Matador Gallery

I've found all my Mat photos from the early 1970s. Does anybody recognise any of them?

This is the first batch, the second one down belonged to Central Garage in Mirfield. The owner had a Dingo as I recall. Burnhill's (the grey one) were in Cleckheaton or somewhere around there.

No idea.jpg

Helmsley.jpg

Central Garage, Mirfield.jpg

Kirbymoorside.jpg

Burnhill's.jpg

Edited by Ivor Ramsden

This one is still around, I think. Whilst taking these photos around 1970 I had my first ever encounter with an archetypal Jobsworth, a tw*t in a uniform and a peaked cap who strutted over to me and said, "What are you doing?" I guess this was an indicator of his cretinousness, because if you're standing and pointing a camera at a Mat it's pretty bleedin' obvious what you're doing. However, being a well brought up 15 year old I told him I was taking pictures of the Mat.

"Have you got permission?"

"Er, no."

"Well you can't."

"But I already have."

This phased him a bit but there followed a cantankerous rant and, after he'd got it off his chest, "Well don't do it again."

I know now that my first reply should have been "F*** off" but you live and learn, don't you. Since then I've made it my life's work to wind the silly sods up whenever I come across them. Trouble is, as you get older, they don't pick on you any more.

Leeds City Transport 2.jpg

Leeds City Transport 1.jpg

Edited by Ivor Ramsden

Thanks for posting, the 6whl fairground one did pass into preservation and did appear at the AEC rally some year back. Would be interested to no if the first photo of the ex Powells of South Sheilds one ever got preserved? thanks again for posting them.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

03-03-2008191025.jpg

Reposted ..

Derek Fletcher give one of Dycol's Matadors' winch brake a pasting, winching the cab high in the air then dropping the clutch, letting it fall back to earth, and pulling on the winch brake just before he meets the ground to tug a reluctant felled beech he is Tushing out at Rothamstead Experimental Station...

• 2 weeks later...
Well done Ben.....What state are they in after all these years, Has BCF got a leyland in it?

they dont belong to me, nephew james has bought bcs 960 the pye douglas with the leyland 400 in, the rear body has been dismantled so that bit needs rebuilding but the rest of it is very good . the george walker douglas is a running chassis with the cab scuttle remaining so needs a bit of work joe has found this one ,perhaps a douglas tractor gathering could be in the pipeline for rushden 2011?:D

they dont belong to me, nephew james has bought bcs 960 the pye douglas with the leyland 400 in, the rear body has been dismantled so that bit needs rebuilding but the rest of it is very good . the george walker douglas is a running chassis with the cab scuttle remaining so needs a bit of work joe has found this one ,perhaps a douglas tractor gathering could be in the pipeline for rushden 2011?:D

Now there is an idea!

how many dougals can we get at rushden? or any other venue?

Rockingham Castle steam and country rally 16th - 17th July is on and anyone wishing to attend just give me a shout we are having a timber loading area and all are welcome.

all military and commercial vehicles welcome contact me for further details.

Edited by Amazon Joe