Series 3 Land Rover LWB FFR Rear Road Springs

We have a 1973 Series 3 LWB FFR. The rear road springs need replacing. We have been told that to accommodate the weight of the batteries FFR's were fitted with LR Heavy Duty spec rear road springs, while others say that FFR's were fitted with the LR 1 Ton spec rear road springs. The vehicle has MOD extended shackles and sits noticeably higher at the rear than the front. Anyone know if FFR's had the Heavy Duty spec springs or the 1 Ton rear rood springs fitted ?

Thanks

Mike Williams

Find the part No. on the spring(s)  -  if identical then they are 1 Ton.  IIRC the 109" military spec.  was fitted with  HD  7 leaf & these have differing RH & LH numbers , find the branded numbers and order same.

Thanks for the quick response. We have cleaned off the springs but cannot find any numbers. The surfaces are quite corroded which is not helping. Any idea exactly where they were stamped? Mike

Actually - they are 8 leaf HD ,   the last of S2A  (Rover 11)  and S3 were same  GS  & FFR.  ISTR with S2A  there were odd Contract differences at rear.  The number should be stamped on 2nd leaf (IIRC the safety leaf) at one end.   272967  (drivers)  +  272969  (passenger)  If original  - then all that left Solihull were made by Bramber Engineering & this is stamped with number.  If aftermarket -  such as Santana or British Springs (Telford)  etc.  etc.  possibly Rover is stamped.  The brand marks could be cut deep or slight.  Normally all stencilled the part number in white paint under  the dressing anti-rust.  Jones Springs seem to have a good reputation (they made/make for LR Reborn)  ,  however the ones I have seen are stencilled but not stamped.   For number - look at end(s) of safety leaf that wraps around the main leaf silent-bloc bush -  wire brush / light rotary sander clean up should find.   In service  ISTR the fronts were not raised on shackles ,  rear always was - there are shim washers on shackle bolt , you need to make certain this is done right to pack shackle plates correct.  I forget procedure - been abt. 40 + years since I last did , normally I am 88" CL  &  LWT.  To be honest - normally the std.  109" rear ,  IIRC  11 leaf (it varied over years) should be considered.  You get a good ride unladen  + the thick helper leaves come into play abt. 1/2 ton in tub.    My  109" S2A needs new rearsprings fitted - I have used spare but good/rusted  LWT  7 leaf HD's that I will fit , I could put the helpers back on but I hardly ever get to 750kg payload & at a pinch - I have AEON hollow rubber buffer helpers  (these were often fitted to S3  MOD 109's  inc.  FFR - ask me how I know , I have tried to salvage the alloy adapter to chassis, screws rust & they always corrode /casting fracture).   IIRC the MOD spec. front springs may have had extended bump-stops  (IIRC procedure on extended shackles) - same / similar bump-stop as LWT with later  7 leaf front springs that had more free camber.  These extended bump stops are now unobtanium but bog-std type is easily converted.  Almost certainly with HD springs - you will have HD shocks.