Military Fodens

that looked fun richard! :-D

i onced changed the turbo at the side of a shooting range in catterick, just hooked up a drops and she blew! what fun!

my ASM said it was good training, :idea: the annoying thing was the main workshops was only 7 or 8 miles down the road!

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that looked fun richard! :-D

A long story there, it was about 18 years ago. A Foden was written off in Norway, I understand and local TA removed engine and gearbox, there was no front axle. We had another come in, that had been recovered somewhere, when they lowered it to the ground and unhooked, it ran away backwards, straight into a tank !!!! Result was the underlift boom was bent, I suggested we take the one off the wreck, which is what was happening in the pic. The wreck was steadily dismantled, all major units being reclaimed, the cab and chassis cut up. Parts also helped another crash repair job on one in from Bosnia.

we had one call out, i was away, they other reccymech was my student so only a pot r.m.

they had a drops go over a crossroad and hit another truck!

so they called our unit out! "no reccymechs" so one of the v.m's was told to take it by the c.o, :idea: yes he had a h.g.v. but what else could he do!!! he said he couldnt operate it, but the c.o. said it will only need towing! yeh its never that simple is it!

stupidly he went to the site, stoped up the hill, put on the park brake! jumped out, then obviously thought, hell why is the foden moving? you guessed it, he didnt apply the brake correctly, she ran away.

so it ended up being a drops and a foden written off! :argh:

but it wasnt mine! so i was not as angry as i would have been!

sorry guys, you can thank gritineye! :-D

but im on a roll now, (stop me if you want)

this one was after the gulf, the yanks were giving us "avgas" aviation fuel, they were using it in everything, but its not got the lubrification as normal diesel. :nono:

so daf 4 tonners, ran sort of ok, but if stalled seemed to take forever to restart!

i was taking a drops to workshops, when i came to the bottom of the hill at markham moor roundabout, there was a daf 4t, with the now weak hazzards flashing, (he had been trying to start it after stalling and the battery was fading, he was half way out onto the roundabout, and it was starting to get dark) i pulled up alongside, my oppo shouted accross, whats up, they were a couple of commandoes, "it wont start" :shake: as he wirred it over again,

so i shouted hold on, i will go round the roundabout, my oppo (bless him) jumped out, stopped the traffic, we straight barred him behind the drops into the next services, and away from the immenent danger he was in, yes illeagal, but now he was safer and could await his unit recovery. :cool2:

sorry the photo is dark and smokey, but you can just see daf behind the drops!

foden drops daf.jpg

good job its the weekend! although im an hour in front over here! best go get another brew!

"theres a foden in there somewhere":shocked:

this was on ex, the wksp co insisted we cam up! but after cam on, cam off, for 5 or 6 call outs i said, "bol****s" to that, :argh: and just put a skirt up around the sides, so it was easier and safer (try to cam a foden) to do it!

(so i think you've guessed ive found some of my photos!) misses is looking at me puzzled as to why im all giddy like a kid again!! oh memories of the fun times! :yay:

theres a foden in there!.jpg

Some great photos there, keep them coming. Remind me about the underlift, was it raised by the crane rather than it's own hydraulics?

Mike, It was raised by the heavy strop as you say, from the jib, I was using it in the photo to lift the rear end of it. I think the strop was rated about 80 tonnes.

Mike, It was raised by the heavy strop as you say, from the jib, I was using it in the photo to lift the rear end of it. I think the strop was rated about 80 tonnes.

Nearly correct Richard, 96 Tonne. Nice pics by the way, not seen any of the Eka kit taken apart like that.

thats it, your fault gritineye! :-D

we had one reccymech, driving down the motorway, may be just above the limit of the tyres, but anyway cut a long story short he crashed!

ripped off the front axle! he swore it wasnt his fault, the truck lurched then swerved and crashed! :shocked:

investigations carried out, it was found that after repair the sring u bolts were not tightened/fatigued and they led to the axle coming loose on one side with the devestating results! :nono:

i've not got the photos in my collection, but i will ask me old reccymech pals if they have, someone has as i see them!

He's a very good friend of mine, your correct the U bolts had worked loose and caused the front axle to ermmm "fall off", no fault of his own or REME VM's, the Foden was picked up from the port having been through ABRO for a mid life rebuild and was supposedly fully fit. The guy in question was very seriously injured but made a full recovery (no pun intended) and is still serving in the job.:)

I have pics I'll post a couple when I dig them out.

yes for a suspended or supported tow, the hamper was lifted by the crane, and strop, then at the height needed, it was pinned, with two top hats and the pins! then the crane lowered and stowed for driving.

the strop could be left attatched, unless the hamper was raised to the last four hole sets, then it had to be stowed in the slewed possition, so the strop had to be disconnected once the weight was off it. :cool2:

i see one reccymech, who lowered the crane with the hamper high, he didnt slew, just lowered, on the road he went under a bridge, with the resulting outcome, he wedged the foden so hard it lifted the front axle clear of the road! :nono:

recymech66, the abro "midlife refit" i would rather call it a "midlife re-spray" we had one that came from the supposid refit, and they had just litterally re sprayed it. it was refused and sent back! :nono:

oh the problems we had with abbro! they get away with it, because its too much paperwork for the recipiant to fill out to complain, it would have been better if they were owned by the m.o.d. or if they had competition from other companies! but they had the monopoly so they didnt care! :argh:

The first mid-life overhaul programme for Foden Recovery vehicles was awarded to Selwood Plant at Chandlers Ford in 1996. It was a three year contract for 190 vehicles. Assume ABRO did the next "refurb" then?l

Memory fades with age Richard, can't remember after Selwoods did the first batch.

I'll check at work tomorrow:idea:

Hi all, first post here and maybe one to make grown men cry.

Vehicle lost it on a mountain road in Bosnia winter of '92/'93 and rolled down the side of the mountain ending up in a shallow river, both lads jumped and survived with just one broken bone and lots of bruising.

You can just see me at the back pinching the air coupling for a Foden we had in he workshop.

The biggest stink was because an SA80 was lost in the accident!

File0007.jpg