Matador Gallery

From 1956 RAF, Army and R.N. manual covering post war production Matadors

56manual1.jpg

56MANUALRESCAN.jpg

56manual3-1.jpg

Showing RAF Steel bodied Cargo truck, I always like the fact that these are trucks, because it pisses on the bonfires of those unthinking people who decry the use of the word Truck, and who say "Truck is an American term, we have lorries in England." Sorry IT'S a TRUCK.

Edited by antarmike

And from the Civilian Matador Manual, covering the new build post 1945 Matadors, and the "Buy Back", reconditioned Matadors sold post war to Civilian users comes this gem.

CivilianManual1.jpg

CivvyManual2.jpg

Rear axle built with Civilian gear tooth end on half shaft, not military spider, and a similar trailing axle, Basically the driven axle, with no half shaft, and a wooden plug hammered in to keep the grease in the hub, so it doesn't run into the axle tube.

Oh! and dual rear wheels.

This axle actually appears in this format in The Mammoth Handbook so wooden plugs must have been made in some number!

Edited by antarmike

56manual1.jpg

56manual2.jpg

56manual3-1.jpg

Showing RAF Steel bodied Cargo truck, I always like the fact that these are trucks, because it pisses on the bonfires of those unthinking people who decry the use of the word Truck, and who say "Truck is an American term, we have lorries in England." Sorry IT'S a TRUCK.

A first class trivia question !! Although I dont think We on this side of the pond have ever labeled a Vehicle a Lorrie , its nice to know someone over there was will to give the vehicle a proper title :cool2:

Yes that is on here already. Sadly it was burnt beyond rebuilding and scrapped. It only went to a farm for the week-end to be pressure washed, it was left in a barn, because they ran out of time on Saturday, and they were going to try again on Sunday, but the barn caught fire, overnight.

Sad really because I really liked that one. (It was ex "MilitantGraham's "' for a while)

Edited by antarmike

• 2 weeks later...

Maidstone2.jpg

I was asked at Rushden what I knew about O853 811, and whether it could have been an ACV.

I think not O853 813 PSU 893 was definitely a MAT as was O853 817 Sayers Matador ARX 362J, O853 933 which I used to own was also definitely a MAT. O853 789 (David Crouch's Q492 DNR) was also a MAT.

O853 811 was Maidstone and District but I do not know it's service numbers.

The first batch of ACV's I can find start at around O853 1524, which was an ACV recabbed with an Atki cab and owned by Pontins of Slaughterford. In this same batch of ACV,s are O853 1531, ex ROF Bishopton, later with A Ross Girvan Strathclyde, 1560 The Duxford ACV, and 1607, the Blandford Camp signals museum ACV.

The Next Batch of ACV's seem to be around chassis numbers O853 4363, reg 221 BRX converted to timber tractor with Unipower winch, O853 4485 Birmingham corporation Transport 117, O853 4490 a Douglas convertion to Timber tractor FHR 954, O853 4491, a twin boom wrecker seen at Rush Green, O853 4513 PUT 510, Timber tractor J Holman., and O853 4518, another ex ROF Bishopton ACV, which ended up at Misson.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Thought it was about time to bump this thread.

This was the first Matador I ever really noticed. It belonged to the Gloucester West Midlands Farmers who auctioned it off in 1987 (I think). It was sold to a chap from just north of Newent who had a collection of Matadors, mostly timber tractors. I kept track of it for a number of years and tried to buy it several time. I have not checked on it for a number of years now, anyone know if it is still there.

It was a very fine example and was totally original. The only thing that had been done to it was to paint it, it had never been registered. I wish I had made a note of the chassis number.

WMF Matador.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Whilst driving through Winchcombe on Sunday the 10th Oct this year on our way to The Steam Fair at Toddington, I had to give way (well he was bigger than me) an AEC Matador Timber Tractor this I think had been at the Steam Fair on the Saturday, looking at the brochure, it belongs to Philip & Pat Wadley, the reg no is ARV 143, and it is a MK11 1937 model, any one know more about the old Girl, ?

Dizzy-t

Whilst driving through Winchcombe on Sunday the 10th Oct this year on our way to The Steam Fair at Toddington, I had to give way (well he was bigger than me) an AEC Matador Timber Tractor this I think had been at the Steam Fair on the Saturday, looking at the brochure, it belongs to Philip & Pat Wadley, the reg no is ARV 143, and it is a MK11 1937 model, any one know more about the old Girl, ?

Dizzy-t

ARV 143 is a Pre-war Civilian 4x2 model type O346, and has no direct connection with Wartime and later 4x4 type O853, and as far as I know is not and never has been a timber vehicle. At 1937 this is two years before the first O853/853 Matador. ARV has been on rally circuit many years as a box Van.

Having attended Toddington in the past I know a timber Matador which has been there in the past. The ex Kinver sawmill O853 Rag LRF 463B (95YY36),. I don't know whether this was there again and is what you saw, but possibly it attended, not in program, and you have found civvy 4x2 Matador in program and are wrongly assuming it is the same vehicle?

Edited by antarmike