Reporting Live from W&P 2012

Marmite!!

• Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm looking forwards to time spent sitting round talking with mates , a few beers round the fire of an evening ,the usual nonsense we get upto every year including some fantastic food cooked in camp .... what ever the weather that won't change , bring on the mud ..... if going to bed in a gale inside a tent with a steady rain blowing between myself and the Mrs was nothing more than funny at A&E then W&P holds no fears for me....... I can't wait...... may not sleep in the hammock this year though.

with the talk of 'trenchfoot' here and there, I will be bringing a quantity of army foot powder .stall A33/34 !

should sell out quickly by the sound of things:-D:-D

On a lighter note, the rain wont put a dampner on the show, we have all been wet muddy cold or hot and dusty before ,Its all part of the great atmosphere that makes us attend and return each year.

Im there from Sunday all being well.

I just hope the GINGER GAMON bar doesnt get flooded !

Looking forward to being there

Hi I am getting worried - it is on next week - I haven't go the wrong dates? I am visiting next Wednesday & Thursday as a spectator. Just seems that people setting up now must have a long time off work ;) Anyway really looking forward to the show and thank all you exhibitors for making it such a wonderful event - I really enjoyed last year, my first. Cheers, Graham

Indeed 2007 was a great show even with the mud!

imgp1626j.jpg

Dare I suggest there is MUD - and there is the other MUD.

The mud above looks like the result of a heavy downpour on rock-hard ground, resulting in slurry on top of firm going.

The pictures currently being beamed in from HMVF's MUDCAM clearly show mud of a different nature - the result of vehicles churning up totally saturated ground with a hard base maybe quite some way down. Just my own humble opinion gleaned from many years of digging and jacking and packing :cool2:

Dare I suggest there is MUD - and there is the other MUD.

The mud above looks like the result of a heavy downpour on rock-hard ground, resulting in slurry on top of firm going.

The pictures currently being beamed in from HMVF's MUDCAM clearly show mud of a different nature - the result of vehicles churning up totally saturated ground with a hard base maybe quite some way down. Just my own humble opinion gleaned from many years of digging and jacking and packing :cool2:

I bow to a true mud man ! If anyone knows about soil its you Tony !:bow::bow::bow::D

I bow to a true mud man ! If anyone knows about soil its you Tony !:bow::bow::bow::D

That's a great point Andy - NOS needs to a field report for HMVF, top soil, sub soil, bed rock - the lot!

I am on the Allied Forces stand all week and I think I am sleeping in the stand at night - so please wipe your feet or take your shoes off before entering. Thanks :-D

Why not :laugh:

It is certainly not a hard and fast rule, and you do have to read the lay of the land too, (I've asked Bernard to draft a disclaimer for me :red:), but try the following true story.

The uncle of a good friend was a WW2 British tank driver on the Arnhem trail and beyond (north). He was the son of a Lincolnshire farmer and knew a thing or two about the land. Somehow he never got his tank stuck, while all the other drivers had great fun and games.

One day the commanding officer pulled him to one side and asked why on earth it was he managed to avoid the troubles experienced by the other drivers. He replied ' Well Sir, I always aim for the water - you see where there is water laying on the surface it's often because the ground is generally firm enough to hold it. Where there is no water, it's usually because the ground is usually soft enough to let the water soak in'.

I've tried it when in a difficult situation quite a few times - and it's worked each time. If you think about it too long though you end up bottling out (done that a few times too!! :nut:)

Why not :laugh:

It is certainly not a hard and fast rule, and you do have to read the lay of the land too, (I've asked Bernard to draft a disclaimer for me :red:), but try the following true story.

The uncle of a good friend was a WW2 British tank driver on the Arnhem trail and beyond (north). He was the son of a Lincolnshire farmer and knew a thing or two about the land. Somehow he never got his tank stuck, while all the other drivers had great fun and games.

One day the commanding officer pulled him to one side and asked why on earth it was he managed to avoid the troubles experienced by the other drivers. He replied ' Well Sir, I always aim for the water - you see where there is water laying on the surface it's often because the ground is generally firm enough to hold it. Where there is no water, it's usually because the ground is usually soft enough to let the water soak in'.

I've tried it when in a difficult situation quite a few times - and it's worked each time. If you think about it too long though you end up bottling out (done that a few times too!! :nut:)

Thank you Tony , before Bernards legal team swings into action I shall be holding you responsible for any Pig embarrassment in the following week ! IE when I'm sitting there stuck up to my axles the immortal words "Tony made me do it" will be shouted to anyone who utters the words " Well you didn't wanna do that did you mate" :D:D:D:D:D

Oh no no no, you do as you see fit Andy - Pigs love mud anyway don't they?

Another benefit of water is it helps to keep the treads of the tyres clear - when in soft mud they instantly bung up and you are left with a spinning disc of mud against mud, like that Renault-looking truck Heliops was trying to back out earleir.