pop up adds!!

Ashcollection

Question

I have installed an Adblocker and unfortunately it isn't working.

I view the site mainly on the go on my phone yet now 3/4 of my screen is taken up with ads so I can't view and as soon as I start to scroll more pop ups appear....

I've gone from checking out content a couple times an hour to now once or twice a day....not good.

7 hours ago, Rootes75 said:

I have installed an Adblocker and unfortunately it isn't working.

I view the site mainly on the go on my phone yet now 3/4 of my screen is taken up with ads so I can't view and as soon as I start to scroll more pop ups appear....

I've gone from checking out content a couple times an hour to now once or twice a day....not good.

I'm using this one for Firefox (my browser): https://adblockultimate.net/ and also AdBlock Plus. The only ad I see is for an insurancebroker for MV's, which I allowed so the forum can generate some income.

On 6/27/2023 at 5:59 PM, utt61 said:

Adding Adblock Plus to my Chrome browser has abated the nuisance for browsing from my PC, however the site remains utterly intolerable when browsing from my Android phone using Chrome. There is - apparently - no adblocker available for android chrome.

I still fail to understand why this has suddenly and seemingly spontaneously just started happening when previously it didn't. Has anyone raised this with the web-host, whoever tha may be? Given that the admins seem to be unaware of any change, it disturbs me that that someone, somehow, has cause this just to commence.

From a business perspective being in a situation where a third party can apparently unilaterally effect a change which alienates a significant proportion of your customers seems rather unsatisfactory!

Adblocker seemed to resolve the issue to a tolerable level when browsing from my "real" PC, but there are (apparently) no similar advertisement blockers for Android phones browsing with Chrome, so access from my phone remained unbearable - at least until yesterday, when just as mysteriously and suddenly as the advertisements appeared, they seem to have disappeared and the forum is back to how it used to be.

I have no idea why this is or what is happening (nor how long it will last), but if this is down to Moderator intervention, then my sincere thanks to the Moderators! 

48 minutes ago, utt61 said:

Adblocker seemed to resolve the issue to a tolerable level when browsing from my "real" PC, but there are (apparently) no similar advertisement blockers for Android phones browsing with Chrome, so access from my phone remained unbearable - at least until yesterday, when just as mysteriously and suddenly as the advertisements appeared, they seem to have disappeared and the forum is back to how it used to be.

I have no idea why this is or what is happening (nor how long it will last), but if this is down to Moderator intervention, then my sincere thanks to the Moderators! 

Just looked at  my iPhone and HMVF is still full of unwanted adverts and nearly impossible to scroll without opening one. No problem with PC now I use Adblocker. Not sure of a solution with phone.

Very weird, I've just connected to the forum from my Android phone and it is still delightfully ad-free.

It's rare that someone with a scabby old Android phone can gloat over an iPhone user, so I will make the most of it while it lasts!

Does anyone actually know what is going on and what has caused all this malarky?

• Like 1

I almost always use my laptop for browsing the net ( Firefox and Adblock ). I can't stand a tiny ( 6.5 inch ) phone screen unless I really have no other choice.

I've just looked at this thread on my Android phone ( Samsung A52 ). There is one advert ( not pop-up ) above the Allied Forces banner advert, then nothing else until the bottom of the page, below all the comments and the "Prev /Next" page links.

Going the the American Vehicles section and looking at my Jeep thread, there is one advert above the Allied Forces banner advert again, then amusingly, two identical "Turn Off Ads" adverts, one above and one below the "Prev /Next" page links, then the thread comments begin. There's no other adverts until the bottom of the page, with once more two identical adverts, one above and one below the "Prev /Next" page links and then some further ads below that.

• Like 1

On 7/6/2023 at 9:42 AM, utt61 said:

Adblocker seemed to resolve the issue to a tolerable level when browsing from my "real" PC, but there are (apparently) no similar advertisement blockers for Android phones browsing with Chrome, so access from my phone remained unbearable.

I do not use Chrome at all. I have read that Google are blocking/disabling all adblock plug-ins / extensions.

On both PC ( Linux or Windows ) and Android phone I use Firefox. I add the Ublock Origin extension. From the default I also activate Annoyances >  Easylist Cookie Notices. I also have the Google Cookie Consent Pop-up blocker. I do not directly use Google as my search engine but indirectly by using Startpage as my home page.

I only browse HMVF on my PC and have been totally unaware of any problem. There is the Adrian Flux or Allied Forces Ltd advert neat the top of the page, nothing else.

Edited by david1212