Recovery and Towing

Tony B

....the excavators take on an animated-like presence at that speed...

They reminded me of the Scudders from Red Dwarf, scruffy!

I liked the way the digger disappeared every time the tension was released.:-X

Interesting use of timber rolls (forgotten the name) and also heavy tyres threaded onto the cables.

Hey, you don't suppose everyone stepped back before each pull because it is in fact true that winch cables can be dangerous, do you? :rolleyes:

• Replies 996
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

found this an interesting video

I am impressed with the way that this recovery was carried out, and I reckon that there is a lot that people can learn from careful study. Some very sensible practice.

I like the comment at the end "where's the next one"!

Thanks for posting.

crikey rather him than me, I know these things can do all sorts of tricks but I have also seen how easy they can go over...it does not take much...intriguing why he was on top of the silage heap and how he got up there...

yeah (glad I liked the music too at 12minutes :-D)

the excavators take on an animated-like presence at that speed

apparently there is some plant at the bottom of the big lake on Hassocks Golf Course, Sussex, possibly another excavator, if stuck and abandoned during the clubs original build in early 90's

If its any size the price of scrap nowadays would make it worth having a go at

They reminded me of the Scudders from Red Dwarf, scruffy!

I liked the way the digger disappeared every time the tension was released.:-X

Interesting use of timber rolls (forgotten the name) and also heavy tyres threaded onto the cables.

Hey, you don't suppose everyone stepped back before each pull because it is in fact true that winch cables can be dangerous, do you? :rolleyes:

When i first watched the video the first thing that struck me was the dicipline of everybody getting well out of the way exagerated by the fact the clip was speeded up. I guess the whole crew had perhaps seen the odd broken piece of kit at one time or another

Tyres and cables - job to tell if the cable was threaded through them all, I think some were but some were just laid on top or underneath. I've seen this done to take some energy out of the cable if it snaps. Your opinion on this, Cosrec?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gh1TprGoB1Q&feature=related

another one i think i would have had my fist up my bum driving this truck

I am suprised nobody has made any comments on this video. I think it shows really well i couple of pionts i stressed when giving tips on towing with a pole. I know its not a pole but a draw bar trailer but the principle is exactly the same..

Remember i said what could make things start to get scary

Braking when not in a straight line down hill slope slippery surface this clip has the lot.

The driver is obviously very experienced and has done this route or similar many times before and is going very slowly i believe he is relying on engine braking to hold him back. About 1/3 in to the clip and as he starts to turn the corner he decides to touch the brake. This is were it starts to go wrong. you will notice the truck slows slightly but the air has not yet started to brake the trailer this is were the trailer starts to push the rear of the truck around. Luckily this also has the effect of making the back of the trailer hit the roadside and slow the combination down enabling it to come to a complete stop. Believe me i would have been a very frightened man at the piont with that drop there

Tyres and cables - job to tell if the cable was threaded through them all, I think some were but some were just laid on top or underneath. I've seen this done to take some energy out of the cable if it snaps. Your opinion on this, Cosrec?

I think its a good idea moreso on a big job like that with so many personel on site plus crowds watching.

In the scale of things on that job it will taken no time to rig up

Plus it never hurts to just make that little extra effort to lessen the effects of what you hope will never happen anyway

Another example of near disaster only prevented by luck ! Something went wrong...

Wow, that looked particularly dangerous. Was anyone else shouting "stand clear" at the screen and clutching their legs?

Not having used a kinetic rope before, are there any videos of their correct use? I'm guessing that wasn't it. I know the idea of how they work but not how much oomph you can give on each stretch.

that was a classic example of how not to use it,i have seen a very near miss doing it that way the whole tow hitch came off the stuck vehicle and straight through the recovering vehicles back window and out the windscreen narrowly missing the occupant inside,we have banned them from our driving days at the awdc

Edited by landyandy

In that case they were lucky, the bogged vehicle moved. I've seen the serious injury result of the bogged vehilce staying still, and the snatching vehicle being yanked over. The clown hit the gas, the snatching vehicle left the ground the rope yanked back and tipped the vehicle over. One dodgy bolt and there are several pounds of uncontrolled metal richocheting about.

Frightening

And there is me thinking you had to have a licence to be in possesion of a dangerous weapon

At least the £1.99 shackle was not mickey mouse it took all the stick they gave it

Edited by cosrec

If its any size the price of scrap nowadays would make it worth having a go at

i'd be there, to show some support and thread a few tyres

shame golf courses don't close for the winter ... seem to remember the lake is close to the back edge of the course - neighbouring farmer on board, hole in hedge - a HMVF w/e challenge - probably turn out to be a 3t dump truck (or a golf cart misadventure story told too many times) :-D

the driver in the second vid of the snowy hillside decent with timber trailer did make it look like it was nothing but looked like a bumpy old ride over the edge and down the slope!