

So much easier with a Land Rover, you buy it in the set :D

The winch will be specced up with a rope that is the rightsize for the job what you need is a block with a pulley to suit the rope. I dont know the actual size of winch and rope fitted on an Acmat but i will take a guess at 12mm rope therefore i would suggest the 4.5 inch diameter one of the type shown on this site but not specifically of this make there are a lot now made on the asian market that retail in UK for around £20 and will stand all the stick you can give them. Steer clear of the cheap ones consisting of two side plates and a pully held in by circlips they may hold the weight but they are a bit Mickey Mouse www.recovery-equipment.co.uk

The winch will be specced up with a rope that is the rightsize for the job what you need is a block with a pulley to suit the rope. I dont know the actual size of winch and rope fitted on an Acmat but i will take a guess at 12mm rope therefore i would suggest the 4.5 inch diameter one of the type shown on this site but not specifically of this make there are a lot now made on the asian market that retail in UK for around £20 and will stand all the stick you can give them. Steer clear of the cheap ones consisting of two side plates and a pully held in by circlips they may hold the weight but they are a bit Mickey Mouse www.recovery-equipment.co.uk

:thanx: that's a useful site. I was going to keep an eye out at Withams but may as well get one of these.

If money permits I have to pick up 2 tirfors with rope whilst in the UK also (One for me and one for a mate). Hopefully Withams will have a tender that week.

I have just become the owner of a Matador converted to a bus recovery lorry. (Once it's safely at home I'll post pictures in the vehicle forum).

It has the original chassis winch and a Harvey Frost crane and bolted to the bed of the lorry is this thing:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]79318[/ATTACH]

The flange at the base has a circle of bolt-holes and it's about 5 feet long.

I can't think where on a casualty vehicle it would fit apart from bolting to a wheel hub.

Anybody know what it's for?

Paul

You could have solved it. It would be a neat trick to lift a bus by simply bolting this gizmo to the drive hub, and the gizmo would give a good clearance between crane and side of bus. I could imagine it might have been not uncommon for buses to lose their wheels, and this would be a quick way to get the axle off the ground and some packing underneath.

Edit: After a coffee and a think :coffee:, I'm not so sure. The gizmo holes look right for 10 stud wheels, not the drive shaft flange of a hub, so it would not be easy to get onto an axle with collapsed wheels. Pulling a bus sideways maybe??

Edited by N.O.S.

Almost ....

How about a tool for pulling out reluctant driveshafts / halfshafts on a disabled vehicle to allow it to be towed on its wheels after, say, a transmission, differential or even halfshaft failure?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]79318[/ATTACH]

The flange at the base has a circle of bolt-holes and it's about 5 feet long.

I can't think where on a casualty vehicle it would fit apart from bolting to a wheel hub.

Anybody know what it's for?

Paul

Oh, so you don't bolt it to your wheel for a bit of motorway mayhem, then?

I wonder why it is so long. Is it to allow a wheel to be slid out to give you access to something? Or to allow a wheel to be fitted if one has gone astray?

Considering most buses are auto. It is usual practice to take the half shaft out before lift towing, and following gallons of oil everywhere, now putting a blnking plate on. I know an ex LT Matador recovery truck, has a brass plate in the cab saying 'Do Not Park on Manhole Covers'. :-D

You could have solved it. It would be a neat trick to lift a bus by simply bolting this gizmo to the drive hub, and the gizmo would give a good clearance between crane and side of bus. I could imagine it might have been not uncommon for buses to lose their wheels, and this would be a quick way to get the axle off the ground and some packing underneath.

Edit: After a coffee and a think :coffee:, I'm not so sure. The gizmo holes look right for 10 stud wheels, not the drive shaft flange of a hub, so it would not be easy to get onto an axle with collapsed wheels. Pulling a bus sideways maybe??

i think you are nearly there bolt on to halfshaft flange to gain extra leverage when righting a double decker ?????

Maybe it's the anchor! you bolt it to a drain cover then hook the winch cable to it as anti theft measure.

The flange is at least 20 inches across, is this a bit big for half-shafts? Also, the construction from many thin steel strips is odd, is it meant to be a bit springy?

I did find this picture of a fallen bus being righted with a beam in the centre of the chassis:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]79324[/ATTACH]

I'm still open to suggestions, I bet I kick myself for not thinking of it when somebody provides the definitive answer