War and Peace Revival *New Location*

• Replies 454
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The pink lipstick stollys brother is going to drive to the new W&P Show POWERED by bedford 500 td ,,from Near Birmingham A34 to Oxford , river thames to Gravesend then A2, A260 TO FOLKSTONE...!

the things we do for fun,

You might want to recheck your route and destination as you are going too far out of your way. Although the showsite is called Folkestone racecourse, it is not actually at Folkestone, in fact about 8 miles South of Ashford. If coming down the A2, when you get to Faversham, take the A251 down to Ashford, then A20 through Sellindge and it is just the other side of the village. This will save you time and miles.

Local knowledge ;)

You might want to recheck your route and destination as you are going too far out of your way. Although the showsite is called Folkestone racecourse, it is not actually at Folkestone, in fact about 8 miles South of Ashford. If coming down the A2, when you get to Faversham, take the A251 down to Ashford, then A20 through Sellindge and it is just the other side of the village. This will save you time and miles.

Local knowledge ;)

Yeees, very convenient for you, are you sure haven't had something to do with this move:whistle:

I am very lucky to have a stable of all WWII vehicles but the Land Rovers are as welcome to me as the other vehicles on site. Its about Military Vehicles, rare and less rare, they are all MV's and they are all interesting!

Over the years, the twick off roaders have done some stirling work with the off road course and the americas field.

I'm sure there are a few of us who remember when the off road course was a free for all, and dangerous as well.

This year at w+p they did a brilliant job towing people to thier pitches.

Limit the number of jeeps/land rovers? I sort of understand that, but if this did happen the site would be half empty!:shocked:

A large section of the public seem far more fascinated by Jeeps & Land Rovers than more unusual vehicles!

For some years I used to display a Hornet/Malkara with the missiles fully elevated. Because it was unfamiliar & not been seen on the TV or films, the general perception was that is was not "real" & was probably home-made.

There would usually be far more interest in the Jeep or Land Rover parked next to me. These vehicles are instantly recognisable, the viewer may have driven such a vehicle in service or a member of the family had or they could see themselves charging around the place turning heads, especially female ones.:D

So despite their extensive numbers at shows it seems to be something the public are quite happy to see.

I'm not saying this applys to everyone who owns a ww2/rare mv.................

I have seen some owners who are very very protective of thier rare/ww2 mv's, which I understand to a certain degree.

When the public look at my landy, i'm quite happy to allow them to sit in it, and the kids love to sit in it!!

Very important to inter act with the public, IMO.

I'm not saying this applys to everyone who owns a ww2/rare mv.................

I have seen some owners who are very very protective of thier rare/ww2 mv's, which I understand to a certain degree.

When the public look at my landy, i'm quite happy to allow them to sit in it, and the kids love to sit in it!!

Very important to inter act with the public, IMO.

My Dodge is relatively rare and certainly expensive.

Still I don't have a problem with people in it AFTER they ask for permission.

You'd be surprised how many people just chuck their kids in it thinking its worthless or public property.

If that happens just ask for their car keys so you can sit in it and watch the stupid look on their faces....

I think the problem is that when the public have paid to come to a mv show, they think it is thier right to play with the mv's.

Now that i do agree with , I took my M4 HST upto Damyns Hall in Essex ( I assume its Essex !!) It is the other side of the river from me !!! and the Joe public were a F---ing night mare ,there were probably 12 kids in it with out asking at one point , when in the end I got pissed off with it and told them to get out there parents were not happy , i think that because they had payed to get in then they thought they could do what they wanted .

We did love the show so will hopefully go again this year but will rope the vehicles off from the public.

This problem seems particularly bad at the Dymans hall event, an Essex mentality? I suffered the same influx of kids in my Dodge staff car in the main display field, couldn't leave it for a few minutes so moved into the other areas nearer the reenactors and roped off plots where it was treated with more respect

Edited by Nick Johns

Now that i do agree with , I took my M4 HST upto Damyns Hall in Essex ( I assume its Essex !!) It is the other side of the river from me !!! and the Joe public were a F---ing night mare ,there were probably 12 kids in it with out asking at one point , when in the end I got pissed off with it and told them to get out there parents were not happy , i think that because they had payed to get in then they thought they could do what they wanted .

We did love the show so will hopefully go again this year but will rope the vehicles off from the public.

Had that bit of fun with the Ferret kids just love armour :-) best thing to do is to rope the vehicles off. Sad but its got to be done

I think the problem is that when the public have paid to come to a mv show, they think it is thier right to play with the mv's.

I wasn't even talking about MV shows but about commemorations like the Parajump on Ginkel Heath.

So even less right to do so. :banghead:

Had that bit of fun with the Ferret kids just love armour :-) best thing to do is to rope the vehicles off. Sad but its got to be done

Odd - I never had any problems with the OT... Neither, I think, did Tom with his.... Maybe the public are immune to the charms of Warsaw pact armour?? :-D :-D

I had the same problem the last time I went to Damyns. I went off to the stalls to come back to a whole family sitting in the Jeep. Playing with the buttons and pushing the gear stick all over the place. I just lost my rag and told them to f**k off. The father started saying they thought they could jump in the vehicles. To which I replied. Where,s your car fella. When he asked why?. I said we'll you've jumped in my motor. Let me jump all over yours???. Fairs,fair. Him and his family soon left.

I don't know what it is with that part of the world. But the people are a different breed altogether. It's a great show. But I would no longer attend for the problems incurred. You can't just walk away to see other displays or arena events without the fear of your vehicle being tampered with.

Or you didn't realise they were in the back with the door still open, put your foot down, and they fell out -I hear that can happen!:D

Poor old (young..) Karl - still hasn't lived that one down yet!!! But he's never the last one in now!! :):)

And of all the places for it to happen - it had to be right in front of the crowd line at W&P..... :wow:

• 3 weeks later...

Well I am looking forward to the new venue, a change is a good thing.

I mailed Rex with some concerns and views from what I see at the old show/site, he is such a nice chap, took all on board, said they are changing some things, implementing others etc

noted my ideas/concerns.

I know they can't please everyone, but they do a good job so let's give them encouragement, and wish them the best.

I know some of you will complain its further, it's normal, I suppose I would also, but I use it as my main holiday, where else can you go camping, have so much fun, and drive round in your vehicle etc, Im sure I know of no camp site you can do that. :shocked: And it's not that expensive, plus we get to catch up with old friends.

Yes granted it is nearer for us, but I would still go if it was 100 mile further away, it is a great show, and should be even better now they can start afresh!

we wish them lots of luck.

see you all there

Regards

shaun

• 2 weeks later...
The only problem they used to have was the unloading of tracked vehicles on the main drag to the americas fields etc just hope they think on that problem also?? as the track in does not look ideal ?

Rex has taken all the factors into account before selecting this new site, he explained in his announcement about the new site that there is other good access into the site for large heavier stuff, I don't think any large traffic will be using the narrow main access road which passes a lot of houses

Edited by Nick Johns

Reading all the comments about how far away people travel to the War and peace Show , I just wanted to say that I've travelled from Edinburgh for the last 7 years to visit the show .

Granted I don't drive a vehicle to the show , but I do travel by public transport for most of the way , then linking up with MV owning friends for the 'last bit' , then staying on site for at least 5 days .

If I didn't bother with the show I wouldn't learn new stuff about vehicles , have a good laugh with mates - and not see folks year to year .

I'm really looking forward to W&PV 2013 and its new style !:-)