Fuel prices again.....

ArtistsRifles

I'll bet it was worth it!:cool2:

It certainly looked good on the Thursday when I saw it.

How many laps of the arena did you do, lots of rev's and gunning it also - higher fuel consumption.

I do think that W&P, should definately be subsidising the larger (tracked and wheeled) 'showstopper vehicles. After all thats what pulls in 'Joe Public'.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll bet it was worth it!:cool2:

It certainly looked good on the Thursday when I saw it.

How many laps of the arena did you do, lots of rev's and gunning it also - higher fuel consumption.

I do think that W&P, should definately be subsidising the larger (tracked and wheeled) 'showstopper vehicles. After all thats what pulls in 'Joe Public'.

Fuel consumption is not too bad as it happens - I get an average of 4.5 mpg out of her at shows. No idea how many laps - probably half a dozen and on the Thursday I think I may have reached 3rd gear. Had you been there at the weekend I got into top (5th) at one point - and got unintentionally airborne over a slight bump at the rear left of the arena!!

or if not helping with fuel how about free entry .:cool2:

Steady boy - you'll start everything off again!! :laugh: :laugh:

Never really worried about fuel prices. But with a Land Rover and a car I think I need to paymore attention (lucky enougth to walk to work:-D). Never fill up in Chesham though its normally 5p/litre cheaper 10 mile down road.

However when you check the breakdown of prices it would appear that we are paying VAT on the fuel duty.

Tax on 'tax'

Wouldn't mind if they used the money to do something other than bail out bankers and install more pot holes.

Mike

• 1 month later...

More doom and despondancy in the news again I see and our local place jacked the price of his diesel and unleaded up to £1.20 a litre last week . Yesterday my brother had to go up to Carlisle on business and on his way back saw a filling station where the price was £1.40 per litre - and yes , he did do a double take to check he wasn't seeing things !

same story over here , prices keep going up , not only for the customer .....

we run a small petrol station , family bussiness , for almost 30 years now , when we look back in time , it's been a fight to survive ; big petrol companies - authorities(laws)- fraude

The amount of money to invest , the profit to gain , the risk , after all it just isn't worth it:-(

Just increased to £1.15.9p per litre here and according to the news more to come but crude price is still only around $80 a barrel. Last time pump prices hit £1.20 crude price was around $140 a barrel, I smell a rat somewhere. Speculators appear to be largely responsible.

Just increased to £1.15.9p per litre here and according to the news more to come but crude price is still only around $80 a barrel. Last time pump prices hit £1.20 crude price was around $140 a barrel, I smell a rat somewhere. Speculators appear to be largely responsible.

The weakness of the pound, they say!

The weakness of the pound, they say!

Ah the smell of bovine excrament.

Seems to me that it makes no difference they are just no good at maths or nobody has cottoned on to it.

Lets see price of a barrel goes up 20% price of fuel goes up 22%.

Price of a barrel goes down 20% price of fuel goes down 15%.

The pound becomes weak against the dollar the price of fuel goes up.

The pound becomes strong against the dollar the price of fuel does not change.

End of year oil companies report increased profits, executives get big bonus and share holders get big payouts and all are happy.

We have no choice as we need to buy fuel as public transport does not work outside of big cities.

Now lets see I could either convert my Land Rover to ddiesel and run it on the waste from the chippy or curry house.

Alternativly does anbody know how to convert a petrol engine to alcohol and and have instructions on how to turn a Sankey bowser into a still?

I suppose I could also do a Mad Max and run it methane. I knew bovine excrament would come in handy.

Mike

I knew bovine excrament would come in handy.

I seem to remember something on TV many years ago, about a man who had converted his car to run on Chicken S..er, sorry, excament. Anyone know any details or how he did it? The TV programme must have been about 40 years ago.

As an alternative, how about restoring a wartime vehicle to run on household gas, like as in Dad's Army?

Quite a few farmers have been known to spread Chicken ** round citys over the years. :cool2: Normally when politicians have come out with to much Bull 'excrement'. Wonderful paint remover. I should think it was put in a digester then the methane produced run off for use in a vehilce. This is currently very much in vouge for electricity production, especially as you will be able to sell surplus back to the grid. Chicken and pig, 'excrement' was particullay valued for making gun pwder, very high nitorgen content.

It doesn't work too well IN the cities either Mike. And as fuel prices go up - so do the ticket prices.... >:(

Unfair!! :angryIf it wasn't for these people expecting us to stop and start all the time so they can get on and off, the system would work perfectly. :beatenup:

Yes I suppose the biggest problem with public transport is the public.

I am still convinced it works better in cities though.

Have just tried using a public transport journey planning website.

Land Rover currently in bits at my parents 5 miles away, removing propshaft and transmission brake on my sloping drive was deemed to be a bad idea. Bloke opposite also might not like it parked on his Subaru.

According to the website it will take about 50 minutes to go the 4 miles to the nearest bus stop, about 1 mile from their house. Not only do I need to walk the last mile I also have to walk two additional miles (1 each end).

It appears that buses only run from town centres on a Sunday. Luckily my tools are in the Land Rover.

Oh well better bite the bullet and buy some of that expensive petrol,

Probably cheaper than bus fares for two people anyway.

Mike

Tony B

Unfair!! :angryIf it wasn't for these people expecting us to stop and start all the time so they can get on and off, the system would work perfectly. :beatenup:

Some joke, many years ago I was discussing the "relative" merits of the Tyne/Wear Metro with a jobsworth civil engineer who worked on the QE2 metro bridge (across the Tyne) the conversation went like this-

Me " The system doesn't work, it's inflexible and fails to cover many areas particularly those that need it due to social isolation/poverty etc- it's a Hornby OO train set to keep the councilors happy, it would better to be a diesel-electric wheeled system that could emerge from culverts/tunnels to service outlying estates."

Civil engineer "Why? it's a great system."

Me "It doesn't help people to get around -the so called integrated service leaves passengers waiting in the rain for infrequent connections."

Civil Engineer " You're stupid what do passengers have to do with it!":undecided:

:-D yes you do

- buy shares in oil companies and get the big dividend you mention :cool2:

- convert the vehicle to any of the many alternatives you list :cool2:

I could buy some shares but probably not enough to make any real money and nowing my luck they would join the banks.

There are a few problems with converting to the alternatives.

I believe stills are illegal and I would be to tempted to sample the product.

I would also forget to pay the fuel duty so I would have HMRC officials hunting for me.

I believe you still have to pay the fuel duty.

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageExcise_ShowContent&id=HMCE_PROD1_024771&propertyType=document#P6_326

Having looked at the above site I would also spend most of my time filing out forms and trying to convince them that because the fuel guage always reads empty "I am obviously not using any fuel as the tank is always empty and as such I do not need to pay any duty".

Somehow I do not think that will work.

I also doubt I could make or carry enough to go on a long journey.

Mike

Tap water in countries like Holland is actually of better quality than most mineral waters sold in bottles. And we use it to flush the toilet, wash the car and water the garden. How´s that for prosperity!?!?!?

H.

TOILET............... what`s a toilet?:cool2:

so that is close to 70% tax on fuel plus the tax you pay on your wages in the first place and the tax you pay on your vehicle plus the tax you pay to drive into London and the tax from the camera when you go a bit too fast,its a wonder there is anything on the road round here

Nigel

Actually...... it`s all very taxing, isn`t it. !!!!!! Just smile and keep taking the pills....... someone said cheer up, things could be a lot worse, so I cheered up, and sure enough, things got a lot worse.:cool2: