Matador Gallery

Ask me this time next year... yours is a very nice example, just what I'd be looking for- but I'm still a skint student at the moment, s' dependent on me getting a halfway decent graduate job. Want to get one sooner rather than later, before buying houses, settling down and real life in general gets in the way.

What is the "going rate" these days for a useable, roadworthy example? Don't want perfection, I'd never use it if it was and could never afford it anyway.

Ask me this time next year... yours is a very nice example, just what I'd be looking for- but I'm still a skint student at the moment, s' dependent on me getting a halfway decent graduate job. Want to get one sooner rather than later, before buying houses, settling down and real life in general gets in the way.

What is the "going rate" these days for a useable, roadworthy example? Don't want perfection, I'd never use it if it was and could never afford it anyway.

ahh reminds me of when i was your age , well it was only 2 years ago . now i own an explorer of my own the wanting for the vehical of your choice will only get worse the more time u spend on the forum so i of hope to see u on here alot lol

I'd love a big Scammell too- Pioneer, Explorer or Constructor, I'm not fussy:-D

But a Matador is the number 1 choice, and it's almost sensible compared... You are only young once after all. Seems a better use of my money than widdling it up the wall like most folks my age seem to, that or on flash cars. And it's probably a safer investment than putting it in the bank, I'm unlikely to lose much should I have to sell it a few years down the line anyway- ignoring running and maintenance costs of course, but that's a small price to pay for the enjoyment factor methinks.

Rambling now, s' bedtime!

I'd love a big Scammell too- Pioneer, Explorer or Constructor, I'm not fussy:-D

But a Matador is the number 1 choice, and it's almost sensible compared... You are only young once after all. Seems a better use of my money than widdling it up the wall like most folks my age seem to, that or on flash cars. And it's probably a safer investment than putting it in the bank, I'm unlikely to lose much should I have to sell it a few years down the line anyway- ignoring running and maintenance costs of course, but that's a small price to pay for the enjoyment factor methinks.

Rambling now, s' bedtime!

ramble on all u like mate nice to meet some one of my age group with the the same views and interests personly i cant see y so many kids our age just piss it up the wall on drink . when we can go to shows and have twice the fun and end up in the beer tent anyway ,lol hope to catch u around at some shows maybee if u can drag yourself away from all that uni work

nick

• 2 weeks later...
Douglas simply turned the shaft around. However the rear bearing cap needs modifying to take an oil seal. you can't just swap housings as the rear one incorporates an gearbox mounting point. Some gearboxes had a double ended shaft, with a spline to drive the turner winch at the front, and a flange to take a hardy spicer coupling at the rear. They take some finding but they are out there. I have only ever seen two and I have both of them!

I have one in my matador 774 fbd and another for spares the one fitted in the matador drives a short drive shaft with a drum brake on the end

That's a pretty example- how a bus recovery unit should look in my opinion.

I wonder if she is still there...

It was sold on e-Bay about three years ago for £1200 ( I think ) by a chap near Heathrow. There was no rear bodywork and the crane was loose. I guess someone is looking after it.

C r jacksons matador still at work

Jacksons converted this about 20 years ago i sold them the jib and anchor from my scrap matador that came from NP Timber at Kettering ,they sold the same matador to NP 20 years before that .Hows that for a bit of recycling!

605 abm loading elm at chicksands about 1973 driver bernard berrows

Great picture i bought 605abm from NPtimber 23 years ago along with 618ayd for spares i made one motor out of the two this is why CR Jackson ended up with the spare jib .NP also had bcs675 i found this 2 years ago and bought it it now stands next to 605abm once again

Don't think you can beat a few colour pictures of matador's working back in the day, these pictures must be from the late 60's or early 70's. As ever always immaculately turned out, this was George Fensom's matador.

The Fensoms have a reputation for immaculately turned out Matadors, but the truth is they had a couple of nice ones for the Walnut Vaneer trade, but they also ran some dogs. People who knew them said that they didn't know how some of them made it back into the yard.

George is more normally remembered with his Federal.

But Fensoms were using Matadors right up to the Middle 80's.

When everone else had started using F86, F88's for timber haulage, Fensoms responded by re-engining several Matadors with bigger engines.

These reved no faster, so Fensom's still carried on swapping diffs fbetween laden and unladen jouneys. Time to change diff according to Albert 10 to 15 minutes.

I have made mention in another thread but I will post this here as well.

In the late 1960s when I was a kid growing up in Sussex we lived between Fletching and Nutley. In the area around Sheffield Park and Splaynes Green there was a Matador often seen working timber. I credit that vehicle with starting my interest with good honest working vehicles.

Anyone know who that was and have any pictures?

R