Fuel prices again.....

ArtistsRifles

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Folks, just to try to put things into some perspective, when I started driving (1955) petrol was 3/6 per gallon, thats 17.5p in new money........... wages were £8.00 per week. Add to that the fact that the likes of a Morri Minor would probably do 30 miles p.g. ........ today a comparable car will do between 50 and 60 mpg, you will find we are probably no worse off, I have jkust done my sums, and I think that we are better off in real terms.......... Some academics amongst you might prove me wrong.:dancing:

Hi Folks, just to try to put things into some perspective, when I started driving (1955) petrol was 3/6 per gallon, thats 17.5p in new money........... wages were £8.00 per week. Add to that the fact that the likes of a Morri Minor would probably do 30 miles p.g. ........ today a comparable car will do between 50 and 60 mpg, you will find we are probably no worse off, I have jkust done my sums, and I think that we are better off in real terms.......... Some academics amongst you might prove me wrong.:dancing:

I'm not an academic mate, but you don't need the brains of an Arch Bishop to realise that as I earn less now than I did back in 1990-92 I am very much worse off considering inflation etc. Fuel is totally jacked up as a bonanza tax and nothing to do with global warming etc. Oh, and as the budget is tomorrow, lets wait and see how much extra it's going to be. VAT on food anyone????:argh:

I did try to avoid the dreaded "P" word Lee - trouble is it's that what makes the prices go up. :-(

To summarize what was there - I am now £52/month worse off just on the cars fuel bill... Shudder to think what the total will be either for my MV fuel - or the low-loader bills for every one that uses them this year!!

watching a program featuring jay leno the other day, might have been james may interviewing him about his extensive vehicle collection and he was saying that electric cars / hybrid could be the saviour of old not so fuel efficient vehicles . in evo mag there is a feature on a honda insight 10 years old but will do a real 70 mpg, i for one could make the sacrifice to drive one of those during the week to let me run the ferret at the weekend .( jan 09 fuel at 80 ish p a litre)

Just found something that makes petrol seem really cheap.

Ink jet printer ink. Don't use to much but needed some today.

£39 per cartridge fo HP ink thats a cool £2294 per litre.

I think petrol is now cheap!!!

Just going to have to wait till the cheap stuff from the internet arrives.

Mind you that still works out at £500/litre

Mike

Something else from the budget that will hit some of us- changes to the road tax payable. As of April 1st it's split into two categories based on engine size

Less than 1549cc - rate is £125

More than 1549cc - rate is £205

I suspect we will all be in the latter category - an increase from £190 to £205.

There is a theory that may have some effect on the price of fuel.... mentioned a lot on facebook at the moment

Boycot the most expensive fuel companies, -in my area it is 'Esso' and 'BP'. If you stop buying fuel here completely 1st, and tell 10 of your mate to stop buying from them too, also tell your mates to tell 10 of their mates and so on... pretty soon the biggest of the fuel giants will start to crumble under the pressure, and will be forced to put their prices down in order to get the customers again. I reckon we should stop buying from them til their prices get to, say, 0.80p per litre, at least that is a more realistic price!!!!

Go on, try it tomorrow!:cool2::cool2::cool2::cool2::cool2::cool2::cool2::cool2::cool2::cool2:

After months of (expensive) work, I finally get my WOA2 ready for the road. I notice that the petrol station up the road is 113.9 a litre. I go the next day and it's 114.9. Damn.

(And it's going up again on Thursday....)

On the plus suide, the car does sound really nice now, and the gearbox nice and firm.

Over on the other side of the pond, I am paying $2.75 p/gallon, so I should not complain . If my math is right. 1.15 p/litre times 3.78 (1 US gallon) equals 4.34. Current exchange rate is $1.498 to one pound . $6.50 per gallon, now that would shut the US economy down. Last year the exchange rate was close 1.95 to the pound $8.46 p/gallon)

John Gott

• 1 month later...
Contrary to predictions -we've just had a 5p/litre drop in the price of unleaded around here...

Sat it was 120.9/litre, today it is 115.9/litre using the website www.petrolprices.com :-)

I noticed that! I always try and get a 5p petrol discount voucher from Sainsburys of Tesco's then fill up the vectra tank and a couple of 20 liter jerrycans at the same time. I had one on Sat and purchased 90 odd litres of fuel, which with the voucher makes it about 110.9 ppl. Gives you about a fiver saving, which definately makes you feel a bit better, however spending £100 on the fourcourt does hurt!

:-D