Recovery and Towing

Tony B

Oh dear not again ! :red: Something went wrong...

Only driver to blame should not have had body in the air when going down motorway Sorry about that just relised commented on video that appears after above one finishes.

Edited by cosrec

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 996
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I say it is a Leyland Martian

Look again its got twin rear wheels but i am been unfair as i know your half right

its a scammell crusader with martian gear there is another video on you tube of same truck winching an mt 8 wheeler out of soft to be honest the crew seem to be making a meal of that job as well

Edited by cosrec

Look again its got twin rear wheels but i am been unfair as i know your half right

its a scammell crusader with martian gear there is another video on you tube of same truck winching an mt 8 wheeler out of soft to be honest the crew seem to be making a meal of that job as well

Ah, it was the bodywork I looked at, now I do recollect seeing it in the other video, thanks!

Heres another video taken at scene not good quality but gives a better understanding of what they where doing and what lead to chain of events causing wrecker to flip. The manouvre is called an end roll and as long as wreckers are big enough capacity and have twin overhead winches it is a fairly safe procedure.

When i saw first video i thought a cable broke but after seeing this video i can see a pully block in the rigging so that side of it was rigged correctly. So it must have been the chain looped into the eye of the container thats gone. down to selecting right tackle i guess.

Towing Dingo/Ferret is a special one. If you are no careful you will break the gearbox when towing it. If you have to, take care the transfer case is in neural else you blow the gearbox. Although the Dingo and Ferret look small you can not push them a round, they are just to heavy.

The reason you will blow it, has to do that all special gears are running at full speed when you tow it, even when the box is in neutral. Because the box is in neutral the gearbox oil pump which is at the engine end is not working so there is no lubrication in the box when towed.

Peter Hommes

Owned Dingo's for over 18 years

http://www.milmarket.org

If you transporting a vehicle you often see people taking great care that it will not roll off on the back. How fast do you need to take off to get it rolling off? The thing to worry is when you have to make an emergence stop or you hit something and you stopped at once. Physics (1/2mv2 ) tells you that the amount of energy released at that moment is massive. If the Vehicle weights 1000 kilos the stress the robe(s) from the back has to take will access of 80 tons when you travel at 30 miles.

Incase you hit something and stopped at once, be more afraid what comes form the back. I have seen a JEEP coming through the driver cabin and stop only half way. Also the Jeep was shortened by 30 cm's (1 ft)

Happy pottering around in the MV's

Peter Hommes

Edited by monty2

If you transporting a vehicle you often see people taking great care that it will not roll off on the back. How fast do you need to take off to get it rolling off? The thing to worry is when you have to make an emergence stop or you hit something and you stopped at once. Physics (1/2mv2 ) tells you that the amount of energy released at that moment is massive. If the Vehicle weights 1000 kilos the stress the robe(s) from the back has to take will excite 60 tons.

Incase you hit something and stopped at once, be more afraid what comes form the back. I have seen a JEEP coming through the driver cabin and stop only half way. Also the Jeep was shortened by 30 cm's (1 ft)

Happy pottering around in the MV's

Peter Hommes

As I often have a 25 ton machine behind me on rubber tracks on the low loader it makes me think about how many chains to put on it to keep it there!!

As I often have a 25 ton machine behind me on rubber tracks on the low loader it makes me think about how many chains to put on it to keep it there!!

well I do know but take 0,5 x 25 ton * ( m/s )^2 = at 30 mph it is 0,5 * 25.000 * (48000m/3600 sec)^2 = 0,5 * 25000* (13,3)^2 = 2200 ton of kinetic energy is released if stopped at once.

When you strap it real tied, with no slack at all on the chains it may hold, but if there is a little speed build up any chain will snap. I suggest you take some serious chains, not one that holds the dog.

Peter

well I do know but take 0,5 x 25 ton * ( m/s )^2 = at 30 mph it is 0,5 * 25.000 * (48000m/3600 sec)^2 = 0,5 * 25000* (13,3)^2 = 2200 ton of kinetic energy is released if stopped at once.

When you strap it real tied, with no slack at all on the chains it may hold, but if there is a little speed build up any chain will snap. I suggest you take some serious chains, not one that holds the dog.

Peter

yes I always have plenty of heavy chain on but it does make me wonder, always keep them tight as you say.

however when you take in your calculation perhaps I should go down to Portsmouth for some Anchor chain next time!

I am not doubting your figures in any way though.:-)

John,

not to worry, you will never been stopped in one go, so the energy will not be release all at once. In case you are stopped at once i don't think you have to worry any more what comes from the back.

But considering the calculations a always laugh when a see people taking great effort to prevent it from rolling off on the back but not much for stopping it come forward.

regards

Peter

• 2 weeks later...
John,

not to worry, you will never been stopped in one go, so the energy will not be release all at once. In case you are stopped at once i don't think you have to worry any more what comes from the back.

But considering the calculations a always laugh when a see people taking great effort to prevent it from rolling off on the back but not much for stopping it come forward.

regards

Peter

Absolutely, I am amazed at the times that I see the vehicle secured at the front of the trailer with a chain, and a rope fixed at the rear, I am of course refering to lighter vehicles, cars,Jeeps, etc.