Military Fodens

Anyone know what become of the Foden wrecker that used to belong to Frodsham Motors of Morcombelake, Dorset. Frodsham Motors had the well-known Scammell Constructor that was always parked in the yard, but the Foden was always kept in the workshop under cover.

I am sure I read somewhere that it was a protoype, and have often wondered what became of it when Frodsham Motors closed.

Towards the end of last year I believe that vehicle was being advertised on recoveryvehicles.com The asking price was a little over 50K... I note that it is no longer listed.

However Recoveryvehicles.com list items that are owned by others so it does not mean it was sold, possibly kept by present owner whoever they may be.

Interestingly they have a Mk 111 Militant at 11750 plus the VAT with only 4100 miles on it and a scammell 8 wheeler which is an S26 at 28K

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Withan Tender auction listings now up

4 X Foden 6 x 6 recovery listed, no details, no pictures as yet. Guide Price 15K which may say quite alot about condition.

Rumour has it that it is possible there will be ten or more arriving shortly. Condition unknown but expecting a large percentage to be non runners / damaged / stripped.

I suspect a fair few of the first ones to come through maybe heavily damaged by IED so will require some rebuilding, I've seen quite a few being backloaded on ships over the past year.

Could be wrong though.

Sorry havent got used to posting on site yet. Another job old Foden did. This had defeated all attempts to move it for two weeks wieght 50 tons arm 28meters long 400ft up a pile of fly ash from power station alongside very deep lagoon. 2 days submiting method statements to get get control of site some compond rigging and job sorted . miss that old Foden

recymech66

Do you know this guy???

Yes haha, seen this ages ago, poor blokes taken so much crap over this.

Looks like he has abandoned the golden rule of hill decent; DO NOT USE THE BRAKES use the gears and engine braking to hold the truck down the hill. Was there much damage to this wrecker?

Looks like he has abandoned the golden rule of hill decent; DO NOT USE THE BRAKES use the gears and engine braking to hold the truck down the hill. Was there much damage to this wrecker?

Not 100% sure but I think it went back on the road after a bit of cosmetic repairs done.

Looks like you would need to buy all the Foden recovery's that Withams have to make one good un ! Too dear for me ! But then I am a dreamer !:yawn::-D

Yes, I'd love one for myself but the MoD don't pay me that well.:embarrassed: At least I get to play with them for a few more years yet.;)

Towards the end of last year I believe that vehicle was being advertised on recoveryvehicles.com The asking price was a little over 50K... I note that it is no longer listed.

However Recoveryvehicles.com list items that are owned by others so it does not mean it was sold, possibly kept by present owner whoever they may be.

Interestingly they have a Mk 111 Militant at 11750 plus the VAT with only 4100 miles on it and a scammell 8 wheeler which is an S26 at 28K

I noticed last night while driving back from Devon to Dorset that a white Foden recovery has appeared alongside Bride Valley Motors in Winterbourne Abbas. I only caught a glimpse as I went by, but I wonder if this is in fact the old Frodsham Motors unit, just moved a few miles further east. I will have to investigate.

Those are not the Fodens in the upcoming tender at withams.

I have it on good authority that they are yet to arrive hence the lack of info in the tender listings

Saying that I doubt the ones due in will be in much better condition

Just to cheer you up here is a virtually brand new one in 1986 at Duxford before those clumsy rechymechy types had a chance to destroy it.

scan0004.jpg