pop up adds!!

Ashcollection

Question

It has been said many times in the thread, Ad Block Plus is the answer for computer users, (I cannot comment for phones).

It stops adverts everywhere, that includes YT.

I am a chrome user, in the top right corner just below the close window cross you should see what looks like a jigsaw puzzle piece, click it and go to manage extensions, type in adblock plus, install and wave goodbye to adverts.

It will take a little time to tune itself. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rog8811 said:

It has been said many times in the thread, Ad Block Plus is the answer for computer users, (I cannot comment for phones).

It stops adverts everywhere, that includes YT.

I am a chrome user, in the top right corner just below the close window cross you should see what looks like a jigsaw puzzle piece, click it and go to manage extensions, type in adblock plus, install and wave goodbye to adverts.

It will take a little time to tune itself. 

Tried that, get the message 'no search results found'.

22 hours ago, Oh Five said:

I do not understand all this chat about Firefox and Edge and have no idea how to import passwords. Should I ask Regina Celi who now wants to talk to me as well as Veronica? 

Why is this happening? 

Firefox is a browser, which is what you use to go on the internet. If you have a Windows PC you probably use Internet Explorer or its new version, Edge. Chrome is another browser, made by Google.

If you want, you can download and install Firefox for free here: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/ . It does not remove or replace your current browser, just gives you another option. Once installed, you can add apps (like on your phone) and one of those is Adblock Plus. If you download that one it should take care of most ads/pop-ups. Let me know if you (or anyone else here) need some help with this.

Importing settings and passwords from another browser saves you the trouble of having to do that manually.

It is indeed strange that the webmaster / moderators haven't posted anything yet. Looks as if the Russians or the Chinese have taken over... 😡Think they are very interested in military vehicles, but they haven't realised yet that this forum is all about old material. 😄

In the light of Richard's comment above I can only suggest that the webhosting company has changed something unilaterally.

Whatever the reason it has, to me at least, rendered the forum completely unusable, and for that reason I am now out. I will check back in a while to see if the issue is fixed, and it does strike me as odd that out of the half-dozen or so forums I participate in (including one I run) this is the only one affected.

I offer my sincere thanks to all those who have made this such an interesting place for so long and wish you well for the future.

Google Chrome user, with AdBlock installed (for free) and I've never seen ads on here. I use chrome on both my pc and my phone. I wouldn't have even known ads were a problem here if not for this thread. In fact, AdBlock is currently saying that it isn't blocking any ads.

I'm genuinely shocked there are people out there now, browsing the web without an adblocker installed! I also don't understand why people have been given this simple solution but would still rather declare that they are never coming back?!

• Like 4

On 6/23/2023 at 12:48 PM, RAFMT said:

I'm genuinely shocked there are people out there now, browsing the web without an adblocker installed! I also don't understand why people have been given this simple solution but would still rather declare that they are never coming back?!

Same, but not everyone is computer-savvy... My dad managed the basic things just fine but anything more complicated or slightly out of order, TeamViewer to the rescue!

But no new posts for a few days now, are the ads gone?

Adding Adblock Plus to my Chrome browser has abated the nuisance for browsing from my PC, however the site remains utterly intolerable when browsing from my Android phone using Chrome. There is - apparently - no adblocker available for android chrome.

I still fail to understand why this has suddenly and seemingly spontaneously just started happening when previously it didn't. Has anyone raised this with the web-host, whoever tha may be? Given that the admins seem to be unaware of any change, it disturbs me that that someone, somehow, has cause this just to commence.

From a business perspective being in a situation where a third party can apparently unilaterally effect a change which alienates a significant proportion of your customers seems rather unsatisfactory!

On 6/23/2023 at 11:48 AM, RAFMT said:

Google Chrome user, with AdBlock installed (for free) and I've never seen ads on here. I use chrome on both my pc and my phone. I wouldn't have even known ads were a problem here if not for this thread. In fact, AdBlock is currently saying that it isn't blocking any ads.

Good call, took about 15 seconds from start to finish using Win 10 & Chrome. All ads have vanished on here, Gmail and YouTube.

Edited by radiomike7
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, utt61 said:

Adding Adblock Plus to my Chrome browser has abated the nuisance for browsing from my PC, however the site remains utterly intolerable when browsing from my Android phone using Chrome. There is - apparently - no adblocker available for android chrome.

On my Android devices I have installed the free 'FAB Adblocker Browser: Adblock' by Rocketshield. I use it mainly for youtube and it kills all the ads there, so I imagine it should work fine when visiting the forum too. Available in the Play Store, with other adblock browsers like this one.

11 minutes ago, Jack said:

Morning all - they should now be dialed right back!

Just checked on my "mobile device" and its not noticeably better.  In fact your post in the activity list is dominated by an advert. Go figure...

What has changed to get to this situation, I noticed some detail changes on the site as well but they might have happened at another time ?