Matador Gallery

BCS675 is an ayrshire number ? which is a long way from Kettering driving a matador!!

BCS675 was originally chassios O8538596. It was bought for use as a heavy haulage tractor and later passed to Pickfords as fleet number M6673 in March 1950. Pickfords sold it to Edgar Scruby of Roeburn Avenue, Surbiton in October 1954.

BCS675 was originally chassios O8538596. It was bought for use as a heavy haulage tractor and later passed to Pickfords as fleet number M6673 in March 1950. Pickfords sold it to Edgar Scruby of Roeburn Avenue, Surbiton in October 1954.

Thanks for the information very interesting do you know what Edgar Scruby did was into timber or haulage

• 1 month later...

Fantastic thread!!! I can vividly remember Job Earnshaw & son operating their Matadors in the seventies and eighties.My wife lived 200 yards away from their yard in Flockton West Yorkshire and even she can recognise a Matador...

My Father had a haulage company which included Ergomatic cabbed AECs and they were fantastic trucks. I never had any affection for the DAF and Mercedes trucks which replaced them( apart from the 1988 1644 twin turbo Mercedes).

A chap near me in Huddersfield has a beautiful Matador with power steering,and I believe an AV 505 engine.

• 2 weeks later...
I am told the above is a recent picture, but the Matadors still have RAF registrations. And are in standard RAF flatbed form, but why are they Yellow? Suggestions please.

Mike THe Airfield Construction/Air Ministry Works Dept ACB/AMWD boys at RAF Nicosia supported RAF EL Adam which was in Libya. we were kicked out of Libya in 1968/9.

In addition I was in Cyprus 1970 to 74 and there was no way ex military vehicle went into civillian hands fully marked and then driven with military reg numbers. I suggest this is a late 1950s-- early 1960s photo and is what the caption said, remember at that time RAF Nicosia was the main RAF base on the Island, its the Limassol bit that is strange the main port at the time was Famagusta unless they were going out to a boat off Limassol on a lighter. But whichever I think this is a 1950/60s piccy.

re colour, if the ACB/AMWD were employed on active airfield the senior air traffic guy in the Mid East may have insisted on all yellow.

regards TED

• 4 weeks later...