Saracen ownership - viable?

trophy160

Being ignorant of them ...what is it about them that is duff ??..:-)

shame ,cos they do look good though... a proper bruiser of a thing !.

The kick-down peddle will attempt to launch you through the turret due to gearbox bus-bar adjustment. Fluid fly wheel needs constant monitoring. The accumulators when working well are fine but when not can be gitts. All the stuff buried in the engine compartment has to come out for some repairs. Other wise they are a fantastic drive and in the hands of a top driver will go like the clappers.

Wish I had one and petrol station.

People own and run them so yes it's viable. Not knowing how mechanically competent you are and what maintenance or repairs you are prepared to do its hard to say if you should get one or not. There are plenty of parts about so no issue there.

Chris

Well I guess I'm mechanically pretty competent have rebuilt land rovers from ground up and done various other total rebuilds on cars but as with the Ferret I would be concerned that ignorance of how it goes together/is meant to work could result in a pretty big f*** up on my part. So access to good manual or general description of components etc would in my mind be a prerequisite. Are there any good write ups on their mechanicals around?

You always have to bare in mind that they were made to be looked after seven days a week, and have a really good crew of mechanics around for when they went wrong. Brake problems matched with faulty accumulators, drive belt issues, (they have eleven under the hood), and wheel station stuff. All common service problems, but yes, they are a joy to drive. See if you can get a go in a Saladin before you make your final decision. A tank on wheels is always a traffic stopper. Dont know how many there are around now though, compared to Saracens???

I had to risk booking into the site from work (verboten (sp?) to do this from official computers) but I have had a Saracen 30BA10 for about 15 years. When the posibility of getting it very cheap came up, I though who wants one of those? Complicated, fragile, no proper armament/turret and post-war??

Anyway got it after it having spent 11 years on a plinth. New batteries and a fuel gravity feed, 100 yard tow and it started and has run perfectly ever since. Normal maintenance and only repairs have been to replace starter motor and fan belts. While starter motor was playing up, we started it off the hand crank.

I can honestly say that driving it on the roads is probably the most fun you can have with overalls on! It ain't a car so don't think you can just jump in it and go, you must do the maintenance, in particular you must check ALL the oil levels before any use. If you compare it to say a tank then it is 98% of the fun but only about 25% of the aggravation. Compared to a ferret it is about 110% of the work for 200% of the fun and compared to a jeep it is about 200% of the work for about 1000% of the fun.

If you can run a ferret and can measure the circumference of tyres (swapping as necessary to maintain balance of sizes side to side) then you can easily run a saracen. Same also goes for Saladin but you cannot sleep in the back of a Saladin at shows.

Yes, fuel costs are high, less than large petrol trucks but no denying that they are pricey to run. However, you are not going to be going on holiday in it, as I said it is not a car but you certainly get a load of fun for your £30 jerrican full.

I don't disagree with Bob Grundy over very much at all but when talking about Saracens, we are at opposide ends of the argument!!

When I used to park my Ferret outside the village shop they always referred to it as a tank, imagine their faces if they saw a Saladin. Yes I agree one of those would be great, but I'm sure not cheap to buy. I would still be extremely happy with a Saracen, so perhaps I'll just keep an eye open for one and take a chance if one comes along.

Perhaps the obvious question is what to look out for when buying (assuming it is running). The Ferret I know used to leak from the wheel stations and to my mind that was the biggest problem with them (well mine at least). But what else do I need to check if buying a Saracen?

In my Airfield TA unit we had an initial allocation of 2 Saracens.

Slightly unusual being they were "Pope Mobiles" with an armoured glass turret for damage reporting.

One of the lads was ex armoured and could really throw one around.

He had a new Troop commander who wanted to show everyone what a good commander he was.

Approaching one of the Airfields nastiest sleeping policemen 2 ft across and about 18" high, that everyone crawled over, he ordered the driver to Slow down.

The look of horror on his face when Andy booted the gas was a picture, then the realisation afterwards that the much talked about suspension actually worked.

The difference in the driving experience between the Saracen and the Saladin is so great, that you wouldn't think in a million years that they were based on the same module. With the Saracen, you get the B80 screaming at you full blast, but with the Saladin, you have to keep your eyes flicking over the tacho, just so you know when to kick the GCP. Also, you feel that your hanging out of the front when driving the 'can', you can count the cats eyes as they pass under you, whereas in the Saracen, you could run a few dogs over without even seeing them...(got a 'T' shirt for that). Braking hard with the 'can', and the whole weight coming forwards makes you panic a bit, feels like the bl**dy thing is going to tip right over!

On saying all that, personally, I found the Saladin much more responsive to drive, and a load easier to steer around tight left handers.As for 'kipping in the can', no probs, plenty of room in the fighting compartment, you just have to struggle a bit getting into your maggot! :nut:

I recently took the plunge and bought a Saladin without really planning to, so didnt really know much about them other than having the perception that they are a pain in the ar*e to keep running. Whilst Ive only done a few bits and pieces on it so far (its already pretty well sorted thankfully), I have been pleasantly surprised when Ive actually read up on what is involved. There is tons of info out there, spares not too bad, and in the case of the saracen they seem to be cheap as chips to buy. Ultimately if it is what you really want youll make it work! I may of course have a very different view in 12 months!

Good luck

Timbo

Trophy,

I am in the same boat...would love one, but there seem to be a few horror stories, and others gush about them. I guess like anything, its down to finding the right one. May be worth paying someone on here who has experience with them to look at one with you....its all very well saying "look for this and that", but I think it needs that experienced eye and ear to say "that doesn't feel/sound right".

Mick

Trophy,

I am in the same boat...would love one, but there seem to be a few horror stories, and others gush about them. I guess like anything, its down to finding the right one. May be worth paying someone on here who has experience with them to look at one with you....its all very well saying "look for this and that", but I think it needs that experienced eye and ear to say "that doesn't feel/sound right".

Mick

PAY ME!!!!!!

No, on second thoughts, I love the damned things so much, as they say in Lancashire, Eeeee lad, I'l do it fer nowt!!:wow: