Military Fodens

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
I found these interesting pictures whilst 'mooching' on the internet today!

http://www.fototruck.com/galleryDetail.asp?intCategoryID=3

Very interesting, the Renault magnum control vehicle and trailer was in Whithams a few months back for sale, whilst I was taking the pictures there was someone looking to buy it and use as a race car transporter, its not there now so it must have sold.

2008_0819Magnum0031a.JPG

Not to sure about the authenticy of the Foden FG in military colours, the dinky model was based on a protype tested by the army but not accepted i have a photo of it somewhere and will post when located. Regarding the Renault Magnum in Mikes post was it used by the british forces and if so for what purpose it must have been a one of if so

Not to sure about the authenticy of the Foden FG in military colours, the dinky model was based on a protype tested by the army but not accepted i have a photo of it somewhere and will post when located. Regarding the Renault Magnum in Mikes post was it used by the british forces and if so for what purpose it must have been a one of if so

Hi Les,

look again there has been more than one antar owner on this forum ! as regards the Magnum there would apear to have been only one of them. The nice thing about it was the fact that it was a sleeper cab (obviously) with no bunks. behind the driver was another seat with a hatch in the roof and across the back of the cab were gun racks. behind the pasenger seat was a passageway into the rear body. The rear body had been emptied of all the comand equipment but there was a large hatch in the roof and a ladder up to it. Outside on the roof the bodywork protruded above the roof by about 18" so someone could be concealed whilst up there. Quite a bit of kit !!!

John thats John !!!

Lovely beast ! What is her future ? Hope its preservation !

Err sort of.

After a weekends work she is now like this.

Picture013-1.jpg

Picture007-1.jpg

She has been saved from being cut up by the scrap man but a Tanker is no use to us. It will soon be sporting a replacement beaver tail body so we can get our stuff to the shows and have a bit more carrying capacity over the current Volvo. So it should be making the trip to W & P this year.

• 3 weeks later...
I Ran a Foden FH70 and enjoyed every minute, sold it to David Crouch and now run a Foden 8 wheel beavertail that was previously a GS cargo army truck. The Foden origionally had a Rolls 220 but now runs a 305 Rolls and has had a Fuller gearbox instead of the Foden 9 speed. I carry my Alvis Stalwart on her .

I am buying a FH70 Limber from Dave, could be you old one. Details on FH70 Fodens seem a bit thin on the ground any help would be appreciated.

Things I would really like to know are; numbers made, Crane capacity ( I have conflicting info on this), common faults, spares suppliers. any photos.

tried to upload photos but it won't let me! someone help a " Caveman"

Cheers Simon

I am buying a FH70 Limber , common faults, Cheers Simon

Only thing I know (from someone who got the spares for someone to whom it happened) is that the front wheel drive is held OUT of engagement by air pressure.

This is fine if you need it to fail into 6x6 mode, as on a batlefield, but not too clever if you lose air pressure to this device when screaming up a motorway. You won't realise until too late, then you'll need a transfer box and maybe a front diff too.

If I ran one I would definitely do a 'mod' to this feature, or at the very least a very loud buzzer!!

One of these FH70s would look nice with an old Matador cab on :cool2:

Edited by N.O.S.

Only thing I know (from someone who got the spares for someone to whom it happened) is that the front wheel drive is held OUT of engagement by air pressure.

This is fine if you need it to fail into 6x6 mode, as on a batlefield, but not too clever if you lose air pressure to this device when screaming up a motorway. You won't realise until too late, then you'll need a transfer box and maybe a front diff too.

If I ran one I would definitely do a 'mod' to this feature, or at the very least a very loud buzzer!!

One of these FH70s would look nice with an old Matador cab on :cool2:

From memory there is a row of 4 warning lights, one for each cross axle diff and one for the inter-axle rear diff.