Matador Gallery

My Matador

OUC 973F, 0853 8386, First registered August 1967, Left the AEC factory on 4th November 1944, its last military reg No being 99 YY 52

I presume it was converted to timber crane in 1967 and subsequently worked for Clinton Deveon Estates at Budleigh Salterton until November 1987, it then passed through the hands of L, W, Vass before being sold to Kim Gifford of Gifford Tree Service at Cobham it changend hands again in 1996 and was collected from where it had been working in Windsor Great Park being bought by Ian Smith of Plumpton from whom I purchased it.

All the steel skin of the cab is rotten along with a damaged beyond repair fuel tank and front wings. For some time it seems the jib has been hitting and damaging the roof when it was dropped and this also will need attending to,

Who was Bob Ansell and where did he operate from, the crane and winch spade look to be the same as others that I have seen described as that of his work.

The vehicle was overhauled in 1954 by the military at MTRS B403

can anybody tell me what and where this was.

If anyone can fill in any of the gaps in its history or have any memories of it working I would be most interesed, also any parts.

Thanks Steve

MATADOR PLUMPTON 002.jpg

MATADOR PLUMPTON 001.jpg

MATADOR PLUMPTON 003.jpg

MATADOR PLUMPTON 007.jpg

MATADOR PLUMPTON 024.jpg

MATADOR PLUMPTON 008.jpg

My Matador

OUC 973F, 0853 8386, First registered August 1967, Left the AEC factory on 4th November 1944, its last military reg No being 99 YY 52

I presume it was converted to timber crane in 1967 and subsequently worked for Clinton Deveon Estates at Budleigh Salterton until November 1987, it then passed through the hands of L, W, Vass before being sold to Kim Gifford of Gifford Tree Service at Cobham it changend hands again in 1996 and was collected from where it had been working in Windsor Great Park being bought by Ian Smith of Plumpton from whom I purchased it.

All the steel skin of the cab is rotten along with a damaged beyond repair fuel tank and front wings. For some time it seems the jib has been hitting and damaging the roof when it was dropped and this also will need attending to,

Who was Bob Ansell and where did he operate from, the crane and winch spade look to be the same as others that I have seen described as that of his work.

The vehicle was overhauled in 1954 by the military at MTRS B403

can anybody tell me what and where this was.

If anyone can fill in any of the gaps in its history or have any memories of it working I would be most interesed, also any parts.

Thanks Steve

Bob Ansell was from Wisborough Green in Sussex. He converted a few Matadors for timber use according to the book 'Men, Mud and Machines' by Maurice H. Sanders.

I think I might have a picture of your Matador whilst it was with Giffords. I will try to find it and post if I'm successful!!

Thank you for such an interesting post. From what can be seen from the photographs that looks to be a very promising restoration project. There are plenty of people around who have rebuilt Matador cabs and front mudguards are not a difficult shape to

duplicate. There were NOS Matador fuel tanks around until fairly recently but I've no idea whether there still are.

If you are interested in researching the military service life of your Matador you may find the link below of interest. Keep us up to

date with the restoration as it progresses. Cheers.

http://www.hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?t=7682&page=2

Nice truck, does look like a Bob Ansell conversion, I have one the same (pictured earlier in this gallery) looks very restorable, will you be keeping it in timber spec or putting it back to military?

Spares are thin on the ground as Ive been finding out, all the delicate bits are getting rare and the big heavy stuff has been weighed in with the recent high scrap prices. Luckily the drivelines are pretty bullet proof. Is it still running the original AEC 7.7 engine?

Good luck,

Ed

Thanks all for the informaion, I put two new bateries on it after I bought it and with the help of a mate got it fired up, it had not moved for four years. The starter motor bendix is sticky through lack of use, I need to remove it for a springclean but am unsure as to which is the best way to get at it for removal, from above or below? The fuel tank has copped for an unfortunate one against its front edge and something solid, resulting in a split seam and leak, so when the weather gets a bit warmer I am going to fit another tank.

The exhaust needs re-piping the, the nearside leg of the crane bolster needs straightening and a new perch welded on to support the crane, new silencer brackets etc.

I managed to get hold of some secondhand replacement tyres 1500x20 bartreads I hope are not too big?, which have really made the old girl stand to attention, but the best bit was when removing the wheels, seeing the original paintwork around the chamfered part of the brake drums as though just finnished by Mr AEC 65 years ago.

Whilst its cold I have been sprucing up the rad which I have taken off, also cutting out and patch repairing the moth eaten outrer shrouds.

Doors are off, skins discarded and new top and mid rails fitted, still need to put bottom rails in them and replace the lower inner boarding and skins.

Has anybody got a front spring drawbar and pintle hitch to return everything to standard?

If I havent bored everyone to death I will post some more pictures at a later date.

Happy days

Steve

Edited by Matador Steve
spelling

No boredom at all, well done for making good progress in the inclement conditions :)

I've not done it but I'm told by those who have many times that to remove the starter (having got the electrics out of the way) you wedge yourself up against the inside of the off-side wheel, undo the clamp and try not to let it fall on you - it will hurt if it does. Probably a good idea to put a strop round it and anchor it to something upstairs.

Keep the pics coming.

his one

09-03-2008152705.jpg

was made out of these two

09-03-2008153505.jpg

These two were operated by NP Timber co ltd. Rothwell road sawmills .Kettering .Northants . I bought 605ABM in 1987 along with 618AYD for spares . I found BCS675 on ebay a couple of years ago its a complete wreck but still runs and drives . I recently found photos of them loading timber in bletchley in the 1970s . Anyone got any photos or info of these matadors ?618AYD is a somerset number . 605ABM is a bedfordshire number possibly once owned by CR Jackson Maulden Beds bought from LW Vass in Amptill.. BCS675 is an ayrshire number ? which is a long way from Kettering driving a matador!!

Thanks ekawrecker for looking inthe filing system, what a brilliant photograph, it seems to have changed very little, maybe just a bit more metal moth in th cab panels. I think Giffords purchased it just after the great storm, possibly for the clean up. Interesting to see it already had the bumper modification then, the RSJ being puddle welded to the drawbar bracket on the offside and on the nearside welded via a piece of channel directly to the dumb iron, so who knows what became of the front fairlead rollers. The visable damage to the front panel beneath the number plate being caused to gain access for the modification.

Can anyboby tell me for what purpose are the chains between the jib and its subframe ?

Steve

The short chains going back are to prevent the jib coming forwards onto the cab (which looks to have happened on yours) gravity would normally do this but I gather talking to various timber men of old that it is possible to end up with the jib rearing up hence the check chains. Also useful if you drive off with the winch in gear and pull the jib back onto yourself. Have added a picture of the back of mine, looks like a very similar jib construction. I am re-routing my cable so it goes straight off the winch drum and up to the jib pulley as the rear fairlead rollers don't look like they would take much upward load.

bbc895f2334df922bf1da0d868d0f31a.jpg

You can just make out one of the short chains dangling down from the jib.

Success!:-D....My filing system, (a big box in my cupboard) is better than I thought!

I took this at Giffords yard in Cobham in the late '80s.

http://www.hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/attachment.php?attachmentid=7587&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1234138693

It looks to me as if someone has turned this jib upside down. I would have expected the swan neck at the top of the jib to project backwards to give more reach, instead it sticks up in the air to give more height!

Edited by antarmike

.... I am re-routing my cable so it goes straight off the winch drum and up to the jib pulley as the rear fairlead rollers don't look like they would take much upward load.

Ed,

The winch mounting is designed for it to pull horizontally, not downward. Be careful!

Glad you liked the photo Steve, I also found these in my filing system!

Surely the best kept and least abused Timber Matador ever, just look at the cab interior!!

A real credit to its owner 'Kinver Sawmills', who had run it since they bought it in 1964. They even had the redundant body stored carefully nearby.

Seen in the late '80s at their yard.

scan0013.jpg

scan0012.jpg

Well spotted Mike regarding the jib, how strange, the jib when I bought the vehicle had been returned to its conventional position as Ed Batchelors is. I have been puzzeled by the brackets for the check chains and the supporting wire ropes as they are replicated both above and below the jib (8 in number), now I can see why, to enable it to be inverted, but why.

The Kinver Sawmills Matador, what a tidy vehicle

it looks like it would be rude to jump in without wiping your muddy boots.

ekawrecker what brought you to visit these yards in the late 80s?

Steve

Ed,

The winch mounting is designed for it to pull horizontally, not downward. Be careful!

And taking the rope from the drum to the pulley on the jib, adds to the problem of the jib crashing back on the cab. When the rope comes from the rear fairleads, both the pull and the load are below the jib. This tends to pull it down. It increases the load on the stay wires, so check these, but when comming from the drum, the pull is above the jib, tending to lift it, and the load is below, the jib, pulling it down. Sometimes, particularly if there is friction in the top pulley, the pull can overcome the lift, and the jib comes over!

Right here goes, seems as some other people are having a look through their old photo's here are some from my collection over the last couple of years.

The first pic is from Birdingbury Steam and Country Rally in 2007.

The second pic was taken at Caldecote Steam Rally in 2007.

While the final four pics were all taken at Belvior Castle Steam Rally in 2007.

069.jpg

008.jpg

056.jpg

057.jpg

067.jpg

075.jpg

And taking the rope from the drum to the pulley on the jib, adds to the problem of the jib crashing back on the cab. When the rope comes from the rear fairleads, both the pull and the load are below the jib. This tends to pull it down. It increases the load on the stay wires, so check these, but when comming from the drum, the pull is above the jib, tending to lift it, and the load is below, the jib, pulling it down. Sometimes, particularly if there is friction in the top pulley, the pull can overcome the lift, and the jib comes over!

I wouldn't mind coming out of the rear fairleads if they were a bit more substantial looking, additionally they are quite small in diameter and there is a risk not only of the top roller breaking away but also of damaging the wire rope as it is wrapped around such a small diameter. I have seen some matadors with a larger pulley set-up but would like to keep mine original (its lasted til now) other matadors with this same crane set-up I have seen with the wire running up to the jib but through the top 'A' section and over a snatch block rather than right over the top of the jib. This should be slightly better at keeping the jib down plus the check chains. I have been told the winch even in horizontal configuration can pull itself out of the chassis rails if overload is tampered with (apparently do not open up the throttle when winching in 1st gear) but does running the cable up at an angle cause issues? What sort of reduction in winch capacity would you expect (ignoring limiting factors of stability/structural integrity of jib)?

As a seperate question, apart from the diff and driveshafts are the main axle case and swivel/hub assemblies from the front axle interchangable between 7.9 and 6.25 units? I have a good axle casing and hubs on my 7.9 but want to swap in a 6.25 diff and shafts, will they go straight in? (may need to adjust end float on hubs with shims I guess)

I knew rhe joint was different but are the outer parts of the shafts the same, ie will either shaft fit in either hub?

You can fit 6.25 diffs in a 7.9 axle as the half shafts have the same number of splines and the main axle casing is the same forged type on both 'Tracta' and 'Rzeppa' jointed axles. (there was also a cast front axle but you'd know if you had one!)