W+P 2022 ?

Alan

I am sure someone will organise a new 5 day military show again. Maybe a new name, maybe a new venue. 

The original show was too good to miss for exhibitors, stallholders and guests alike.  It is hard to get people to part with their money, but so long as you get value for money, all parties will attend. 

The above sounds as if the W&P 2023 show has been put to rest for ever, but reading these pages suggests, that the current organisers have made a mess of it and not handled the situation to top marks. 

County fairs and steam rallies etc. are good places to show military vehicles locally, but an international military show is exactly that and therefore has to be big to be "international" or else "international" won't come.  

Back to basics ? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ian J said:

Too true. It used to cost us $NZ3 to the GBP, These days the rate is around $2\GBP. 

We love the UK and W&P has been a real highlight of our holidays there.

Try other shows and then do the Tank Fest, i am sure it will make up the loss of going to W&P, get to see the rest of the country. W&P will never come back the trust is gone, have to move on, most vehicle owners and re enactors hobby don't revolve around one show. why would you go and support a show where you have to pay privilege to be there, cheeky buggers. As for an international show, i am sure one will rise from the others, its what you make of what you got, support these shows, let your feelings known before it gets out of hand so you dont end up with another W&P situation, quite simple, just talk to people.

• Like 1

If W& P happens in 2023 it will never be the same a lot of trust has been lost by  the present owners and once lost it is very hard  to regain it. l for one enjoyed the early days and gave me  like others the chance to meet  friends that  were from other parts    what ever happens at W&P there is no doubt that it will change yes the  die hard' s will still go . There many smaller event's that are a mixture of types of vehicles and good they are and l am sure some will grow

Edited by wally dugan

I am full favor of supporting smaller shows and I hope they grow to be "THE SHOW". 

Comeing from the continent, if you are going to fork out a lot of money to take a vehicle for a long distance, it has to be for a longer duration than 2 days. I guess same applies to traders. 
5 day shows also gives flexability for people to participate for shorter period that suits them. 

No doubt W&P trust has been lost by many. I for one will be very sceptical and read all small print in case they decide to try and retify 2022 failure and make W&P great again .... 😉 

1 hour ago, rambo1969 said:

TBH, it was going downhill when he run the show.

I dont think you will get much support for that view. The forced move to Folkestone was unfortunate but prior to that, the show that Rex put on got better every year, at least it did since 1995, first year I went.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, rambo1969 said:

TBH, it was going downhill when he run the show.

There were always going to be bones of Contention with W&P. However, it went STRIDES ahead under Rex's Guiding Hand. Sadly, the 'Present Owner'!!!  has all but Destroyed this once Magnificent show. & Lost the trust of Exhibitors & reenactors alike!  I for one, would LOVE Rex to come back into the fold. & Start another show in the vein of the Original W&P! .... But, that is NOT going to happen!....😔

Brexit may be a bit of a obstacle for the mainland Europeans. Especially if you want to buy or sell stuff

We went to A&E and back in France got checked quit a bit (delivery van).  I even got questioned again If I bought stuff because I had a bag with sets of uniform emblems. I explained those were sets because we didn't know what heavy vehicle we'd be on so the badges were brought to correctly portray the unit of the vehicle.

Thing is bringing or taking back goods can mean taxes and more hassle. Even bringing food and drinks would cost.

For a trader its a lot of extra administration which might mean less mainland traders. So the old days size wise are unlikely. But it could still become a good and big show if new management or a similar show would be organised.

On 8/11/2022 at 7:19 PM, John Pearson said:

I dont think you will get much support for that view. The forced move to Folkestone was unfortunate but prior to that, the show that Rex put on got better every year, at least it did since 1995, first year I went.

The venue at Folkstone, STILL had another three years to run. On the five year contract Rex had put in place. When He sold the show to the , New Owners,

It was the ,New Owners, that decided to move back to Beltring, as they had negotiated a deal with the Hop Farm.

The racecourse venue at Folkstone was left alone for those three years. The last time I passed that venue. it was still untouched!.... We were informed that there were going to be houses built on the site of that particular venue. I dont know if this has even begun yet. But when I passed the venue approx a couple of years ago. nothing had been done at all. I dont know if this s still the case. But if so, there is an opportunity open to ,talk, to the present owners. and enquire if they would be open to using the site for shows again perhaps. Just a thought....

Balfour Beatty took over the whole of the racecourse for storage and the offices for proposed major road works and building in the area. 

They told the current lease holder to take it up with the Jockey Club, who replied that BB had made an offer they couldn't refuse and suggested he might like to take legal action........What would be the point of that against such giants.

I have no idea where the construction was taking place. Ron

49 minutes ago, matchlesswdg3 said:

The site is still green fields; they ran into planning permission problems - as usual, the developer wanted more houses than the council was prepared to allow.

Interesting!  which would mean. An approach by someone who wanted to establish a show with the original values & flavour. Of the ORIGINAL W&P Offering. Would be in a strong position to negotiate with the site owners. Utilising The original recipe of SOMETHING coming into the coffers. rather than NOTHING. is a simple Bussiness Decision to make, surely?..... Just a thought!...;)