Military Fodens

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can anybody see any air lines on that ?

Never mind brakes, you would never turn the steering on a dead crane so must assume the engine is still running for air and hydraulics.

Years ago, a large crane ran out of fuel near Market Harborough, lost hydraulics and drove straight into a ditch. It was dragged back onto the road by DC who just happened to have a 240 ton Contractor in the yard.

There is also a similar story of a loaded Commander demolishing a house in Germany when the crew made a fuel tank changeover error and stopped the engine on the approach to a bend.

Can anybody see any air lines on that ?

no i cant see any either

only think i can think of antar is that the crane still has use of its engine because could have a gearbox fault of somehting along those lines . i think it would be near imposible to tow on a strait bar without the engine running to assiste the steering . with all those rather large wheels . to turn unless the driver in the crane has a pioneer at home :cool2: at a guess i would say the crane weighes in at a gd 70 tones or so

nick

need to update page more offten u beat me too it mike

Edited by younggun
radiomike beat me too it

I drive a grove AT528B All terrain crane. its only little but wieghs in at 22tons. The steering is hydraulic With a mechanical linkage between steering box and wheels. Pressure comes from a pump mounted on the engine and also an emergency steering pump belt driven of the propshaft. I have had the engine cut out running down a large hill after cooking up climbing to the top(cos the tourque converter lock up unit is in the blink). steering was just fine till i ground to a compleat stop. Even had to deal with an S bend.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

i had a look at the fodens at withams last tender, only good for spares, they were completely damaged and raped!:argh:

as for the foden wreckers, they were a great beast but also had many shortcomings, and some stupid design features! (im ex REME reccymech) i can tell you many a story! (if you ask nicely i will):cool2:

Fodens in Withams tender seen today

I do belive you could take the first slightly bent one with no engine or gearbox home for £27000 if you fancey a project:sweat: Or you can have the recovery body winch and crane for £17000:cool2:

thats it, your fault gritineye! :-D

we had one reccymech, driving down the motorway, may be just above the limit of the tyres, but anyway cut a long story short he crashed!

ripped off the front axle! he swore it wasnt his fault, the truck lurched then swerved and crashed! :shocked:

investigations carried out, it was found that after repair the sring u bolts were not tightened/fatigued and they led to the axle coming loose on one side with the devestating results! :nono:

i've not got the photos in my collection, but i will ask me old reccymech pals if they have, someone has as i see them!

we were on excercise in thetford, and a reccymech (no name mentioned, so he can buy me a beer) went off to do a recovery job! what should have taken no more than an hour, we were getting a little concerned after 3!

so off i went looking for him, i found him, up to his bumper in soft marsh! "hold on mate, i'll give you a hand"

"NO" im fine! :stop:

wouldnt let me, and any of the other reccymechs will know, its not stupidity or pity, its pride! he got out after another couple of hours! but i did keep him in brews! god bless the Boiling vessel! :-D

a bad design on the foden!

all the reccymechs reading this will agree!

the spare wheel divot for taking off the reserve wheel! time consuming design, why they didnt make it just a swivelling arm with a little hand winch i dont know, instead of the cable system used! :argh: