Recovery and Towing

Tony B

Dear Gritineye,

when you say "brake reaction lever" to what do you refer?

If we were to pull one Bedford MK with another how would that work?

R

Not sure about MKs Robin, but when Scammell Explorers and most other heavy military tractors/wreckers brakes are connected to a towed vehicle or one or more trailers, or a double headed train, the combined braking system automatically applies the rearmost vehicles brakes first, so all vehicles in a train are braked in sequence from the rear, controlled by the front drivers foot,... dashed clever stuff!

The hand reaction valve only applies the trailer/towed vehicle brakes but not the wreckers, useful in many ways apart from saving one set of cool brakes, 50s drum brakes can fade like hell!

• Replies 996
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So we all agree it’s a good idea to get some air in to the vehicle being towed. But we have a little problem. Awhile ago some bureaucrat decided they would introduce a law that says in so many words it is illegal to interfere with the braking system of vehicle and to make it operate except at points put there by the manufacturer for that purpose. Hopefully someone on here will tell us the correct wording.

Now I am basically a law abiding citizen so I thought hard about this. This is my take on it. If I introduce air in to the tanks of a disabled vehicle I am not making the braking system work just giving it the means to do so. So I can put air into the tanks by what ever method. As it happens lots of even relatively old vehicles have test points which you can screw on to with an adaptor and fill the tanks up. Failing that remember those airlines I wrote about earlier if you split the female connector and palm and screw the female into the tank drain tap on the first tank after the compressor it will fit in about 90% of cases there is always a way of getting air in some how. So if nothing else the driver of the towed vehicle can at least stop the vehicle he is steering by pressing the brake pedal.

But I think the driver of the towed vehicle has enough to think about with out operating the brakes if he is struggling with no power steering and fretting about where the towing driver is going next.

So if I was towing any distance I would be willing to split a pipe and connect into the feed for the back bogie and join on to with the yellow service line somehow. I think I could stand the wrath of a magistrate giving me a dressing down after I explained it was matter of mine and public safety. If nothing else I would feel happier towing it and have peace of mind knowing I had done the best I could to make the operation as safe as I could.

Moved on a little with my project today did first tentative lift with it today so just some body work to fit and taking for proof loading and she can have her coat of paint. Then she will be available for work[ATTACH=CONFIG]45078[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]45079[/ATTACH]

• 4 weeks later...

A little tester for my project today Had this to move 3 out of four wheels locked solid. All up weight in excess of 60 tons by applying plenty of lift as winching it came fairly easily. Certainly gave the hydraulic connections and rear legs a good hammering. The Aircraft tug is being cut up so if you have a use for A massive Deutch V12 aircooled engine or four wheels and tyres like new the same as fitted to the large mobile cranes let me know.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]46219[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]46220[/ATTACH]

• 1 month later...

Painter sent me a picture of my project. Think this should answer LoggyDrivers question from a long time about what colour its going to be. Unfortunately she is of to a new home when paintings finished. While try and get some better photos before it goes

[ATTACH=CONFIG]48189[/ATTACH]

• 2 weeks later...

when I was a recovery mechanic a long time ago, I seam to remember we always towed with an A frame or a tee bar, very rarely with a straight bar only for pulling things about. there were two air hoses that that connected between one scammell and the other for brakes and steering.

• 3 weeks later...

sad to say Scammell has gone to a new home just wish i had time to give it a good work out before it went Good thing is its gone to a well known scammell fan who is also a very professional recovery operator who will look after it and make sure it it gets worked to its maximum As a stop gap i have got a foden EKA to replace it this is just being started on today first job is to put a different cab on it ( cabs damaged and been left open to elements) and get it all running right. Next thing i will try and reduce its top heavy wieght and try and do something with that stupid underlift to make it more usefull in civillian life

Edited by cosrec

My mate Bill has just done exactly the same thing as you. His was slightly better nick to start with than yours but he also fitted a new cab. Have you got the remote boxes with it? He has two Fodens now and uses them for general work. I've seen him with busses and all sorts on suspend tow with them. They are a tad top heavy but so are most off road worthy recovery trucks. I hope you enjoy this beast to the max. If you want his web site address is http://hesletonrecovery.co.uk/default.aspx He should be able to offer some advice if you need it. Dont worry if he sounds off with you on the phone he's not good on telephones. A top bloke with two sons in the REME i think.

To be fair when i bought the truck it didnt look as bad as it does now. it had been robbed of various bits and pieces eg props rear spring pots clutch slave. the cab was u/s been open to the elements and was full of sand all controls and switches had siezed to the piont were they snapped when trying to use. rear wings where bent beyond repair. So i have stripped of all the bad bits and that is the piont i am at now what remains is actually in very good condition. The engine struck up first crank when starter was shorted out and sounded very good. Have sourced all the parts i need to make good again just hope its got no major problems yet to befound with crane or transmission side.

No i havnt got the remotes with it but not two worried i have a supplier who does radio remotes at right money.

As i go along with this project i will be trying to make it more useful in civillian life eg the under lift will be independant of the top boom and have longer reach. Also i will be taking every chance i can to remove wieght from up top but i know this is limited.

Well good luck, Do keep us posted every interesting step of the way with plenty of pictures. As i said before its my dream truck so i will be glued to your restoration. Could you start a restoration blog on it for us? And if you do get stuck i could have a word with Bill and sort of pre warn him so he knows what your about. Like yourself he has built many recovery units and has two of these Fodens Again, ...May the force be with you:)

• 2 months later...

I'm not a professional recovery man but I did guess what the outcome of this attempt would be ! :blush: Something went wrong...

They just didn't have enough people wandering around as the truck was pulled over. that one bloke had to rush round and jump on both recovery trucks and he had to walk past both winch cables on his own....Now if all those people that appeared after had been there before, they could have positioned themselves under the trailer to slow its decent. also need to get some more smoke and fumes from the knackerd engine just to help your eyes run a bit more......

I'm not a professional recovery man but I did guess what the outcome of this attempt would be ! :blush: Something went wrong...
. Thanks for them two clips i have not seen them before. Both pose some questions to me. The first one why did it do a secondary roll. On level ground that should not have gone over with out the top cars on. I think the vidio has the clues. Looking at i think it has been winched over on a fairly steep incline it is certainly down hill to the artic in the back ground. The thing that gave it the momentem to completly go over if you look at the 4*4 in the back of the trailer it is not fastened down and right when the whole lot is at its most vunrable it slides and whacks in to the upright sending it on its way.

The second vidio is more of a puzzle why did it go bang. looking at the vidio there is no obvious source of ignition there. that pionts to something to do with the actual recovery. if you look it is being recovered by the hiab arm on the recovery vehicle it is being used in a very unusual way. the arm is folded down and being used to draw the overturned tanker towards it via some chains. Now you might say iam crazy but looking at the vidieo ithink they have attached the chains to the discharge pipes on the tank. At around 11 sec the arm seems to be still moving but the tanker momenteraly stops there then appears to be a sudden gush of fluid from underneath tank. the fire starts there and shoots round the tank and ignites the vapour in the tank and bang. It a poor quality vidieo and i dont know how to slow down U tube vidieo but thats my theory any one else any ideas

Edited by cosrec

Hi Cosrec. I was intrigued and studied this too by stepping the fiim through the explosion. There is surely a gusher under the tanker immediately before the explosion. If you are right about ignition then why did this 'gusher' not go up in flames as well? Right through the explosion and aftermath the underside of the tanker seems to be free of fire? There must have been some fuel (petrol or 'gas' in the US) left in the tank - look what happened to the trees/road on the left. Could the gusher have been diesel? It is puzzling. Robert.

Hi Cosrec. I was intrigued and studied this too by stepping the fiim through the explosion. There is surely a gusher under the tanker immediately before the explosion. If you are right about ignition then why did this 'gusher' not go up in flames as well? Right through the explosion and aftermath the underside of the tanker seems to be free of fire? There must have been some fuel (petrol or 'gas' in the US) left in the tank - look what happened to the trees/road on the left. Could the gusher have been diesel? It is puzzling. Robert.

At the begining of vidio i noticed something moving to left of tanker at first i thought that the tanker was hooked on to an electrical line or something. but i decided it was just foilage getting blown about by strong wind. The flames dont seem to have enough smoke for fuel oil or petrol. so maybe its a more volatile alchohol fuel it is in Brazil. the strong wind and up draft from fire maybe be drawing fumes away from what ever went on floor. The tanker was certainly carring liquid as its construction rules out liqufied pressurised gas To put it plainly i dont know but would like to find out.