Matador Gallery

rzeppaaxle.jpg

tractaaxle.jpg

I don't believe there is any interchangeability, between the Rzeppa Hub and the Tracta Hub. The castings appear to me to be different shapes

The end of the axle case itself is not the same Note the extra bearing in the Tracta axle. (but the Rzeppa axle illustrated is Hydraulic braked. I can't at the moment find an illustration of an Air braked Rzeppa axle.)

The bearings fit in the end of the stub axle, and this is clearly different. I have never tried to swap hubs between types. It is difficult trying to work out from diagrams only. The hubs aren't vastly different, I suppose they might swap over.

Edited by antarmike

I don't believe there is any interchangeability, between the Rzeppa Hub and the Tracta Hub. The castings appear to me to be different shapes

The end of the axle case itself is not the same Note the extra bearing in the Tracta axle. (but the Rzeppa axle illustrated is Hydraulic braked. I can't at the moment find an illustration of an Air braked Rzeppa axle.)

The bearings fit in the end of the stub axle, and this is clearly different. I have never tried to swap hubs between types. It is difficult trying to work out from diagrams only. The hubs aren't vastly different, I suppose they might swap over.

Good point Mike, thanks for pointing that out. I'd forgotten the end of the 'Rzeppa' axle casing is slightly tapered, and the 'Tracta' casing is parallel.

Just goes to show how easy it is to forget important details!:)

It is a pig if a job, because the bearings are inside the stub axle tube, you have to assemble and shim the hub on the stub axle/ swivel assembly, with the whole lot off the vehicle. You then have the whole weight of swivel, bearings Hub etc in you hands as you try to get in onto the ball end of the axle case, wihout dislodging the swivel pin taper rolling bearings, and off course the lower taper rolling bearing is trying to obey the law of gravity all this time!. Good luck!

Crappy quality but interesting the Matador 3/4 track utilising Valentine track componants

I have seen other photographs of the same/similar vehicle. Were many produced ? Just a prototype or did they enter military service ? Thanks.

Just one, and it was a failure. As I understand it (correct me if wrong) German Halftracks did not rely totally on the front wheels to steer the vehicle. They had some form of track braking to help slew the half track round. The AEC failed because it only had steering by the front wheels turning and in sloppy conditions it always wanted to go forward in preference to steering round corners.

It was just a prototype the idea was to save on rubber due to a dire shortage at the time, a number of three ton trucks were also converted with bren carrier componants. I often wonder if in the long run and had they gone into production would all the extra maintenance been worth the effort and did it improve cross country mobility that much. The Germans seemed to enjoy some success with the mauliters based on Opels and Mercs.

It was just a prototype the idea was to save on rubber due to a dire shortage at the time, a number of three ton trucks were also converted with bren carrier componants. I often wonder if in the long run and had they gone into production would all the extra maintenance been worth the effort and did it improve cross country mobility that much. The Germans seemed to enjoy some success with the mauliters based on Opels and Mercs.

There is still a fair bit of rubber in the Valentine road wheels so the whole idea seems a bit flawed.

Thank you for your replies. One would have thought that, with perseverance, AEC could have overcome any problems they encountered with this vehicle in the same way other makers had with their half-track designs. Does the White half-track need some special mechanism to allow the front wheels to overcome the effect of it's tracks and steer properly ?

No, but they do have front wheel drive which the German designs didn't this helped in muddy and off road conditions and it may also be do to the length of track on the ground that would allow a bit of slip when cornering hard.

Thank you, very interesting. I'm sure you're right when you say that the length of the track in contact with the road would have an effect. There's a White half-track that usually attends a local show I shall be going to in a few months time. I'll make a point of having a good look at it this year.

• 2 weeks later...

The first two with the blue cab was in residence a few years ago in Snodland in Kent, any one know if it was saved. The Wynns one i saw whilst working in Essex some years back i believe the owner was named wood or woodland? i do believe this one was restored. The last one i know almost nothing about but it was run by Cayton service station at Scarbourgh, it would be interesting to find out the make of crane on the back

hmvf1.jpg

hmvf2.jpg

hmvf3.jpg

hmvf4.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Found this picture recently , it shows a douglas timber tractor parked facing oncoming traffic , on double yellow lines on the approach to a pedestrian crossing .Anyone know who,s it is ? . Surely this is not the image we want to give out to joe public about vintage vehicles .

joe pic.jpg

I must stop lending my Douglas out......... I don't see a picture of the drivers face, so I can say with all confidence, "It wasn't me , Officer"

And were the yellow lines unbroken and properly terminated? ... and isn't that Rushden High Street anyway, which is a one way street?????

Edited by antarmike

I must stop lending my Douglas out......... I don't see a picture of the drivers face, so I can say with all confidence, "It wasn't me , Officer"

And were the yellow lines unbroken and properly terminated? ... and isn't that Rushden High Street anyway, which is a one way street?????

According to the magazine article(POLICE WANTED VEHICLES WEEKLY) it was taken in Driffield town centre the owner being recorded as Nick Finch .?