War and Peace Revival *New Location*

• Replies 454
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now we need to get Reading Beer Festive moved then may be we can get 3p off a pint.

I live in Reading - you can have the Reading Beer Festival if you take the Reading Gay Pride and West Reading Festival as well...

People need to stop being negative! The extra fuel cost is a newsence I hope people dont stop going over it, (which some will) unfortunnately.

I've seen the new website and facebook page and as I have never been to war&peace I'm really looking forward to going this year:)

Some people say they don't won't civilian cars and vans mixed in with all the displays which I houndred % agree, it's nice to feel asif you have gone back in time :) thought I'd just say what I thought

Bill.

Hiya, Yes Dave looking forward to going to the war and peace show myself. It's going to be a bit of a treck for me from North Wales. A few of my mates from around here go to it every year. They keep telling me to go. So the hols are booked in work. :D Aparently they have moved the show. Do you know where to? I've got another cracking story to tell you about my pond that has just happened recently:blush:

Mallyb

mally

just look round this thread and you will see the links telling you all about it.

it's on the old folkestone racecourse.

can't wait for the story on the pond

talk to you later.

Hmm... Just worked out the route on a route planner. An extra 3 miles each way if we use the lanes, so not the end of the world for us. An unexpected change, but I look forward to it. I'm sure there will be some upsides to it as well as some downsides. At the end of the day the people who really make the show are those who bring their vehicles, or take part in so many other of the great displays put on. Most of the rest of it, bars, food, stalls, toilets (don't start on them!), the public, etc, you get at any show.

Jules

I find some of the comments on this thread very bizarre.

Rambo - you will not get free entry unless you are a member of IMPS for two consecutive years or more. IMPS costs around £28 per year to join so all in all - that equates to the entry fee for War and Peace per year. Personally I like the extras that go with being a member of IMPS (magazine, newsletters, etc) so I am a member.

I know some people feel aggrieved to pay for entry to the War and Peace show but then the same people also complain about the facilities! Unfortunately you can't have your cake and eat it too. After all, where do people think the money for the facilities comes from. I do not know of many places where you can camp for a couple of weeks with your MV, have use of the facilities and pay a measly fee of £25.

The facilities at War and Peace are slated by members of the forum for not being up to scratch but can I remind people the facilities are fine until people start abusing them. The people who abuse the facilities are unfortunately our co-MV owners. You can't really blame Rex for the standard of toilets / showers because he does get them cleaned three times a day. What more can he do?

Before I had the love trailer I use to be at the showers and loos at 6am in the morning and they were spotless. No problem with the facilities whatsoever.

The alternative is very simple - we hire a toilet every year. Not because the facilities aren't up to scratch but it does avoid a long walk. There are seven of us and it equates to approximately £12 per head. Or you could buy a portaloo for a reasonable amount. If there are no spare funds for such luxuries a bucket costs nothing!!!

The issue of showers is easily solved too. A friend of mine uses a 12v pump into a pan with water heating up from a stove. Works a treat and doesn't use much water either.

Everything can be overcome with a little thinking and adapting to the surroundings.

As for travel distance - hats of to the chappie who drives 530 odd miles to the Beltring site. Well done Sir. But in saying that - would the extra miles to Folkestone really stop you coming. Paying for the amount of fuel you use from Wales already, I'd be surprised if you stopped coming due to the extra miles. If you said, I'm not coming because I can't afford or don't want to drive 530 miles to the Beltring site would be perfectly understandable but to say the extra miles pushes the journey beyond your limits?

I wouldn't drive 530 miles for any show. Surely such dedication can cope with the extra mileage.

Neil - movement of the big toys. Lets be honest. The cost of moving the big stuff around is not cheap and I obviously know it. I'm glad you acknowledge the subsidised low loader travel that Rex provides because it is precisely these sorts of costs that the £25 entrance fee covers. Someone has to pay for the luxury of low cost transport of the tanks etc. As a big tank owner myself, I am well aware the costs will increase but then I knew that when I purchased the ARRV. Yes it's a blow but if you feel hard done by, imagine how I feel. I keep my kit half a mile from the Hop Farm!!!

I shall probably take fewer vehicles next year because of the extra costs and the aggravation of not being next door to the show site but will it stop me coming - not on your life! I suggest those with military fleets to rival the Mexican Army who are going to feee the extra miles take less vehicles. It won't ruin your time at the show.

For those members who complain about the extra costs of traveling to the new site I wonder if it will stop you going in to the arena, or driving round and round the show site!!! I doubt it. Or will you avoid the trade stalls because of the extra fuel costs? I don't think so either. Will you take less beer (god help us) or maybe less food? Not on your life!!!

The show has moved and that is that. For all the members out there who are deciding whether to go or not I'm sure you will come to your own decision in that respect and I hope you feel it is within your abilities to give the new show a chance. If not then give it a miss but PLEASE stop whinging about it.

It's life and life is not fair all the time. In the grand scheme of things it really doesn't matter. All I would say it's very annoying to keep reading negative comments when people are doing their best to ensure the show continues.

Last year when the show suffered with the very bad weather, all that appeared on the War and Peace thread was bitching about the conditions. Whilst those who complained about Gods work (Really, Rex had nothing to do with the weather) whilst sitting in the comfort of their homes, there were dozens of people doing their best to make the show happen, working 15 hours a day.

So all in all - I hope the show is a massive success. I look forward to seeing all my MV co-owners at Folkestone next July come rain, hail, snow or sunshine. The show may have moved but I never went to War and Peace because it was staged at the Hop Farm. It doesn't matter where it is staged - it's still going to be the event of the year. Give it a go - you may like it.

If people don't want to give the new show a chance, then go and do something else. Honestly - your absence will not effect my enjoyment of the new show!!

Constructive criticism welcome - whinging is not!!!

Markheliops

Markheliops

Markheliops I SALUTE YOU.....

if people dont like the game take your ball and play somewere else.

its simple really if you dont like the changes dont come and dont complain.

I wish all who are going and rex the very best for this next chapter.

regards and a merry xmas in the gararge/shed neil:angel:

Agree with most of that mark.

Must admit, ive never had a problem with the showers, always been spot on.

The toilets, whilst I agree to a point about people making them dirty, I think the biggest problem with the toilets is there are not enough and they don't get cleaned enough. Take as an example your house toilet. I live with my sister and my niece, so 3 of us use the toilet, but it still gets cleaned at least twice a week as accidents do happen:nut:

When I go to shows such as the IMPS show/overlord/bunker bash/essex mvt show, the toilets are far superiour to W+P, and it's the same mv owners attending these shows. By getting our own toilet at W+P, I feel it plays into thier hands.

Your right about finding a camp site for £30 for a week, but, a camp site is not earning money from our vehciles being there.

I would like to state that ive always enjoyed W+P, and every member of the W+P team I have spoke to has always been friendly/helpful and polite. It's just the little things that can make a difference.

What gripes me is the fact that other shows don't charge mv owners and still put on a good show with excellent facilities.

Anyway, no ones mentioned the most important thigs about the new site, where the nearest pub/tesco's/fish and chip shop!!:D

The toilets, whilst I agree to a point about people making them dirty, I think the biggest problem with the toilets is there are not enough and they don't get cleaned enough. Take as an example your house toilet. I live with my sister and my niece, so 3 of us use the toilet, but it still gets cleaned at least twice a week as accidents do happen:nut:

When I go to shows such as the IMPS show/overlord/bunker bash/essex mvt show, the toilets are far superiour to W+P, and it's the same mv owners attending these shows. By getting our own toilet at W+P, I feel it plays into thier hands.

Rambo old bean - the toilets at War and Peace get cleaned three times a day.

The War and Peace show has over 4500 vehicles exhibited and over 100,000 members of the public visit the show. How many toilets would you say is sufficient?

The other shows you mention have no where near that amount of people using the toilets.

Lee - how many toilets do you get in for the Bunker Bash and how many would you say need to be at the War and Peace show?

It's like comparing a windy day to a Hurricane!!!

I would imagine you could get in 2000 toilets and they'd still end up in a bad way!

So back to my original post - get your own loo and it's problem solved. If you like, I'll get you a subsidised luxury bucket with fur-lined rim but you have to buy your own toilet paper. x

OK, first negative.

I'm sorry but I will say this... Its what I saw or think, doesn't mean I know the entire stry by a long shot.

I thought it was a bad thing as concerned to last years show.

The rain happened a week before the show and it was clear problems would arise. Lee posted photo's early enough so it was NO surprise.

I saw 2 hired forklift kinda trucks at work.

Stall holders had a hard time getting to their pitch. Or they stood in water and mud.

After the show at least 1 stallholder was left to his own devices dispite the promise they'd help.

A stallholder pays enough in my opinion to gat more help.

There should have been (hired) tractors all over the place dropping chips earlier.

Or hire MV owners with receovery vehicles who were on the grounds.

At least in my uninformed opinion it looked very poor planned or plain indifferent.

BTW, I asked a official to help find a pitch and she was VERY helpful!! They had to content with adverse conditions like the rest of us and were the ones who had to stop people making it worse. Not a envyable job. Cudo's to them!!

The forklift drivers worked hard.

I saw Rex regularly so he looked like he kept informed of the situation.

Positive;

I did see lots of fellow MV owners helping others out. Pushing cars who stuck in the mud, warning where not to walk etc.

But I enjoyed it very much. I had brought overshoes so the mud wasn't much of a problem.

For me not attending wasn't a option, I like the show, the venue, the people and the bargains in the stalls.

We all complain, no problem as long as we try to help out a little.

I think the new venue and sole responsibility of Rex and team can improve things a lot.

Lets give Rex some credit and see after the show how it went.

Compliment him and his team/officials when it goes OK, let him/them know what went wrong.

Anyway, no ones mentioned the most important thigs about the new site, where the nearest pub/tesco's/fish and chip shop!!:D

Hythe town (where I live) is about a mile away - Sainsbury's, Waitrose, Iceland and Aldi's all there as well as Fish and Chips, Chinese, Indian, Nepalese and Italian restaurants.

The High street is less than a half mile long and there's at least 8 pubs on it although the nearest pub is probably the 'County Members' in Lympne, nice place and does food - that goes for most of the pubs in Hythe.

Hythe town (where I live) is about a mile away - Sainsbury's, Waitrose, Iceland and Aldi's all there as well as Fish and Chips, Chinese, Indian, Nepalese and Italian restaurants.

The High street is less than a half mile long and there's at least 8 pubs on it although the nearest pub is probably the 'County Members' in Lympne, nice place and does food - that goes for most of the pubs in Hythe.

Martin - any room for a Chieftain ARRV in you're drive?

Mark, me old mucker,

I hear what your saying about the toilets, but, and theres always a but................:D

Let say overlord has 10000 visitors and 1000 mv's, and has 100 toilets.

Then logic would say, w+p with 100,000 visitors and 4000 mv's needs 1000 toilets.

I don't think the problem at w+p is the cleaning of the toilets, it's just that there is not enough for the size of the show.

However, now that rex is in charge of the toilets directly, that may change.

On the subject of the new site being smaller, on ww2 site greg has said that the space that they have at the new site is more than they had at the hop farm

One of the problems at the hop farm was people taking more space than they needed.

I was camped next to a guy one year who had roped of a pitch the size of a football field!! He kept saying his friends were joining him, but they never turned up!

One of the problems at the hop farm was people taking more space than they needed.

I was camped next to a guy one year who had roped of a pitch the size of a football field!! He kept saying his friends were joining him, but they never turned up!

Last year they wanted to stop that.

Not full by wednesday, you'd lose the extra space.

Guess the weather and mud made it impractical to enforce it.

A official also came to our pitch to ask for space for people who were coming, they never showed up.

If they had, no problem for us.

On Mark's old spot, just inside the America's field on the right corner a pitch was roped off all week. Only a few Jeeps parked there in the weekend, probably because it wasn't used?.

At least it gave us a dryish spot to walk.

I think the spaces that aren't used by Wednesday will be forfeited on next show as planned for last year.

Looking forward to the new venue.

Mark, me old mucker,

I hear what your saying about the toilets, but, and theres always a but................:D

Let say overlord has 10000 visitors and 1000 mv's, and has 100 toilets.

Then logic would say, w+p with 100,000 visitors and 4000 mv's needs 1000 toilets.

I don't think the problem at w+p is the cleaning of the toilets, it's just that there is not enough for the size of the show.

However, now that rex is in charge of the toilets directly, that may change.

I think the Toilet discussion is pointless from this point forward.. it's a completely new show so no one knows what the Toilet situation or any other parts of the new site will be, as said before if anyone has any concerns then contact Rex, if anyone gets at answer on anything then they can report the Facts here.. all that the Negative speculation may do is put off those that have never attended the W&P show before

Not too sure why you are so concerned about the Toilets or any other part of the new W&P show as you have already stated in the other thread that you will not be attending the show?

I will be attending next year, same with the group I'm in, just as we have last year and a couple of years before that.. We will come if it rains, if it snows (that'd be a first I suppose) if it's dry and hot.. We see it as a week with friends from across the globe, running around in gear that we collect, seeing cool vehicles you only see in museums and buying stuff from the trading area..

The new site means less mileage for us, but even if it had moved in the other direction and added miles we would come, it's just a lot of fun :-D

I do hope we get some Arena information in the following months so we can start planning our arena battle and hope it gets approved!