WW1 Dennis truck find

Great War truck

How very refreshing to see youngsters being allowed to clamber over priceless exhibits... that young chap is really enjoying his history lesson..

attachment.php?attachmentid=44653

I bet he is saying, ''bet this doesn't go as fast as the Crossley'' ;)

Well done to the Goslings for getting there, and for a top notch restoration.

Whats next? the Thorny? or a Peerless?

IMG_0053.jpg

IMG_0054.jpg

These two photos show so much. Anticipation, Enjoyment and pleasure. It sums up the long hours to produce such an outstanding item and be successful on the first outing.

Well done.

Doug:-)

We had a lovely day - met so many friends as well which was even more "icing on the cake" for us. There were one or two exciting moments but generally, it was trouble free. Tim is preparing a full report with some pictures - he is at present heading for home in Oxford after spending the night here in Axminster and I guess he will do that before the day is over. Steve is still here - he returns to Leicester later today and we are now awaiting the return of the Dennis which is expected some time this morning. I think that I shall forget "lorries" for the moment and spend some time on all the other things that I have neglected during the last few weeks!

Tony

That's Tom ("Charawacky") and his son William who brought the Crossley.

Doh, and I did speak to Tom very briefly as they where leaving the seafront, but had not made the connection when I posted that, William can be seen in my Crossley video too..

Well what an amazing weekend that was!

The Dennis ran incredibly well considering we had only taken it out once before and then only for a mile, so doing the 50 miles to Brighton so easily was a real test which it passed with flying colours. We had to stop a couple of times on the way to make some checks and minor adjustments but none of the potential problems i had considered actually materialised. The emergency repairs to the radiator held and we lost hardly any water at all (we carried 17 gallons spare just in case) and the polyurethene tyres performed admirably and did not creep off the wheels (which was always a concern).

On this occasion there were five WW1 vehicles in the run which was a real get together and i cant think of any time when i have seen that number together. Sadly though they all shot off at different times so we did not get to travel in convoy. The FWD left before 6:00, and the Pierce Arrow not much later. We followed the Locomobile for a while:

IMG_5695.jpg

but managed to get past it at some traffic lights, only for it to overtake us a few miles down the road. The superfast crossley overtook us time after time:

IMG_5700.jpg

The roads were generally clear, but we did have to stop for traffic lights which always gave me the opportunity to jump out and take another photo:

IMG_5707.jpg

As we got into Brighton Chris G jumped out and using his powers stopped the traffic with just one hand:

IMG_5715.jpg

Great to see you there Chris. I had been looking out for you near the pylons and assumed that you had gone on to the sea front.

It was wonderful to see so many friends and I am sorry i did not get time to talk to you all. Thanks for uploading the photos and video footage though. Thats great.

There is a lot more to write about the weekend but i will put together the full story in a day or so. Tony and Steve still have the lorry to unload take teh canvas down and put away.

As for the winning of any prizes. Well .......

IMG_5774.jpg

we won best Dennis and 2nd in the military class.

Edited by Great War truck

Congratulations on a successful run - and good to see you all at Brighton. You should now know how accurate this is:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]44654[/ATTACH]

Best wishes, RF

I wonder which principle they were referring to. Great picture though, thanks.

Tim

The Dennis ran incredibly well considering we had only taken it out once before and then only for a mile, so doing the 50 miles to Brighton so easily was a real test which it passed with flying colours.

That sentence just sums up what a fantastic job you have carried out. The Dennis looks amazing.

Congratulations to all concerned on a stunning restoration.

Well done Chaps. A most impressive shakedown run. Far more adventurous than the gradually increasing trips round the village that I permit myself with a rebuild.

Still, what is there to go wrong with a ninety year old lorry ?

What's it like to drive compared with its contemporaries ?

I bet he is saying, ''bet this doesn't go as fast as the Crossley'' ;)

Well done to the Goslings for getting there, and for a top notch restoration.

Whats next? the Thorny? or a Peerless?

William was reading the starting instructions but unfortunately he could not reach the pedals otherwise the Dennis would be at our house by now or perhaps in the morning.

Great restoration

Tom

Thanks for all your positive comments chaps. Steve drove it the whole way there, but the impression was that it was a treat to drive in comparisson to the FWD which is very hard work and more comfortable than the Autocar which is a rather open to the elements.

The problem with the fuel tanks are that they are so big you need a lot of fuel to cover the bottom. If you go around a corner too fast the fuel goes to one end and the truck splutters to a stop. The new fuel is not good for the trucks. Too volatile we think and does not like it when the engine is hot.

Here is Grahams FWD at Brighton which had to be tow started (click on the picture):

th_MVI_5778.jpg

We have done Brighton four times previously. Twice with the WD Autocar, once with the tipper and once with the FWD. The Autocars have generally been trouble free although the FWD was awkward as it gets too hot. The Dennis proved hard to restart so we had to tow start that one as well (click on the picture):

th_MVI_5779.jpg

Tim, how does the worm and wheel like tow starts?

I know lads with Fordsons (also worm and bronze wheel) tell me it is a no no for fear of buggering the wheel.

I'm told a dash of engine oil lowers the fuel volatility, and can help. I had bother with my Austin 7 getting hot and vapourising the fuel. Fitting the correct carb solved the problem but the oil was going to be an option.

The new fuel is not good for the trucks. Too volatile we think and does not like it when the engine is hot.

That is what I thought. Some engines seem to run better on old petrol, where others will not start on it. I have some which is about 2-3 years old and Bedford and Austin engines start and run well on it. Maybe its lost it volatility.

Tim, how does the worm and wheel like tow starts?

I know lads with Fordsons (also worm and bronze wheel) tell me it is a no no for fear of buggering the wheel.

QUOTE]

Yes, we heard that too. But then someone else told us it is ok to tow start, but not tow. we dont intend to make a habit of it (hopefully).

Good point raised on the fuel. But i am not sure whether keeping a full 30 gallon tank would be an investment or a liability. What we need is an additive. I think paraffin was suggested previously on another thread.

Final update for today.

The Dennis arrived safely back in Devon this morning - courtesy of Roly and Timmy and was unloaded at the foot of the lane leading to Tony's house.

Although yesterday's run seem to "lighten" the engine and make it easier to turn over, it remains heavy to start on the handle and Steve, Roly and Timmy together could not get sufficient impetus on the starting handle today to make it fire. A tow of just a few feet from the Transporter was sufficient to do the trick and off it trundled up the lane.

DSCN4502.jpg

DSCN4512.jpg

DSCN4513.jpg

DSCN4520.jpg

DSCN4526.jpg

The Dennis has to be driven past the front gate and then reversed into the drive. All the canvas and associated fittings have to come off before it can be reversed into the shed. A tight fit - and the driver has to mind his head as he goes in!

The end of a great weekend -thanks, too, to Roly and Timmy for their help and support with getting it to Crystal Palace and then back from Brighton - and with putting it away.

DSCN4539.jpg

DSCN4541.jpg

DSCN4544.jpg

DSCN4546.jpg

DSCN4547.jpg

My Austin 7 will not start on old fuel.

The last time I changed the engine (timing gears broke!) it was on the bench for 3 months. It wouldn't even try with the old fuel. I drained it (and put it in the Golf), with a fresh gallon she fired instantly.

I think the higher fractions evaporate off, and it smells funny. The golf never missed a beat on it mind. I think the modern fuel is less stable than the old stuff, but it certainly burns hotter. Mixing it with something 'heavier', like oil, paraffin or DERV will lower the burn temp, and make it run cooler. With a mag you can adjust the timing manually for each mix, though the carburation is probably harder to adjust.

Well done to all involved on a successful run despite negligible shakedown.

As shown right through this thread you always do the best you can and not cut corners which was rewarded by no significant problems.

Could you rig up an external starter motor?