War Film...vehicle fails...

Rootes75

Just got back in and turned the telly on to the last hour of Ice Cold in Alex.

Lovely film and I have watched it many times but it still makes me smile when the closing scene comes on and the camera pans past a swb Series 1 Land Rover! 

Just made me start thinking about all those war films and how often the wrong vehicles are still left in shots.

Bedford QL in  John Mills 1958 Dunkirk film .

QL not made in 1940.

Bedford OY would have been  so much better as France was littered with them in 1940 .

Good film otherwise.

Craig.

Edited by XS650

Though not a vehicle i did note a weapons based fopar in the film "the mechanic"

At some point the lead player is banging off a number of rounds from an automatic weapon and we get a slo-mo of the target and the ejected cartridges.  His target was disintigrating but the cartridge cases had crimped ends, obviously blanks.

Edited by rog8811

Suppose there will be thousands of film anomalies.

Forgiveable with rare vehicles like just about anything axis and much armour.

But not so much for allied soft skins in fifties/sixties/seventies  films where the correct vehicles and first hand knowledge were very much still around.

Craig

Edited by XS650

I was watching a nice documentary about the Lancaster last night, it was talking about its development from the Manchester.

But when it was discussing the Manchester it showed some period footage of the Manchester flying but it was actually showing Hampdens and this kept being repeated during their discussions.

The film "71" depicting Belfast in 1971 shows a grey Mk 2 RUC Humber Pig

RUC Pigs had not been painted grey. They were green as they were deployed for rural patrols, not riot control.

In 1971 the RUC had no Humber Pigs, they had been transferred to the Army & taken on census with ERMs in the 27BT** series.

In 1971 there were no Mk 2 Pigs, even so the wing mirror position shown was a mod introduced in 1977.

All RUC vehicles carried Belfast registrations, not Londonderry.

7561 UI.jpg

The 1995 film Sahara, its more about an American saving our bacon but that's another story....

There is a scene where we first get to see the Germans approaching through the desert....in a White Half track by the looks of it...

I agree with an earlier post, a lot of these films get the German vehicles wrong and I would agree that's cause of a lack of available survivors.

I can't remember the title but there was a docu-drama about 35 years on the events in N.Ireland in August 1969.

So we have two RUC Shorlands painted grey. They were never grey, they were green as these vehicles were the replacements for Dingos in rural patrols by the RUC Reserve Force. The Shorland on the left is a Mk 3 that didn't exist in 1969 & not a MK 1, but I forgive them that as there were only two surviving RUC Shorlands. The one on the right is ex-RUC & I owned the other.

There was also an Army Humber Pig in the film but that was a Mk 2, there were no Mk 2 Pigs in 1969.

App1171 (Medium).jpg

Despite it being my favourite war film, A Bridge Too Far does have a Leopard 1 driving over 'Arnhem' bridge. Sadly about 20 years too early and an even bigger shame how much effort was made into ensuring the Allied equipment was pretty much spot on. 

For those into podcasts this one is worth a listen: Fighting On Film | a podcast by Fighting on Film (podbean.com) - especially as they have a section which regularly talks about vehicles and armaments on display.