Recovery and Towing

Tony B

• Replies 996
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

I posted this video not for is shock horror effect although it has plenty of that.

But because it hammers home a couple of points i have mentioned in previous postings.

This was an extreme example but it shows how some well meant help without observing a few basic facts can soon turn into a disaster.

Will elaborate more in next post

Recovery driver did one thing right ! Abandon ship ! Hope the other driver was lucky and survived !

BBC website suggested he was injured but survived which is quite amazing when you think what he went down. To my untrained eye it appeeared that the recovery driver was moving out to the right to negotiate a left hand bend but went too far?

I think there were three important factors why this recovery went wrong and this could happen to anybody even helping a mate out if they are missed or ignored.

Many posts ago I asked if any body noticed how easy it was to slide a vehicle sideways on ice saying how we attached to vehicles on the wheels and used it to advantage. But like a lot of things in recovery it can also work against you in this case ice and the camber of the road caused the whole lot to go out of control. Remember it need not be ice but a slightly steeper slope and wet grass or gravel will have the same effect. It takes very little to hold a vehicle but once they start to slide your on a loser.

When I did one of the posts on winching I mentioned make sure you know which direction the casualty is going when winching from the front forget the steering wheels the vehicle will go in the direction of pull. If you watch the video taken from the front the casualty lurches to the edge even though the wheels are steering away. This is because it has been hooked up at the wrong side towing eye and it had no option but to go that way.

Thirdly and this is the one that makes me cringe is down right equipment abuse. You have there approx £200,000 worth of wrecker with two winches rated at least 25tons cap and two stiff legs/spades 6 braked wheel stations. Bouncing about yucking and riving on on a glass like surface trying to drive. The winch ropes were hung on why not winch in slowly at least until the casualty is in a safer position then he could have tried the macho cowboy display. So what I am trying to get over is if it had been winched even hooked to the wrong side at least it would have given more time to stop when things started to get out of hand.

If you have a winch on a vehicle it’s a lot more stable platform for recovery parked up with all its wheels locked than bouncing about trying to drive. Plus you are not putting shock loads on the winch and rope

It appears obvious that the recovery guy coupled to the wrong towing eye and then pulled him to the extreme right side of the road, given the slippy conditions the guy being towed had no control what so ever and was destined to go over the side. A combination of very basic mistakes......... no knowing if he would have gone over anyway given the prevailing conditions. Am I correct in thinking that they drive on the right ?, if so he (Recovery man) was not trying to take a wide sweep around the bend, but more likely trying to avoid a head on collision with something approaching around the bend ???

If the guy being recovered had engine power and drive, then a natural inclination is to rev hard to try to get away from the edge, that would only exacipate matters and increase the side slip...... they were both very lucky to get away with their lives.

It appears obvious that the recovery guy coupled to the wrong towing eye and then pulled him to the extreme right side of the road, given the slippy conditions the guy being towed had no control what so ever and was destined to go over the side. A combination of very basic mistakes......... no knowing if he would have gone over anyway given the prevailing conditions. Am I correct in thinking that they drive on the right ?, if so he (Recovery man) was not trying to take a wide sweep around the bend, but more likely trying to avoid a head on collision with something approaching around the bend ???

If the guy being recovered had engine power and drive, then a natural inclination is to rev hard to try to get away from the edge, that would only exacipate matters and increase the side slip...... they were both very lucky to get away with their lives.

Think you have summed it up spot on Big ray its all common sense. At no time in my posts have i ever discouraged any body from helping any body out of a tight spot. Only to spend as much time thinking it through as doing the job. Of course something,s happen and one does things by reaction and gets away with it. But this guy was being paid by the hour. All over the world at all times similar cockups will occur but we dont hear about them. Just trying to slam home how easy a little good will can create big problems. A little thought can save a lot of grief Saving grace is on this job no life was lost

Lets face it towing and recovery is either a job you like or a pain in the bum but i think even the most seasoned recovery addict would get worn down working in these conditions day after day to keep in topic there are lots of military vehicles in video

Edited by cosrec

I was talking to a lorry driver I know, and he and two other lorries with lowloader trailers, travelled up that same mountain road a few days earlier than that incident, on their way with equipment to Narvik in Norway. Apparantly the conditions were exceptionally bad, even the locals saying so. One time he could not get up a hill and had to reverse 4kms to get a run up, and once over the top had to keep momentum for the next upgrade. They did require a recovery at one point and it was a much bigger recovery vehicle than that in the incident filmed, an 8 wheeler with Boniface recovery gear.

I was talking to a lorry driver I know, and he and two other lorries with lowloader trailers, travelled up that same mountain road a few days earlier than that incident, on their way with equipment to Narvik in Norway. Apparantly the conditions were exceptionally bad, even the locals saying so. One time he could not get up a hill and had to reverse 4kms to get a run up, and once over the top had to keep momentum for the next upgrade. They did require a recovery at one point and it was a much bigger recovery vehicle than that in the incident filmed, an 8 wheeler with Boniface recovery gear.

Reinforces what i have said truck drivers done their job got in to trouble called out some one to help them. Somebody comes thinks it through job sorted. Some body on a macho trip or lack of understanding. which category would you put it in. Honestly if recovery driver had said no too risky or leave it while while summer no body would have thought a lot worse of him. After all he at that time is the one the paying the piper. The only thing hurt would have been his pride when some body sneaked in after him and did the job But it is an in built thing in some people not to give up and is a GOOD trait in people who do recovery to have it. But mixed with lack of the basic understanding its DANGEROUS.

Sorry but cannot give any defence for the guy driving the recovery truck other than he was unlucky in that it happens day in day out all over the world and does not get caught on video his episode did

Edited by cosrec

• 1 month later...

found this an interesting video

yeah (glad I liked the music too at 12minutes :-D)

the excavators take on an animated-like presence at that speed

apparently there is some plant at the bottom of the big lake on Hassocks Golf Course, Sussex, possibly another excavator, if stuck and abandoned during the clubs original build in early 90's

Finally have something to add. This was at the Laughton Spring Cuckoo Fayre steam and vintage vehicle show. One of the classic tractor owners decided to take his exhibit for a spin around the lake and found the gap between the Indians (Native Americans) :) tents and the pond edge a bit too tight :-D

While watching the recovery, we've never been surrounded by so many experts offering their views that the crane had no chance of lifting it.

Attaching the lifting straps :-

[video=youtube_share;Bzfpgit2CpY]