W+P 2022 ?

Alan

4 hours ago, Richard Farrant said:

Having entered this show, every year from when it started in 1982 as an IMPS club display at Tenterden railway station, I feel it had lost its attraction at the last one in 2019 and vowed then, not to do it again. Many fellow members of IMPS and MVT used to go there and it was a good place to catch up, but in the last few shows at Beltring many faces are now missing. We had the best days when Rex was running it, it had good atmosphere in those days.

I have my thoughts on why this year's launch is so late ...

We have the memories, it was fun to plan and drive the old landies from Holland to the UK with all issues they threw at us at night. Boat crossing with a few that got sea sick In the harbour  and the weather disasters with following mud. 

Had fun in the arena, the RAF landy is owned by my wife. The next day she was by herself and I went in my dad's 109 IIa

onwards to better shows, thanks for all Rex. 

• Like 1

£125 a vehicle, current climate that is shocking. Also consider all the other costs involved in getting our vehicles there.

Without the vehicles and the enthusiasts who own and restore them what type of show do they have?

I cant see why you spite those that essentially bring in the paying public.

I did say a few years ago that the show was heading this way.
IMO, the current owner has looked at what mv's paid, and thought to himself 'I could get a caravan in that spot and charge 4 times the price'.
What he wants is a ww2 themed retro festival, with a few select mv's and loads of public campers.

Still plenty on FB defending the price hike though.

Like most people I am "under the Moon" about the new charges & my reaction like so many others is not to go.

The thing is I am in my mid 70s & I don't for how long I will be able to make or at least enjoy 500 mile round trips. So there is a temptation to swallow my pride & go while I am still able.

But I don't know this year quite what I will be going to, it certainly won't be the W&P events that we used to have. There will be fewer vehicles being brought because of the price rise coupled with the high cost of fuel. Not to mention our European friends & traders who find it too expensive, let alone cope with the hassle of trying to get a ferry & the issues of transporting ex-military items across the UK/EU borders.

Coupled with all that there may well be fewer traders & those who do decide to go will charge accordingly, so fewer bargains to be had.

In recent years I have been with a vintage wireless operating group. This was good as we had an area near the stalls & their was some good company. The group has split up, so I shall have to do my own thing. At most shows I like to do some Morse code operating & it draws a bit attention & curiosity. But as pitches get bagged for groups by an advance party, I fear I would only end up in a corner of a field cliking away unnoticed. 

So may well just give it a miss : (

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gordonb said:

I do not want to camp as I live within commuting distance of the Hop Farm. So £125 for someone else to make money from my MV, I think not.

Ditto, some years I’d go and camp the week, with the family joining me for a time, others I’d be a day tripper and go home each evening / often returning for the night activities. 

I appreciate for many it was a cheap (ish) weeks holiday camping at what was the premier MV show in Europe, but with increased cost, the overall downturn in the show numbers of MVs (especially armour), stalls etc since the takeover and the rise of many other (free in many cases) shows it is less appealing. 

be interesting to see the build-up in the days before and if it looks promising attend as a MOP. I am sure the lure of it as it’s so near will be hard resist if only to pick up a bargain from stalls not selling anything !

As a member of the reenacting community they are now charging £20 fee for each reenactor to reenact at the show. So you have to pay them the privilege to lug your collection and vehicle to the show plus petrol at now inflated cost. Makes you wonder how much the Second Battle group and other large groups have to fork out per group with Vehicles as well. Look like most will be skipping this show seeking shows where they are appreciated to make their show. Victory show for me.

• Like 1

I think this is the final nail in the coffin. I  deferred my ticket but the lads that now have to pay £125 they are not prepared to also pay for the fuel getting there and back. Looks like I will be losing my £50 as I'm not going on my own. The owner has no interest in our hobby as such, just in making a massive profit. While I appreciate it must make a profit, he hasn't got the insight that if no vehicle's turn up, what's the point in the public turning up. I fear the show will crash this year and will be the end of an era. Sad, very sad.

16 minutes ago, BC312 said:

As a member of the reenacting community they are now charging £20 fee for each reenactor to reenact at the show. So you have to pay them the privilege to lug your collection and vehicle to the show plus petrol at now inflated cost. Makes you wonder how much the Second Battle group and other large groups have to fork out per group with Vehicles as well. Look like most will be skipping this show seeking shows where they are appreciated to make their show. Victory show for me.

Steve Pepper at the Victory Show has what it takes to put on and look after those that bring the vehicles to the event. Last year was awesome, 4 days of bliss. Another show which is great is the YWE Show, it's a long way for us to travel but worth it. We will be supporting our local shows instead of the W&P Show this year. Such a shame that greed has come between having and not having an amazing show. 

Think armour dropped of after Rex as he used to pick up and drop off your vehicle or pay a worthwhile contribution to you to get your armour there .

i would only consider taking my m10 if the show at least made a effort to contribute to transport .

good example over 15 tons ,tanks in town gave you to your costs €1500.

i know some tracked owners that will not go anywhere unless full costs are covered,so there is some nice stuff out there that we don't get to see .

does a show that has reenactments pay for all the blanks used as they can be quite a expense and the reenactments are what draws people in.

if not then I can see why £20 and you have to pay for your own blanks and camping would put you off🤔

Well I am going to chance my arm and ask for a refund, AGAIN!!! having been previously told in no uncertain terms that I would not be getting any refund as the dates were only proposed dates and my consumer rights had not been breached, now W&P have confirmed the dates that I can not attend let’s see what happens next !! 

• Like 1

On 4/29/2022 at 5:54 PM, Alan said:

I see Bruce Compton has been confirmed as a guest, I wonder if he’s getting paid to attend or their charging him the entrance 

Bruce maybe a guest, ...but I would bet He won't be bringing any of his vehicles

Edited by Nick Johns

Our group has attended since 1996
When you look at it the other way round, it seems different.
£.125 for 2 people and camping for 5 days is not that bad, £12.5 a day per person including free entertainment and facilities. Kids under age 15 go free. 
Could you go camping for that price anywhere else?  Have the prices gone up so much during the Covid period that £125 is "reasonable" I don't know. 
I see there are many vacant spaces in the stalls area - not a good sign or are traders hesitating and waiting on each other?  Foriegn traders have had all sorts of import/export problems put on them, so what is stopping the UK traders?  
Fuel prices also puts a stopper to many visitors, especially us that were prepared to drive 2 thousand kilometres in our Jeeps and trucks to take part. But that can't be blamed on the show organizers.
Sad there is no info under "what is on" unless the bands name is "pleas check back later"
Our group is still trying to find the means of getting to the show. 
Yes, it is the exhibitors that make up the show, is there no dialog between the show and the clubs? 
Hope people here can supply good info based on fact, not just on opinions. 🙂

Edited by Christian F.
  • Like 1

I have attended the W&P show as a once a year seller for more than 25x years, I’ve always considered it a holiday as well as making a little pocket money to put back into my hobby. The organisers rang me to see I would like my normal pitch, at a cost of £350, £100 more than normal and what would be considered a late bookers fee, I did mention when I tried to book last November to meet their 2022 deadline that they were closed, I was told that was unfortunate but if I wanted to come it would have to be at the £350 price, I politely declined. When I factor in the cost of a weeks van hire and fuel, that would now mean an outlay of over £600 before I even got to the show. I will miss going and everybody I know there but on the plus I get back 9x days of my life to go and do something else this year.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, garys39 said:

I have attended the W&P show as a once a year seller for more than 25x years, I’ve always considered it a holiday as well as making a little pocket money to put back into my hobby. The organisers rang me to see I would like my normal pitch, at a cost of £350, £100 more than normal and what would be considered a late bookers fee, I did mention when I tried to book last November to meet their 2022 deadline that they were closed, I was told that was unfortunate but if I wanted to come it would have to be at the £350 price, I politely declined. When I factor in the cost of a weeks van hire and fuel, that would now mean an outlay of over £600 before I even got to the show. I will miss going and everybody I know there but on the plus I get back 9x days of my life to go and do something else this year.

How can you be considered a late booking if you attempted to book as soon as it was possible to? I imagine if the trade bookings are slow,  they will get back you with a better offer. 

War and Peace used to be the no 1 show for large, rare vehicles, particularly armoured ones. The numbers of these at the show appear to have been declining over the years but it is difficult to be certain although armoured vehicles getting into the arena certainly greatly reduced between (say) 2014 and 2019. Query is, have any readers of this forum actually booked in any such vehicles yet for 2022? Do they intend to?

• Like 1

Our 1st time was in 2000 and attended every year since.

The last year or so there was enough space when we arrived showing less attendance.

But the incerase of the show price itself, more expensive fuel, probably more expensive Ferry and Brexit means we won't go.

Brexit itself makes it more difficult, can't bring food but even buying things in the UK may become a problem or hassle with customs. Guess to be safe we'd have to photograph all items we'd take from the Netherlands in case on return we might get charged for importing or exporting? Not sure if that's the case though but still something to research.

Come to think about it....best do that anyway when we go to A&E...🤔

• Like 1

5 hours ago, .303fan said:

Is the show cancelling those that oppose their views? Two screenshots, from both my Facebook accounts. Awww how sad. 

Screenshot_20220504-155118_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220504-155134_Facebook.jpg

I noticed earlier today that comments have been restricted (either turned off altogether or just a selected few people) on the Facebook page. 

On 4/2/2022 at 9:17 AM, Ron said:

I seem to remember, when Rex fell out with the Hop Farm and moved to Folkstone, he added the "revival" Maybe there is some legal implication regarding that change in name? However, I'll do my best to speak to or visit John over the weekend.

Ron

Didn't the Hopfarm own the War and Peace name? I have memories of that. 

Todays announcement from W+P - over 200 vehicles booked in - anyone remember what they used to have ? Can’t get to my old programmes now.

I see if you enter as a MOP on the day it’s £30, only £25 if you pre book.